Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What's for dinner tonight?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 30 2013, 7:09pm

Post #26 of 38 (96 views)
Shortcut
If you watch that show, [In reply to] Can't Post

then you have met my brother. He is Hank Hill. Down to the hair cut and beer drinking and the "Dang it, son!"

He recently lost the glasses when he got his eyes lasered, though. Laugh

We use the grill mostly in the summer, and when we want something cooked properly. I've got an electric stove, which I hate, having had a gas stove at our other house. I want to see that flame when I'm cooking! Dang it! Laugh

Mr. Eruvande built a stone fire pit that we use for the briskets. Here at the edge of the Texas Hill Country, there is plenty of stone to go around.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 12:40am

Post #27 of 38 (88 views)
Shortcut
P.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

Completely forgot the acorn squash, halved, turned down and heated in shallow water. We love all kinds of squash.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 1:23am

Post #28 of 38 (74 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

What, you don't want "smell-vision" on the Web? Angelic

I do like to use black beans, though, I've found them to digest rather nicely, unlike baked pea-beans. But I won't use red kidney beans, don't know why but I've always had an aversion to them...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 1:27am

Post #29 of 38 (86 views)
Shortcut
Yum! Got any leftovers? // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 2:21am

Post #30 of 38 (85 views)
Shortcut
Warm enough for grilling here too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd not grilled outside for a couple of months (I don't like to stand out in the cold...) but the temperature reached a very unseasonable 58F and I decided to grill steak tips. I made oven-fried "french fries" and nuked some mixed veggies to serve with it.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 3:27am

Post #31 of 38 (73 views)
Shortcut
We had to call an audible at the line... [In reply to] Can't Post

We ran out of mushrooms (oh, the travesty!), so mrs.sil pulled in off the bench, apples and turkey bacon to complete the play with the chicken breast slices, rosemary, and turmeric.

It ran for a touchdown. That was really good.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 3:30am

Post #32 of 38 (100 views)
Shortcut
Nope, no leftovers:-D\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 5:09am

Post #33 of 38 (81 views)
Shortcut
Just made split pea soup today [In reply to] Can't Post

Simmered ham hocks for a few hours; strained the broth; reserved the meat; sauteed carrots & onions; added leafy celery, thyme, pepper, salt (the ham hocks were curiously un-salty), bay leaves, rinsed split peas and broth; simmered for another hour or so; added the reserved ham back in; and then it was done and tasty! Very handy on a cold, cold day. Smile

Oh, we also have leftover homemade chili, spaghetti, and Papa Murphy's pizza (it was a difficult day) in the fridge. And I just pulled a heap of Girl Scout cookies and homemade lemon bread out of the freezer - we're getting a new one tomorrow. I should probably get the banana bread and a loaf of the gingerbread out, too...

We like to bake. A lot. Especially my mom and my Hobbit; it's very sweet, watching my son and my mother in the kitchen. And then he pushes every last one of her buttons. sigh.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 7:03am

Post #34 of 38 (70 views)
Shortcut
I always say [In reply to] Can't Post

If you've got a tin of tuna in the cupboard, you've got a meal. Cool

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 4:00pm

Post #35 of 38 (65 views)
Shortcut
Chicken tikka masala [In reply to] Can't Post

I cheat and make the sauce by dumping a load of cardamom (both ground & seeds) into a container of Tuscan Tomato Bisque from Safeway (Von's, to some of you), and adding a bit of cream at the end. Better than any tikka masala sauce I've found to buy, and easier than making it from scratch.

I was reading one of my mother's Cooks magazines and they had an article about how to bake chicken so it doesn't come out rubbery. Their advice is to buy whole breasts with the bones still in and the skin on, rub them with salt, stick a pat of butter under the skin, and cook them in a 450 oven on a roasting rack in a pan so that the heat gets under them, for 40 minutes. I tried it and it was the best chicken I've ever cooked, juicy and tender. No more expensive boneless, skinless chicken for me!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 6:45pm

Post #36 of 38 (63 views)
Shortcut
Used to buy jarred [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to buy jarred Tikka Masala sauce (my local supermarkets have it, as does Trader Joe's). But last week, I started to sautee up the diced chicken, went to the cabinet to start simmering the sauce and realized...I was out! And I had nothing else I could quickly make. So I went to this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/curry-stand-chicken-tikka-masala-sauce/

and ignored all of its time instructions. Just heated the spices with onion in the ghee (those that I had, I did not have them all on hand, about 2/3 I would say), added tomato sauce, added chicken when it was mostly cooked, added cream in the end, and took about 20 minutes to get onto the table. I thought it was pretty good; my son was definite that it was far better than the jarred stuff.

One of my projects for this weekend will be to take all the spices called for in the recipe above and combine them in the correct proportions in a jar so I would not need to measure them out separately next time I make this. Sly

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 1 2013, 5:44pm

Post #37 of 38 (57 views)
Shortcut
*slaps hands over ears* Not listening! Not listening! [In reply to] Can't Post

*whimper* I've been on a diet for about.. *check watch* ... 2 years!!! So I haven't had anything I really love to cook for a long time.

Right now, I'm hungry from my home-made beef stew with dumplings. Or breaded pork steaks with seasoned rice. Or bbq spare ribs and fries. Or pan-fried brook trout with chunks of pan-fried potatoes & carrots.

*swoon*

I better stop before I hurt myself. Now I know why models are so mean. They're ALWAYS HUNGRY!!

:D

sampleWishes you a Happy Groundhog Day!

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 1 2013, 7:15pm

Post #38 of 38 (244 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with your dieting, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever type of diet you've embarked on, though, there have to be recipes that exist that comply with it, whether its salads and low-fat dishes with veggies, more whole grains, lower carbs, or what have you. I'm personally currently on a diet that's low in carbs and it's been an education, and sort of fun, to learn new recipes. I had lots of pasta recipes and loved to bake pizza, now I've learned lots of veggie side-dishes I never knew how to make, and varied ways to prepare meat and seafood. And invented things that help when I am craving specific things I used to like but am trying to avoid...

Tonight's dinner will be tilapia. I sprinkle it in lemon-pepper seasoning and pan-fry it in coconut oil until it is a little golden-brown around the edges. I'll make a salad for me and rice and peas for the kiddos (who have no need to lose weight).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.