Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Kicks In Door!* It's FIESTA FRIDAY!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2013, 9:23pm

Post #51 of 62 (48 views)
Shortcut
Just big enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

Big enough for my mealworm colony, the old dog at night, and variously the younger dog, a cat or two, and now the rooster at night too. Oh, and Mr. Ro's laundry table. The thing he liked best about this house was that there was room in the laundry room for his laundry table. Me, I like how many critters I can fit in there!

Daisy the rooster is living in/by the house right now as he came down a bit sick a couple of weeks ago, got attacked by the younger rooster, and clearly needed some time apart to heal and recover. Coming inside at night helps keep him warm, which should speed recovery; he's also been to the vet and had a round of antibiotics (didn't seem to help much). Most people think I'm crazy for taking a rooster to the vet, and then for bringing him in at night, but he really is a very gentle sweet giant of a rooster, and we all like him alot... (yes, he was supposed to be a hen, hence the name).

Yes, old animals are just as much work as baby ones, only old age seems to last a lot longer! I don't think I've slept through the night in nearly 8 years. I think I've forgotten how.

Wish I could go see AUJ three times in its last three days...we live too far away from the theaters, and with the boys home on summer break (they start back to school tomorrow), and my mom living with us right now, there's too many complications for me to sneak out!

My mom's helpful comment when Mr. Ro and I wanted to go see it -- together (gasp!) and in the evening (double gasp! an evening out!!!) -- was, "Well, why don't you just move into the theater for a week?" Sigh. I love her, and she's a great help, but why does she have to be with us right now, when there's this fantastic movie to geek out over that we've been waiting years for?

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 11:52am

Post #52 of 62 (56 views)
Shortcut
The doctor [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't know what it is but I've had the problem/pain for almost twenty years. I've worked at a computer my whole life so I'm sure it's repetitive motion related. The surgery I'm having done doesn't fix the problem. They just cut a couple of nerves that transfer pain to my brain. It's possible it won't work but I'm going to give it a try.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2013, 1:48pm

Post #53 of 62 (73 views)
Shortcut
Where exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

is the pain located - and do you ever get a tingling, or numbness?

I also do a lot of computer work, and had a problem in my right hand, but now control it with regular massage therapy (it was all the knotted back muscles affecting the arm nerves).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 3:42pm

Post #54 of 62 (67 views)
Shortcut
No tingling or numbness [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done the symptom thing on line & it didn't match up with anything. The massage is a great idea-I've said for years how much my manicures help with the pain. How often do you go & how expensive is it? Does insurance cover it?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2013, 7:58pm

Post #55 of 62 (45 views)
Shortcut
Manicures! [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes sense that that would help, as you're getting the small muscles and nerves in the fingers "worked on"!

I visit my massage therapist every 5-6 weeks, for "maintenance", as we like to call it - her opening line is always, Okay, where it hurting this time! Laugh (Along with tight back muscles, she works on leg tendons which never developed properly, and between sessions she's got me doing exercises for problems associated with those.)

Here, the cost is $40/half hour, $75 full hour. She doesn't accept insurance, so you'd have to apply for reimbursement - usually a doctor's note stating that the therapy is helpful is all you need. But other therapists do take insurance, so check around!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 3 2013, 8:20pm

Post #56 of 62 (45 views)
Shortcut
I would be very careful. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cutting those nerves deals only with the symptom end and not the root cause.

An enormous thrush in my mind is making an alarming raucous screaming 2nd opinion here.

Sherlock have you pursued one? Dernwyn is one of the smartest people i know and she, plus me think rehab is something to pursue in earnest.

Massage is good but then there is deep tissue massage also. All my latter years have been devoted to finding a doctor to resolve the chronic painful areas and areas prone to re-injury that i have accumulated over the years from being so extremely physical.

Thankfully by word of mouth i found him. He is a chiropractor AND a deep tissue therapist. One note here i have tried a variety of chiropractors and never had noticeable results. They are truly not all the same.

Since going to him for more than a year, so many areas have been 'released' from 'lesions' or scar tissue (which is inflexible). I feel amazing overall. This is a route i would consider. I can hear my doctor freaking out if he heard about this story of yours.

It is just my way to be dead straight and candid. I fear some things, like what you are considering, something that cannot be undone.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 3 2013, 8:49pm

Post #57 of 62 (46 views)
Shortcut
Two things more; [In reply to] Can't Post

If you find a 'combination' doctor such as this, most insurance plans cover chiropractic with a 20 dollar co-pay each visit. And if he/she is worth their salt, only a few will be necessary.

The other thing is my doctor is a highly skilled water skier and mountain biker in his young 50's. His daughter works on him. That's another story:).

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 9:17pm

Post #58 of 62 (39 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* Got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I added it and a BUNCH of others whilst I try to get a current list ready to post today (Sunday). It's a fantastic observation! I actually gasped *WOW* when I read it!

Thanks for the heads-up, though! Please feel free to tap me on the shoulder any ol' time :D

*fondly waves*

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 3 2013, 9:32pm

Post #59 of 62 (37 views)
Shortcut
Awesome photos!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2013, 10:47pm

Post #60 of 62 (96 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I've also got a job that requires a lot of repetitive motion and can develop issues in my elbow and wrist. When they are bothering me, I have my chiropractor adjust those as well as my neck and back when I see him, and it really helps.

And massages are always a good idea. Cool

Silverlode

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 11:53pm

Post #61 of 62 (42 views)
Shortcut
mega mega Awesome Daniel :D :D that place is more than I had expected it to look like! \o/ [In reply to] Can't Post

All the best with the rest of your stay, hope the weather -suddenly- turns SW for you! Glad to see you're in great company with those pups and penguins hehehe!
ah, and apologies for not being able to keep Hobbit Headlines ... Unsure.. thought I could, but I couldn't in the end.
Enjoy!

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

silneldor
Half-elven

May 11 2013, 1:36am

Post #62 of 62 (243 views)
Shortcut
I will be waiting to see that door too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile These specialty projects require a lot of thought and it is wise to proceed slowly. Good ideas sometimes come late with the mulling. I love the old stuff.

Entmaiden will your taxes go up with the added bedroom?

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.