Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
In Memorium

RangerLady23
Lorien

Feb 2 2013, 9:06pm

Post #1 of 14 (297 views)
Shortcut
In Memorium Can't Post

On January 18th, 2013 my beloved Grandma, Molly Dell Smith, joined her extensive family in Heaven at the age of 87.
She was more than just a Grandma, more than just a teacher and mentor, she was my sounding board, my confidant and my rock. She taught me so many things from cooking her famous flour bowl biscuits and delicious peanut butter fudge to passing on her love of embroidery and her ability to make the perfect stitch.
I now love to embroidery and have a natural knack for it given to me by her.
She said almost up to the day she passed that I had surpassed her in making beautiful stitches and it truly is a compliment because hers were gorgeous.

She was born in 1925 in a tiny little house outside of Williams, Arizona, had one brother, Mac, who was three years her younger and she was brought up knowing how to ride, ranch and truly live. She taught herself how to play guitar, crochet and yodel. She loved the Western way of life but even more she loved her family and held them dearer than any material goods she had or could ever possess.
Molly loved to dance and missed it dearly after developing Arthritis in her 60's and she regretted that she never got the chance to show me the dances she loved as a young cowgirl.

Gran rode many horses during her ranching years, but her true favorite and hands-down best mount was a cowhorse named Snip. He would go all day and never tire, was spirited but never mean and would do anything you asked him to.
He was a true gem and she loved him dearly. it broke her heart the day he died. I believe when we lose something we love, be it a family pet, a horse, a loved one or even a coveted treasure, that we leave a big part of ourselves behind and Granny lost a big part of herself the day they laid her horse in the ground.
She lost her mother when she was just 45, her father a few years later and her brother died unexpectedly at 54. She was 57 and now left alone out of their tight knit group of four.

She loved being a grandmother to me and my two older cousins and was thrilled the day she became a "Great" back in 1995 to a healthy baby boy.
For all my 23 years she was either sharing a house with my mother and I or just across the family owned place living with my oldest cousin and I never had one day, not one day that I did not see or touch or talk to her and I think that is the hardest part.

Of all the things she taught me, I think I value her reading to me every night before I could for myself and as a result I was reading very well by the time I entered 1st grade.
Gran loved books. Any kind of books. If it had a cover, pages and she had access to it, she would read it.
Westerns, fantasy, classics, she loved them all and would devour them in short order. That's why it was such a shock to her to lose nearly all her sight to Macular Degeneration and she missed holding and feeling and reading her beloved books.

She and I could talk for hours about any subject and she especially enjoyed listening to my conversations about LotR and she loved hearing all the details from the Special Features that I would tell her about and she regretted not being able to watch them for herself.
Her and I listened to all the soundtracks together and she thought they were all beautiful.
She was lucky enough to read LotR and The Hobbit before she lost all her sight and listened to them twice more on audio.
Gran loved them even though she never understood them to the level that I and other Ringers do.

She was amazed at my poetry and it brought tears to her eyes each time I would read a new one. She wanted nothing more than to see me become a published poet and be recognized for my work.
She told me once, to my embarrassment, that in all her years of loving cowboy poetry, she now liked mine better. A compliment to be sure since the art does have many greats, past and present.
She never turned away a chance to watch the trilogy or listen to me discuss it and that's because my dear Granny was the type of person that even if it was soo not her cup of tea, if you liked it, she liked it for you.
Nothing negative about my interests ever escaped her lips.

There will never be another like my Gran, I will miss her voice, her touch, her caring, her lessons, but most of all I will miss her.
Her light has now gone from the world and I only hope I can continue her legacy if only in some small way.

Heart I love you Granny and I will see you soon.

"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West..."--from the Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

Heart Molly Dell Smith 2-4-1925 to 1-18-2013 Heart

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2013, 9:36pm

Post #2 of 14 (115 views)
Shortcut
Wow, what a special lady. [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful relationship you had with her. I love the huge variety of her talents and interests, and especially how she would like something for your sake, even if it wasn't, as you put it, her cup of tea. You're lucky to have had her in your life for so long, and very lucky to have been able to live so close to (or with) her. I never lived nearer than 5 hours away from my grandparents (usually much further), and wished that I'd been able to be closer to them over the years. Treasure those memories; they'll keep you warm and safe over the years, and eventually you'll be able to remember them without too much pain.

Your description of her love for her favorite horse brought tears to my eyes...I know how she felt, as I lost my most special, favoritest, once-in-a-lifetime horse (who I'd had for 21 years) a couple months ago. His passing has left a huge hole in my heart, and I completely understand how painful that is to anyone else who has such a special equine friend.

Hang in there, and know we're all thinking of you. {{{RangerLady23}}}

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 2 2013, 9:43pm

Post #3 of 14 (110 views)
Shortcut
Really sorry to hear of your loss [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds as though you were both lucky - you to have your gran, and your gran to have you.

