Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
To dub or not to dub...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2013, 2:09am

Post #26 of 34 (96 views)
Shortcut
Never dub... [In reply to] Can't Post

always sub...

title.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Feb 1 2013, 8:25am

Post #27 of 34 (85 views)
Shortcut
I caught a screening in Berlin [In reply to] Can't Post

Was there on family business, and at the Sony Center they show mostly OV, I guess for the tourists. I was glad I got to watch the HFR without having to endure the dubbing, and now I know that I don't have to travel all the way to Berlin for that again, because HFR did nothing for me.

Verbal_Daggers
The Shire

Feb 1 2013, 9:43am

Post #28 of 34 (80 views)
Shortcut
screening in Osnabrück [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Osnabrück and I think I caught the only 3D HFR OV showing in the city - the only thing that bothered me was that it was at 11 in the morning on a Sunday haha but I couldn't miss out on that experience.

I think I will manage to catch the Hobbit 2 & 3 in 3D HFR OV as well since a cinema in a city nearby (Münster) showed the Hobbit 1 for a couple of weeks in 3D HFR OV - the only problem was that they showed it so late that I would have missed the last train back. The one week when they showed it at earlier times was around christmas when I was at home with my family... So I'm pretty confident that I will also be able to see the other installments not dubbed and in HFR :))

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 1 2013, 9:45am

Post #29 of 34 (83 views)
Shortcut
I saw it dubbed and subbed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in German. The quality of the dub was good, but not excellent like LOTR was.

In Cologne, we have a special movie theatre (Metropolis) which shows movies in original language, sometimes with subtitles. They even have 3D now (however, no HFR).

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Feb 1 2013, 9:49am)

Lonely Mountain
The Shire

Feb 3 2013, 10:51am

Post #30 of 34 (69 views)
Shortcut
No dubbing [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm from Germany and I don't like dubbed versions and usually watch movies in the original language (English without subtitles, other languages with English or German subtitles). For me it is very important to hear the actors' real voices because they are part of their performance. Besides, there aren't too many voice actors so you hear the same voices all the time and it is weird to have the same voice for different faces. Furthermore, movies often have characters with different accents and those get lost in dubbed versions. Puns and jokes also get lost very often.

Dubbed versions are especially annoying if you know the original version because then you notice all the differences in the way a character talks and you notice mistakes in the translation. Unfortunately, I had to see the Hobbit three times dubbed in German (because my friends prefer dubbing) and it was horrible because I am so familiar with Martin Freeman's and Richard Armitage's voices and hearing them dubbed sounded just wrong. The songs ("Blunt the Knives" and "Misty Mountains") were also terrible in German and made me cringe every time. I can't wait for the DVD release because then I can watch it in English again.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 2:53pm

Post #31 of 34 (59 views)
Shortcut
Im sorry to hear that [In reply to] Can't Post

i understood in Berlin there were some cinemas with the original versions.

And cheers for your position on this matter! I like it! Wink

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 3:49pm

Post #32 of 34 (50 views)
Shortcut
I prefer subbing [In reply to] Can't Post

Over dubbing. I like to hear the natural sound of the foreign language & read the subtitles. I know some people don't like it & find having to read distracts them from the movie but I use subtitles all the time for accents that are hard to make out & also when a movie or show has a lot of quick witted dialog I don't want to miss anything.

Lonely Mountain
The Shire

Feb 3 2013, 4:04pm

Post #33 of 34 (59 views)
Shortcut
Original versions [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Berlin is a couple of hours remote from where I live, but we also have one theater nearby that shows some movies in English without subtitles. The only problem is that my friends and family prefer the dubbed version and if I don't want to go all by myself, I have to endure the dubbing. But at least my first viewing was in English (I saw the movie 4 times in total Wink) and it was great. I hope that I will be able to convince someone to watch DoS and TABA with me in English.

I think the situation here has improved concerning original versions (at least when it's English). There are more theaters that show original versions than a few years back and a larger number of screenings. You also get the chance to watch some TV shows in English shortly after the US or UK broadcast if you use something like iTunes. And since the invention of DVDs you can at least watch original versions at home because they usually put both language versions on it. This was a big improvement to VHS where we only had the German version and had to import the VHS if we wanted to watch a movie in its original language. I remember that in the 90's my sister bought the VHS of Titanic in German and in English, so she had to pay for both versions and had to import it. A few years later I just bought one DVD that includes both versions - at a lower price and with less effort for me. So I guess overall I can't complain about the possibilities we have today Smile

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 5:55pm

Post #34 of 34 (117 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

it must be dull if youre the only one whao whishes to see them properly. Some conversion is in order! I watch german movies in german obviously, im sure they would feel weird of your actresses and actors work was replaced with something else...

It definiely seems to have improved, but theres still many miles to go! Wink

Titanic in german lol, have to try that out. Tongue

I usually watch one or two dubbed dvds , when im feeling a bit down and want to have a good laughLaugh

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.