Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
a few thoughts on my 7th viewing today.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 5:29pm

Post #26 of 38 (237 views)
Shortcut
If you happen to see it again - [In reply to] Can't Post

look at the size of the helmet at the base (there's a bit of strap hanging there I think). It is far too large a helm for any dwarf-sized person. Compared to Frodo the thing looks big enough for an orc chieftain -- that is larger than man-sized even.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 4 2013, 5:29pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 4 2013, 5:53pm

Post #27 of 38 (214 views)
Shortcut
I think we're going [In reply to] Can't Post

to see that it comes from the Battle of Five Armies... though it's awfully big for Bilbo to carry back. Maybe Balin brings it as a gift later on when he visits with Gandalf?

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 4 2013, 6:05pm

Post #28 of 38 (329 views)
Shortcut
That fish that Dwalin eats at the beginning -- is that real? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see Viggo Mortensen in Hidalgo? Remember the scene when he ate the locust? He said in an interview that the locust he ate were made out of sugar. Hence the tasty crunchiness and the reason Hidalgo (his horse) and he both ate them with gusto!

I'm thinking they did the same thing with Bilbo's fish head that Dwalin eats. Maybe he couldn't divulge the secret in an interview? I know believe it's sugar makes it a lot easier for me to enjoy that CRUNCH! CHOMP! CHOMP! CHOMP!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 6:49pm

Post #29 of 38 (221 views)
Shortcut
Funny, I am the opposite! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea of Dwarves eating fishheads whole. Smile More massive/powerful bodies for their size should translate to stronger jaws and teeth too! I loved that moment (and Bilbo's reaction, LOL).

irreality
Bree

Feb 4 2013, 7:24pm

Post #30 of 38 (204 views)
Shortcut
Icelandic horses [In reply to] Can't Post

"As others have pointed out, they're in hairy makeup just like the actors! No one bothered to remember before wanting shaggy ponies that ponies are only shaggy in winter. However, I actually find this degree of shagginess rather excessive: few healthy ponies will actually grow that much hair, even in winter (and certainly never in summer). Ponies (or horses) that shaggy likely have a thyroid problem called Cushing's disease, which amongst other problems means they grow really shaggy hair and never shed. So when I see all those really shaggy ponies, as much as I would rather just find them cute, I can't stop thinking they all need some serious vet treatment."

They are Icelandic horses, I believe. In the winter, they can be pretty shaggy. E.g. http://www.hedweb.com/.../icelandic-horse.jpg

But yeah, bad call not realizing horses shed!

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Feb 4 2013, 7:33pm

Post #31 of 38 (185 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

2. 2D/24fps Wow, this is really blurry by comparison, I can hardly focus on scenes with sweeping camera movements, especially the first panning shots inside Erebor.

This really struck my son and me when we saw it the second time (after the full 48fpsAtmos3D first). The 2D panning was just a messy blur (Dale, as well as next door in Erebor), and was far more distracting than any quirk of the newer technology. As we left, my son (8YO) said "It looked more like a DVD than a Blu-Ray."

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

kiwifan
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 7:38pm

Post #32 of 38 (193 views)
Shortcut
It's mentioned in Brian Sibley's 'TH: AUJ The Official Movie Guide' [In reply to] Can't Post

in the chapter called 'Arming the Dwarves', p. 142 ff.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 7:50pm

Post #33 of 38 (190 views)
Shortcut
Oin [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Oin mistook the thrush for a raven because of his damaged ear-trumpet (I think it was chirping when it flew by).

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 10:37pm

Post #34 of 38 (162 views)
Shortcut
Unless that ear-trumpet normally also improves his eye-sight, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think its being damaged could be an excuse for not being able to tell a thrush from a raven!

Thrush: around the size of an American robin, depending on the species (actually, robins are in the thrush family, so technically they are thrushes too), usually brownish on top with brown-streaky underparts; spends a lot of time hopping on the ground. Smallish insectivore beak.

Raven: Around three times longer and maybe eight+ times heavier than a robin; shiny coal black. Waddles when walking, not so much hopping. Massive beak.

Really, it boils down to small brown bird vs. huge black bird -- Oin ought to be able to tell them apart even if he were *looking* through his squished ear trumpet!

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 11:28pm

Post #35 of 38 (149 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he is short-sighed [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I wouldn't be able to tell a thrush from a raven without my glasses (probably not even a pony from a donkey) Blush.

Hehe, the image of Oin trying to look through his ear-trumpet. Laugh

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Nerwen
Bree

Feb 5 2013, 1:03am

Post #36 of 38 (135 views)
Shortcut
I agree, the ponies looked distractingly fake [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the idea of the fur suits was to make them look like ponies when they are in actual fact horses. Real ponies would have been too small to be ridden by the actors (not saying they couldn't necessarily carry their weight as many pony breeds are very sturdy, just that it would look stupid with legs dangling near the ground...)

"Eyes that fire and sword have seen
and horror in the halls of stone
look at last on meadows green
and trees and hills they long have known
."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2013, 2:11am

Post #37 of 38 (122 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2013, 6:59pm

Post #38 of 38 (89 views)
Shortcut
**Double checked :)** // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.