Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Problems for DoS
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mrredbirdy
The Shire

Feb 4 2013, 5:31pm

Post #26 of 34 (247 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's death and Saruman's death [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminds me of the problem they had with Saruman's death in lotr.
It finally was set in the beginning of the 3rd movies extended edition, which worked out fine eventually I think, but You start There and Back Again as the beginning of the third movie, as it is maybe the climax of the hobbit.
I'm sure they'll work it out however...

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 5:50pm

Post #27 of 34 (234 views)
Shortcut
However,... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the big difference here is, that Saruman's end had no impact on the rest of the storyline. The only thing that changed was how the Company got hold of the Palantir.

Smaug's death, however, gets the whole politics aspect rolling.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 6:36pm

Post #28 of 34 (219 views)
Shortcut
I was expecting the Dol Guldur and Smaug - [In reply to] Can't Post

- battles to occur in DOS, with the Battle of Five Armies (in the third film) being the consequence of both of these earlier events.

A White Council 'victory' at Dol Guldur could free up the surviving Orcs and other evil minions there to take part in a more profitable venture, presumably led by Bolg or Azog.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Elrond and other members of the White Council, as well their forces also somehow turn up at the Lonely Mountain.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 9:19pm

Post #29 of 34 (202 views)
Shortcut
We are only guessing at where Dol Guldur will be in the film... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien places the Council's attack at about the same time that the company is escaping from the Wood-elves' realm. Jackson could do the same.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 10:39pm

Post #30 of 34 (188 views)
Shortcut
I actually think they might tie the two together [In reply to] Can't Post

and replace the 'party' which distracts the elves with a wood-elf attack on Dol Guldur that makes it easier for Bilbo and the Dwarves to escape.

The elves could be provoked into doing this by encountering the spiders when they capture the dwarves, and wanting to reclaim the woods.

That'd be a nice way to tie the two stories together.

Then as the white council/wood elves/whoever else is involved in the wood elves attack discover Sauron has escaped from Dol Guldur, Gandalf could remark "Where he has gone I do not know. It can only be hoped that the company of Thorin Oakenshield address the issue of the Dragon before he does..." Cut to Thorin and Co siting on the mountainside.

(obviously they would have to include Laketown in the middle of this somehow).

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 10:45pm

Post #31 of 34 (212 views)
Shortcut
Well, we don't know that the White Council didn't request Thranduil's aid... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, we have no evidence that the Council did so, either. Nor, is there any hint that the Wood-elves even knew about the assault.

Not that Jackson couldn't involve them; I just don't like the idea much.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 2:15am

Post #32 of 34 (160 views)
Shortcut
No, No, No [In reply to] Can't Post

What PJ did to Aragorn's character is criminal. Aragorn is a type of the Christ King. He didn't want to be king; he was king and accepted that burden from the time he was told who he was. His struggle was to understand what that meant and PJ didn't understand that at all.

Aragorn's character arc is subtle and beautiful. His whole life is a striving to become the last king of the Elder Days. He is the perfect king who knows his people intimately and rules for their greater good. He is willing to die for the least of his subjects even before he is crowned. He goes to battle before the gates of Mordor for no other reason than to give Frodo a chance to fulfill his quest' even though he is well aware that he may die and lose all that he loves.

There are few greater characters in literature than Aragorn son of Arathorn.

And yes I am passionate about this issue.

totoro
Lorien

Feb 5 2013, 6:29am

Post #33 of 34 (135 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see a proper ending to DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not holding my breath, but I think it would be quite refreshing to just tell the story about the company taking the mountain and Smaug being slain. That is a proper ending to a movie. Then hint about what is to come as all eyes turn towards Erebor.

I am pretty sure it will not go down that way, though. The 6 months between movies suggests cliffhanger. I think we will see Smaug winging off to Laketown at the end of DoS.

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 5 2013, 6:51pm

Post #34 of 34 (245 views)
Shortcut
There's plenty for the dwarves to do [In reply to] Can't Post

Even with the dragon flying off to Laketown and Dol Guldur is far away. The big question is how much of the battle with Smaug will appear in each of the remaining two films. Film three is really where it gets tricky, except for the big battle. It's a sit around a wait situation.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.