Gimli

daughter.of.twilight
The Shire

Dec 5 2007, 2:07pm

Post #1 of 15 (478 views)
Shortcut
Gimli Can't Post

Hope everyone is still doing okay Smile

I was (yet again) re-watching LoTR and I thought of asking here something that I have discussed with various other people over time - namely around the character of Gimli.

I was wondering what you think of his characterisation, especially in terms of the fact that he has a strong Scottish accent in the films. And wondered further if anyone reads either positive or negative connotations into that characterisation.

D.o.T

Discussing National Identity In Jackson's Films Here

DunedainRonin
The Shire

Dec 5 2007, 2:37pm

Post #2 of 15 (342 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont know why..but I always pictured dwarves with a scottish accent. It just seems to "fit" them, and when I read about Gimli I have a scottish accent on him as well. Gandalf has a very "british" accent. I thought it was spot on myself, and I have a feeling any more movies that come out with dwarves in them are going to duplicate what mr davis did..

heck..even in world of warcraft..they have a scottish accent...

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 5 2007, 4:00pm

Post #3 of 15 (310 views)
Shortcut
well, it does help to differentiate him... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only by height, but by dialect, I guess. It did not bother me, though I am not one to understand the cultural differences involved.

Weaver

Owlyross
Rohan

Dec 5 2007, 4:16pm

Post #4 of 15 (320 views)
Shortcut
Negative in a way [In reply to] Can't Post

As the Glaswegian scots have a reputation for, how shall I put it, feistiness and temperament... So in that way I can see why they did it. The guttural qualities of the Sots accent seem to translate well into the Dwarf language, Khazad Dum sounds great said with that accent.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

daughter.of.twilight
The Shire

Dec 5 2007, 5:04pm

Post #5 of 15 (307 views)
Shortcut
You guys... [In reply to] Can't Post

... are all great! I love reading/hearing about the different interpretations that people have of the films!

Thanks! SmileHeart

D.o.T

énethoraï

Dec 6 2007, 12:40am

Post #6 of 15 (271 views)
Shortcut
I think it works well [In reply to] Can't Post

But then again, I saw the first two movies before reading the books, so unfortunately, I always pictured Gimli as John-Rhys Davies' interpretation of him.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2007, 6:03am

Post #7 of 15 (267 views)
Shortcut
Funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought dwarves seemed German, or maybe Russian -- a vague and probably incorrect impression based on perceived similarities in language. IIRC, somewhere in Letters Tolkien compared dwarves to Jewish people (I hope that's not offensive to anyone). It was very surprising to hear Gimli speaking with a Scottish accent, especially when he calls Aragorn "laddie". It doesn't really bother me, but it isn't what I had in mind.

Where's Frodo?

daughter.of.twilight
The Shire

Dec 6 2007, 4:50pm

Post #8 of 15 (273 views)
Shortcut
The impression [In reply to] Can't Post

I got from the Letters the Dwarves and the Jewish people was that it was supposed to be a compliment.

D.o.T

DunedainRonin
The Shire

Dec 7 2007, 2:04pm

Post #9 of 15 (247 views)
Shortcut
Okay...so How about this Silly question...? [In reply to] Can't Post

okay, lets do it this way...

What about the LOTR cartoons and Hobbit Cartoon?

Did the Dwarves there have a accent?

How many dwarvish characters can you guys recall besides Gimili and what kind of accent did they have?

I can think of several..but they are game based. You have the dwarves from WOW which do have the scottish accent going...

You have the dwarf from that horrible dungeons and dragons movie...he had a scottish accent...*(not to mention he was all wrong)*

*thinks* I doubt you could count the "halflings" from Willow, since they were more hobbits than dwarves, but they had the whole scottish accent going too..

anyone else?

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 7 2007, 7:05pm

Post #10 of 15 (356 views)
Shortcut
The problem with movie Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't his accent, which I like a lot, but the fact that he's used for comic relief and is the focus of way too many cheap laughs.

Jackson was generally using various British regional accents for the characters (orcs are Cockneys, for example), and Pippin has a somewhat different Scottish accent.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Dec 7 2007, 9:18pm

Post #11 of 15 (240 views)
Shortcut
You're absolutely right about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree. The few minutes of Gimli's "comic relief" moments were really my ONLY real gripes in the entire 13 or so hours of the LOTR film trilogy. I was really disappointed that he was often used to generate lowest common denominator laughs. He's always been one of my favorite characters (perhaps because I'm a stout, sturdy, hairy fellow myself!) and I found that these occasional moments of burping, farting, or tossing really robbed him of his dignity. Perhaps I'm being oversensitive, but those moments bugged me.

And since he was the only Dwarf we get to know in those films, it kind of robbed the whole race of its dignity as well.

I also regret that perhaps his finest character moment was omitted from the theatrical cut of Fellowship. His "She gave me three" moment after the Lothlorien gift-giving sequence made me seriously mist up. It was beautiful and heart-felt. Arguably my favorite moment in the first film. Which is saying a lot. They should have done more of that kind of thing. We didn't need belching and tossing.

I'm not saying the character couldn't have been used to generate the occasional laugh. But my complaint is in the kinds of laughs they went for. As a writer myself, I can tell you, there are plenty of ways you can make a character funny without sacrificing his dignity. They could have gone a hundred different ways, like playing up his bellicose and blustery side -- the proud warrior. But instead they chose the belching and farting. Disappointing.

The treatment of Gimli is really my ONLY concern about PJ & Co. possibly making The Hobbit. I have a nagging (and probably unfounded) fear of how he'd handle a whole movie full of Dwarves. I fear how goofy and base the whole undertaking could become.

Let's hope I'm just being paranoid!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

(This post was edited by BuckyUnderbelly on Dec 7 2007, 9:19pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 7 2007, 10:10pm

Post #12 of 15 (236 views)
Shortcut
There is a Semitic cast to their language. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's comparison also involved both being a wandering people whose native tongue was of a totally different character to the other peoples in the lands in which they lived.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 3-9 for "In the House of Tom Bombadil".

frodolives
Lorien

Dec 8 2007, 1:09pm

Post #13 of 15 (235 views)
Shortcut
Gimli mk. II [In reply to] Can't Post

I have completely "fixed" Gimli's buffoonery in my re-edited versions of the films. I do like the Scottish accent however.

Galadriel Lady Of Light
The Shire

Dec 21 2007, 6:19am

Post #14 of 15 (180 views)
Shortcut
I Like Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

In the films they made him funny I loved the way Gimli & Legolas Were with Each other They both made my laugh. The way they done the Gimli character in the films, (To me Anyway) He came across as someone who likes to hide their sensitive emotional side behind an image of rudeness & humor. The Fact They gave him a scottish accent made him more believable because a lot of the scotts I've met have been that way till you earn their trust.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 21 2007, 6:25am

Post #15 of 15 (191 views)
Shortcut
I'd forgotten that "she gave me three" [In reply to] Can't Post

moment was missing from the theatricals..

You're absolutely right--it shows Gimli in a whole new light AND most importantly, set (along with Legolas's smile) the new tone for their relationship. Shoulda been there, shoulda been there.

For Gondor!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.