I love to hear people talk about parents or grandparents who read to them as children - it's a real gift to give the love to books to children.

I know your memories will be a great comfort to you, not just now but forever. That all-enveloping love is so special.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 2 2013, 10:02pm

Post #4 of 14 (122 views)
Shortcut
Sending you strength [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you and your family can be sustained by your wonderful memories of a very fine lady. You can carry her pride in you for the rest of your life, and know that you're worthy of it.

As our good professor writes: We are not bound forever to the circles of this world, and beyond them is more than memory.

All the best to you in this difficult time, RangerLady23. Heart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 2 2013, 10:19pm

Post #5 of 14 (142 views)
Shortcut
A heartfelt thank-you: by RingerLady23 (reposted to cosolidate two threads) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all my fellow Ringers who posted such heartwarming replies and who prayed so hard for my grandma and my family.
I knew that the Ringer community was where I belonged but you guys went above and beyond! Kudos.
We sadly lost my dear granny on Jan. 18th (see reply post under Off Topic-Prayers needed) and I still need all you guys to lend me strength so send it to me fellow fans and thanks again to all of you.
You guys are awesome!!!!! Heart Heart Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 2 2013, 11:38pm

Post #6 of 14 (122 views)
Shortcut
That was a heartfelt out-pouring of the heart young lady. [In reply to] Can't Post

She is an amazing woman and i enjoyed very much getting to know her.
She will always be with you, you know. The small things such as time and space, do little to stop the embrace of Love that exist between you both. It really has no bounds. Let her continue to guide you.

Yes, i truly believe you will continue her legacy, because if you ask me, you are her legacy.

I just know she would want you to live fully; as she showed you,
and to love wastefully; as she loved you,
and the courage to be everything you are capable of being too, being an example of that herself.

I can see her raising a dust trail to the horizon. She needs no chariot, because she is one with Snip now, flying in the wind feeling wild and free.

And that is a glorious thought:)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 3 2013, 1:38am

Post #7 of 14 (105 views)
Shortcut
What a beautiful tribute. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so very sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing lady, and you do too.

I don't know if this would appeal to you at all, but just in case I'll mention it. After my mom died, I opened up an e-mail account for her and I write to it often. I put in an auto-reply that says something like "I can't answer your e-mail in detail right now, but I love hearing from you." When I get that reply from "her" it feels real. I'm always writing to her, sharing bits of news of the sort I know she'd like.

Big hugs to you. It sounds like your grandmother's presence in this world will continue in you and your family. Keep that light shining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2013, 3:00am

Post #8 of 14 (137 views)
Shortcut
What a blessing [In reply to] Can't Post

she was to you and your family...and you, to her. Heart

She truly had a life well-lived! She is in Peace, now, and I pray for peace also for you, and comforting, and when you do something, do it for her - for she will always be with you. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 3 2013, 6:16am

Post #9 of 14 (206 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this, RangerLady [In reply to] Can't Post

It brings back sweet memories of my Grandpa. A grandparent is someone to cherish. This was a beaytiful piece.

Þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg - that has passed, so may this.

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 11:40am

Post #10 of 14 (82 views)
Shortcut
So sorry for your loss! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your wonderful tribute has me sobbing like a baby. I can hardly type my reply. You were a great granddaughter to a spectacular lady & are very fortunate to have had her in your life. I think the bond between grands is even stronger than the mother/daughter bond but that may be just me. You will find in the years to come that your grief will be transformed into happy memories. Good luck to you!

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 3 2013, 12:52pm

Post #11 of 14 (103 views)
Shortcut
a beautiful legacy to have [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely lady! She was (and is in memory) a very special person, it sounds as if she lived, loved and enjoyed her family and life to its fullest extent. Your words really brought your granny to life, I could picture her in my mind.
I feel that the bond you and your granny have will always be there, kind of like Mary Frye's poem:
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry
, I am not there; I did not die.

(This post was edited by Ciars on Feb 3 2013, 12:53pm)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 6:38am

Post #12 of 14 (82 views)
Shortcut
What lovely memories [In reply to] Can't Post

She sounds like a very, very special lady. I'm sure that she would be very touched by your tribute...well, that she IS touched; she will always be with you. Though you didn't get to have her physical presence as long as you would have liked, you were fortunate that you had such quality time together. I'm sure you were a blessing to her as she was to you.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 7:57pm

Post #13 of 14 (59 views)
Shortcut
A lovely tribute... [In reply to] Can't Post

for a lovely person, to be sure.

Losing one's that we love is so hard.

While I don't know you or your beloved, grandmother, I wish my sincere condolences to you and your family.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2013, 9:50pm

Post #14 of 14 (141 views)
Shortcut
A lovely tribute to an amazing lady [In reply to] Can't Post

She was clearly well-loved, and will be much missed. She's certainly left you great gifts to remember her by.

May she rest in peace. I'm sorry for your loss.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.