Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
OWN IT MARCH 19!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 1 2013, 3:05pm

Post #51 of 59 (167 views)
Shortcut
EEs require additional work [In reply to] Can't Post

But the EEs require additional work to make. They need to create all of the extra material, and they need to do the post-production work to incorporate the new scenes. Since we are talking here about a movie (AUJ) in which the theatrical version's completion came down to the wire, it seems clear that this work had not been done in December.

Yes, they could make everyone wait for any DVD until the EEs are done, but that is hardly fair to the people who are happy with a theatrical version DVD and want it as soon as possible. You could, after all, just wait for the EE to be ready, since you know it is coming eventually. While those who can't wait, or never plan to buy the EE anyway, can buy the theatrical when it becomes available.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 1 2013, 3:36pm

Post #52 of 59 (164 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I said I don't have a problem with it even if it is Aragorn. It didn't for me take away from his character at all but that obviously can be different depending on the person. I agree the Sauron idea was terrible.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2013, 4:11pm

Post #53 of 59 (156 views)
Shortcut
I think that may be your main point of contention... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's missing the main point - it's not about having two editions, it's about the timing of the releases.

But that isn't the same argument that everyone uses and initially you just stated that you were upset - upon principal - at the concept of extended editions.

So for you, as a consumer and if I understand you correctly, you are not opposed to having multiple editions, you just want all of them released at the same time, yes?

I think that's reasonable in some instances. But I also think that it's fair for a studio to try and maximize it's profit on a title (which is different than a cash grab).

The extended editions take more time, resources, and investment. They are not just taking ungraded, unfinished vfx shots, with no ADR and no Sound mixing and adding them as alternate scenes or unfinished shots like a lot of movies do. These are finished shots (graded with finished VFX), added into the existing theatrical release, with additional sound mixing, ADR, and even new scoring that didn't exist before. That's a lot of work that takes additional time and money.

So yes, timing is important to the releases and those are some of the practical reasons you don't see them as simultaneous releases.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Feb 1 2013, 4:12pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 10:54pm

Post #54 of 59 (134 views)
Shortcut
I know exactly what you mean, and I feel almost exactly the same, though [In reply to] Can't Post

I watch them with the story and great moments in mind, while disregarding (and sometimes skipping) the moments that don't fascinate me so much. They could pair TTT down to Gandalf and The Balrog, The Black Gate, The big White Rider Reveal, the excorcism of Saruman from Theoden, Arwen and Aragorn, Arwen and Elrond, The Story as Forseen from Lorien, Smeagol Sam and the Potatos scene, and key Helm's deep moments, and I would be satisfied, as those are the scenes I love the most, and the ones I really watch it for. In ROTK, the paths of The Dead and the very last Sam ending could go missing, and I wouldn't really miss them. The Crowning and Havens endings of ROTK are SOO Powerful, and a wonderful end to the series. I do love watching those scenes. There are scenes in TTT and ROTK more wrenchingly powerful than probably anything in Fellowship or An Unexpected Journey, but I find for the whole experience, I have a more enjoyable experience overall in watching the other two.

And Extended Fellowship. . . I am completely hooked, at least until they leave Lothlorien. . . and then I love the scene with Legolas and Gimli concerning Galadriel's hair. I do not doubt that An Unexpected and Fellowship will get more watches for me than the last pair of films. We will have to wait and see how we feel about Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Agan.

In Reply To

In Reply To
Unlike EE Fellowship, which was better than the Theatrical in every aspect, so much so that I wish it had BEEN the theatrical.

I might be alone in this, but I liked Fellowship (EE) the most out of the three movies, and I keep wanting to watch it, but then I have to watch the other two movies just for the sake of finishing. While I also love watching TT and RotK, I tend to watch them for the 'great moments', but secretly, unconsciously disregard their 'story' (if that makes sense...)

:P

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 11:08pm

Post #55 of 59 (139 views)
Shortcut
Completely disagree. For one thing, one doesn't always have time for the EE. More importantly, ROTK EE is full of glaring, awful, error. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't watch it all the way through. Too infuriating. I really, really HATE the erroneous liberties taken with the Gandalf vs. Witch-King scene. It misrepresents very badly, and people who don't know better take it as cannon. . . which makes me see red.

I spit on that scene. EE ROTK sits in its beautiful blue case (makes me sad that Fellowship didn't get that prettier case) on my shelf collecting dust. And there it shall remain.

In Reply To
I have never watched the Theatrical editions of the LOTR trilogy after getting the extended editions. The theatrical editions don't exist as far as I am concerned.

And frankly when it comes to money the EEs are a much better deal with a snappier, classier presentation, MORE awesome scenes and moments and score AND amazing commentaries and hours of insightful behind the scenes footage.

It's because of the extended editions that I'm in the film industry today.

So I guffaw on your shoddy principles. Crazy

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

nenyacaster
Bree

Feb 2 2013, 2:17am

Post #56 of 59 (127 views)
Shortcut
I see... [In reply to] Can't Post

If there are no new/exclusive special features, then I will wait for the EE. I'm actually surprised that it's coming out so soon, as I didn't see the LOTR movies when they came out, I only saw the EE's many years later and thought they must have all been released after ROTK.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Feb 2 2013, 6:42am

Post #57 of 59 (103 views)
Shortcut
Best of both worlds... [In reply to] Can't Post

For us EE fans near a Redbox, rent the TE a few times for less than $5 total (even Blu-ray), then get the extended when it comes out Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2013, 8:19pm

Post #58 of 59 (85 views)
Shortcut
OMG!! *spasm* BUT... I will not [In reply to] Can't Post

be pre-ordering through Amazon. I did that for the release of the Soundtrack, and I didn't get it until nearly a week later. Normally, they time the shipments so you receive them on the release date or the next day. NOT THIS TIME! SO... I'll be standing in my local 24-hr store to buy it at midnight. Then sitting up the rest of the night WATCHING IT!!!

*geeky hand clapping* T'WILL BE AWESOME!

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Lonely Mountain
The Shire

Feb 3 2013, 3:04pm

Post #59 of 59 (166 views)
Shortcut
Removed release date? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
http://www.thehobbit.com/

scroll down! so this should be thoe official release date of the dvd and blu ray!

They removed the release date and it says "now playing" instead. Do you think they accidentally put a wrong date on the page and therefore removed it?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.