Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Rohan Marley? Owns a coffee plantation in the Blue Mountains?

Kirly
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 2:28am

Post #1 of 12 (446 views)
Shortcut
Rohan Marley? Owns a coffee plantation in the Blue Mountains? Can't Post

This is probably old news but I haven't been around much in years. But, there I was watching In The Kitchen With David on QVC (I like kitchen gadgets!) and they announced that "Rohan Marley" would be joining him and that he owned a coffee plantation in Jamaicas Blue Mountains. Did Bob Marley and Janet Hunt name their son after the land of Rohan in Tolkien's books, I wonder. And didn't the Dwarves exiled from Erebor settle in The Blue Mountains? It just struck me as unusual. And brilliant!

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 7:11am

Post #2 of 12 (258 views)
Shortcut
Rohan is not an unsual name [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a male name in Sanskrit. We've had a Rohan at our school.
Rohan Marley is a very cool name. Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 11:15am

Post #3 of 12 (238 views)
Shortcut
We have a Thorin at my school. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the first grade. His classes' book swap is on Wednesdays. So every week I get the chance to say "Enjoy your book, Thorin!". And try to say it without a big geeky grin. Evil

(No, he doesn't have long dark locks, his hair is short and very Scandinavian blonde.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 12 (238 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my daughters-in-law is from India, and a friend of hers has a son named Rohan. There's also a Rohan in Brittany, France, and a noble house that sprang from there.

A nurse at the local hospital is named Arwen. When I asked her, she said yes, her parents named her for LotR.

elevorn
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 5:07pm

Post #5 of 12 (223 views)
Shortcut
just got a puppy... [In reply to] Can't Post

named her Eowyn, call her Wynnie for short. Yes indeed she is a strong spiritted pup with lots of bravery and at the same time is just as pretty as can be. (Golden retreiver lab mix)

Not sure if this fits the discussion but thought hey why not throw that one out there.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 7:02pm

Post #6 of 12 (209 views)
Shortcut
Photos! [In reply to] Can't Post

Got any pics of Wynnie to share?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

elevorn
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 7:13pm

Post #7 of 12 (199 views)
Shortcut
I'll try to post some later, gotta resize for the boards// [In reply to] Can't Post

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 7:23am

Post #8 of 12 (201 views)
Shortcut
Just think, [In reply to] Can't Post

in a few years kids called 'Azog' will start enrolling at school. Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2013, 10:40pm

Post #9 of 12 (217 views)
Shortcut
Erk... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more Arwens, it is a lovely name!

I get the impression that Thorin's name may be in the family, as his last name is a Scandinavian one. I've yet to meet any kids named after any of the other Dwarves (fortunately!).

Unless you really want a Fili or a Kili in your class...Angelic

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 2 2013, 8:00am

Post #10 of 12 (250 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's Dwarf names came from the (Nordic) Poetic Edda [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll see a lot of familiar names here. I note that Durin was created second, while Thorin just appears in the list with no special distinction. Gandalf appears in the list with no special distinction, either.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Feb 2 2013, 8:04am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2013, 2:46pm

Post #11 of 12 (209 views)
Shortcut
That's why [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this youngster's name is probably cultural, rather than from The Hobbit. I wonder if someone who's from a Scandinavian country could tell us if names from the Edda tend to be commonly used there?

What's curious is that I've heard his teacher pronounce it almost like "Torin", without a distinct "th" sound, but the "T" is soft, almost on the edge of being a "th".

Asger
Bree

Feb 8 2013, 5:34pm

Post #12 of 12 (282 views)
Shortcut
Exept for 'Finn' [In reply to] Can't Post

...none of the dwarf-names from either the Edda or the Hobbit are in common use in Denmark and I don't think in Norwegian og Swedish either. Might be in Icelandic, though, that's much closer to Old Norse. In Denmark 'Thor' is always pronounced 'Tor', well: 'TŰr' with a long 'o'. I've even got a son called 'Thorfinn' as middle name.

In Reply To
I think this youngster's name is probably cultural, rather than from The Hobbit. I wonder if someone who's from a Scandinavian country could tell us if names from the Edda tend to be commonly used there?

What's curious is that I've heard his teacher pronounce it almost like "Torin", without a distinct "th" sound, but the "T" is soft, almost on the edge of being a "th".

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

(This post was edited by Asger on Feb 8 2013, 5:37pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.