Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #2
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 10:09am

Post #26 of 47 (362 views)
Shortcut
Round 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying to do better, have to get at least one point Wink.

1. Oin and Gloin. Firestarters and well informed about furnace with wings.

2. The Arkenstone. Shiniest of shinies, sparkler or all the sparklers and something Thorin loves (so, that one I have correct, at least I used Thorin...)

3. A bat. He took the wrong turn down the tunnel. In stead of going to the inside of Erebor, he went into the Batcave, and Batman does have a nice security system, as soon as you enter, you have bats flying all around you.

4. A mithril coat, made for an small elven prince. A good thing shiny was still in fashion, so Bilbo could wear it on top of his shirt. When Frodo got it, shiny was so totally out of fashion, he had to cover it up, otherwise he would have been the joke of the Fellowship.

5. The front of the front gate. Big gates, these dwarves have built. Lots of look out towers, where ravens live and there is enough room for a dry sleep (although very cold, when you don't want to make a big light).
And if that is incorrect, it has to been Thorin's secret hide out place, where he keeps all those lovely hair jewelry and lotion to keep it shining like it does in that torchlight of yours.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 11:25am

Post #27 of 47 (391 views)
Shortcut
A... [In reply to] Can't Post

mithril mail shirt!

Brings to mind a photo caption for a pic of Bilbo opening a letter: "It is my Dwarf-mail, that Thorin gave me."

Yes, I think I'll move along, also...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 2:31pm

Post #28 of 47 (356 views)
Shortcut
Am I late? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before B ilbo starts his explorations?
Fili and Kili, being the youngest, have more energy for chores than the others

2. As Bilbo climbs the great mound of treasure inside the hall, he finds something amongst the treasure and pockets it. What is this thing he finds?
What has it got in its pocketses? The Arkenstone!

3. After Bilbo climbs down the great mound of treasure, what causes him to fall backwards and drop his torch?
A bat -- or Batman, who could have been more help.

4. What does Thorin give Bilbo as the first payment of his reward?
A pretty thing-- a mithril shirt, worth more than the whole Shire.

5. After the Company leaves the underground palace through the Front Gate, they head for a place some five hours’ march away. What is this place to which they head, where they then camp for the night?
One of the outpost lookouts around the mountain.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2013, 5:48pm

Post #29 of 47 (361 views)
Shortcut
Mounds of jools or hockey-pucks? [In reply to] Can't Post

And imagines shiney Thorin imagery for Ro: :D

Thanks for this, Roheryn! I'm admittedly stumped on a bunch of these, but I'm taking a flying shot at it!

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before Bilbo starts his explorations?
Cripes! They all look the same to me! ummmm… Fili and Kili usually get the dirty jobs ;)

2. As Bilbo climbs the great mound of treasure inside the hall, he finds something amongst the treasure and pockets it. What is this thing he finds?
*shudder* Well… there has been a dragon living there for a buhzillion years. So I'm not sure I'd pick up anything that is part of a mound *sniff, sniff* Unless it's a massive gem that looks like an Arkenstone!

3. After Bilbo climbs down the great mound of treasure, what causes him to fall backwards and drop his torch?
Remember the mounds of sniff sniff? Need I say more?

I went to a wasted mountain kingdom, battled a dragon, and all I got was this lousy shirt.

5. After the Company leaves the underground palace through the Front Gate, they head for a place some five hours’ march away. What is this place to which they head, where they then camp for the night?

They're just trying to get out and back to food and fire somewhere… so they head back to the fires of Lake-town… though now they're a little more intense than they were before.

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 5 2013, 5:52pm)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 6:22pm

Post #30 of 47 (345 views)
Shortcut
I've been looking forward to this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't do the first quiz:
I haven't read the book in ten months...

1. Fili and Kili.
2. The Arkenstone.
3. A bat.
4. A hug. He's good at those.(I'd take a hug from Thorin over a hoard of treasure as an incentive ANY day).
5. A Middle-earth Theme Park. They decided never to do it again, because Kili feels a little low-spirited after not being able to win a stuffed Mumakil for Tauriel.

Þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg - that has passed, so may this.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 7:56pm

Post #31 of 47 (344 views)
Shortcut
Sorry! Cranial flatulence at number five [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant "mumak", not "mumakil". Blush

Þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg - that has passed, so may this.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 6 2013, 1:19am

Post #32 of 47 (310 views)
Shortcut
*high five* So glad you're here :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Coming out of the shadows to play Roheryn's game is PERFECT!!!

Please stick around :D

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

sador
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 10:09am

Post #33 of 47 (410 views)
Shortcut
This whole place stinks of dragon-repellant. And cram is beginning simply to stick... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before B ilbo starts his explorations?
Any normal author/director would send the two dwarves with shortest beards, thus the least likely to kindles themselves by accident, wouldn't they? Thus Kili and and the neatly-and-elaborately-groomed Dori were the best choices.
But no. The stupid Thorin just had to send Oin and Gloin.

Not hands... not knife... not string... not nothing.

I know! Throrin's precious - the Arkenstone!

Heights always made him giddy (Out of the Frying-pan Into the Fire). When trying to balance nimbly on a couple of crossbeams and get to Thror's great cup, he tripped and fell.

But in the book he blamed a bat. Yessir, Mr. Baggins, we believe your story.

Hmm... I think both you and Thorin himself use the wrong term. It is "down payment" - the terms are "cash on delivery" and while Smaug is still at large (as far as they know) the treasure hasn't been delivered yet, as Bilbo himself soon says.

The "first payment" Bilbo tried to take was the Arkenstone. But the first (and only) down payment he was actually given was the mithril-coat (which eventually saved Frodo's life) and the helmet (which eventually saved Bilbo's).

The old watch-post, which Balin inexplicably remembers, dispite being only seven when he was driven out of the Mountain.
With more justification than legitimacy, Jackson decided to play with his hero's ages.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2013, 1:26pm

Post #34 of 47 (323 views)
Shortcut
I can't even think with the Dragon looking over my shoulder! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Oin & Gloin? They are the fire starters of the group.

2) The advance copy of the AUJ extended edition!

3) After months of no second breakfasts, Bilbo's stomach is much reduced and is no longer an effective counterweight. Thus, he tips over backwards unexpectedly. One of the many hazards of eating healthy!

4) His silverware back. And here Bilbo had been blaming Lobelia for stealing it this whole time!

5) Well, in AUJ, I think the Carrock is about 5 hours march from the Lonely Mountain, so I'm going with that.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 6 2013, 7:10pm

Post #35 of 47 (298 views)
Shortcut
Another stab at it... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before Bilbo starts his explorations?

"Ow!in' & Glowin' ", reformed pyromaniacs (after a bad experience with non-wool fiber knitwear and sparks), went back to fetch these marvels of technology.

The poshest sweater stone in existence, the Arkenstone AKA Aikenstane/ Eikenstein/Oakenstone. Silly accents! Instead of simply shaving/abrading pills off knitwear, this prism burned them off like ants under a magnifying glass on a bright summer day. Also great for dwarven grooming!

This relic of old Dale, kept for Smaug's private amusement.

This mail-shirt, made with this.

The old Ravenhill Knit Night clubhouse, where the look-out posted by the outer door was too busy with his Starbucks coffee and brownies to notice the approach of the crochety dragon and warn the others.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 6 2013, 11:48pm

Post #36 of 47 (295 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before B ilbo starts his explorations?

Bert and Ernie

The scripts for season 3 of Sherlock.

Rabid fangirls trying to get to Thorin.

Cake. But wait...there is no cake! The cake is a lie!!

Disney World!! They stay at Fort Wilderness.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2013, 6:25am

Post #37 of 47 (301 views)
Shortcut
I'll just apologize now - this is going to be bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

My attempt at answers, that is - Mediocrity Bench, here I come!

Umm... Fili and Kili? Oh, wait, I don't know the answer, so (refers back to rules)... Thorin!

The Arkenstone! No, I got it: pocket-handkerchiefs! Or Thorin's comb?

Gollum popping out and yelling "Boo!" right in front of him - silly Gollum! Oh, wait, that can't be right, so (refers back to rules again)... Thorin!

Thor- oh, now, that doesn't make any sense at all! So... a thousand Galleons? (got the reference in this time!)

The local KOA Kampground (caravan park) - the one with the showers, right next to the Denny's so they all get a hot meal, too. Sorry, Ro - I just can't figure out how to work Thorin into this ans- oh. I just did. Never mind!

I'll just go sit quietly over there, now. *nods toward Mediocrity Bench*

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Rolfina
Rivendell

Feb 7 2013, 11:54am

Post #38 of 47 (281 views)
Shortcut
real quick [In reply to] Can't Post

No funny business this time, just the sad remnants of my memories

1. don't know, Dwalin and Ori?
2. The Arkenstone. THE ARKENSTONE!
3. don't remember. Something Smaug said?
4. Mithril
5. Some sort of guard station atop of the entrance. Was it really 5 hours away? I always pictured it right above the main gate.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2013, 9:31pm

Post #39 of 47 (260 views)
Shortcut
*****QUIZ CLOSED***** [In reply to] Can't Post

Answers & results to be posted when I get a Round Tuit!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 7 2013, 10:32pm

Post #40 of 47 (266 views)
Shortcut
Stab? WIth knitting needles, of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great, EoPW! And I think I'd like one of those sweater stones...! Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 7:50am

Post #41 of 47 (261 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #2 Answers & Results [In reply to] Can't Post

*Ro tiptoes in, trying to hide singed hair* Well, that was fun! We’ve made it through Smaug’s lair and back out again, and nary a sign of dragon! Thanks to all who participated. Average score was a 2.8, so plenty of company to be had on the Mediocrity Bench! Answers and results below, and as always, please let me know if you have any questions.

What’s that? My hair’s burnt? Residual dragon-flame, I swear! *wanders off muttering about needing to keep candle-flames away from head*

Answers

a. Oin and Gloin [Just like in AUJ, they’re the firestarters in the book! For once it’s not Fili and Kili being sent off to fetch something.]

a. The Arkenstone

a. A bat swoops at him and brushes his face.

a. A small coat of mail, made of mithril; a belt of pearls and crystals; and a light helm of figured leather. [full credit for indicating at least one of these]

a. An old look-out post on the South-West corner of the mountain (later named Ravenhill).

Results

5 Points (and big shiny gold stars!):
Angharad73
Aragalen the Green
sador
Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Eowyn of Penns Woods

4 Points:
Bellerock
dernwyn
Elberbeth
Nira
GwaihirWindLord

3 Points:
Eowyn3
entmaiden
Rolfina
Elessar
Silverlode

2 Points:
SirDennisC
The Prancing Pony
Ataahua
arithmancer
Ruxendil Thoorg
Eledhwen
grammaboodawg
BoromirOfWinterfell

1 Point:
Arandiel
NottaSackville

0 Points (but very nice IEC):
ryouko
Eruwestial37
CuriousG

Invisible Extra Credit (thanks for the laughs!) to: Angharad73; Aragalen the Green; sador; Rosie-with-the-ribbons; Bellerock; dernwyn; Elberbeth; Nira; Eowyn3; entmaiden; SirDennisC; The Prancing Pony; Ataahua; Ruxendil Thoorg; grammaboodawg; BoromirOfWinterfell; Arandiel; NottaSackville; ryouko; Eruwestial37; CuriousG

Double-IEC to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the inspired knitting theme (impressive!), and to arithmancer and Silverlode for making me truly laugh out loud with their musings on Thorin.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 9 2013, 4:16pm

Post #42 of 47 (239 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

7/10 so far

I totally messed up a couple of these. I couldn't remember the dwarves or bat one at all.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 10 2013, 2:51am

Post #43 of 47 (228 views)
Shortcut
Thanks!... And when you're done... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Since Bullroarer's gentler descendant let the posh one go, would you mind sharing?"

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 10 2013, 2:54am

Post #44 of 47 (220 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for bringing these back, Ro! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 2:44pm

Post #45 of 47 (221 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Proof that Hobbits... [In reply to] Can't Post

... are quite into knits! Nice design on that one! Smile

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 10 2013, 4:03pm

Post #46 of 47 (209 views)
Shortcut
It's Icelandic. Your daughter may be appreciating the warmth of Álafoss Lopi soon. =) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2013, 11:20pm

Post #47 of 47 (305 views)
Shortcut
Batting .500 :-D! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.