Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the end-of-January reading thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 1 2013, 3:39am

Post #51 of 72 (207 views)
Shortcut
Getting outside my comfort zone with science fiction [In reply to] Can't Post

So I am reading the first book in Asimov's "Foundations" trilogy. I've never read his work, and have read precious few sci-fi books (Neuromancer, The Sparrow), so I figured it was time. I work in a library, and I try to get people to read new genres, and need to practice what I preach. So far I'm enjoying it, but I've been told the next two are rough going.

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 1 2013, 5:40am

Post #52 of 72 (187 views)
Shortcut
Fear not [In reply to] Can't Post

I consider that trilogy to be one long work. It felt consistent in plot, style, character development.

What I didn't savor were the books to follow: Foundation's Edge and I forget (happily) the next. They were written quite a bit after the trilogy and didn't have the same flavor. To me they weren't as good.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 3:08pm

Post #53 of 72 (161 views)
Shortcut
Mountain-climbing [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I can certainly understand the lure of mountain-climbing before I can understand the lure of cave-exploring, but then, I'm fairly claustrophobic but love high, windy places. Although I've never climbed a mountain, just enjoyed strolls on nature trails in mountainous areas. So it would be interesting to get the opinion of a pro who's actually been in danger, yes.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 3:09pm

Post #54 of 72 (163 views)
Shortcut
You're in good company [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot of Martin fans here. I suppose there's a natural Tolkien/Martin crossover, especially since Martin himself is an avid Tolkien fan.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 3:12pm

Post #55 of 72 (164 views)
Shortcut
Ah, science fiction [In reply to] Can't Post

You're starting with the classics, I see. If you'd like to try some sf that's not so intimidating, read Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series, starting with either Shards of Honor or The Warrior's Apprentice. Great stories, great characters, no heavy going at all.

Good for you, practicing what you preach!

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 1 2013, 3:43pm

Post #56 of 72 (165 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the rec! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have it at my library, so I'll pick it up today. I'll let you know how it goes.

In Reply To
You're starting with the classics, I see. If you'd like to try some sf that's not so intimidating, read Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series, starting with either Shards of Honor or The Warrior's Apprentice. Great stories, great characters, no heavy going at all.

Good for you, practicing what you preach!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 4:43pm

Post #57 of 72 (164 views)
Shortcut
You're very welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

Lois happens to be a good friend of mine. However, she's very popular and has won piles of awards, so you don't have to take my word for the quality of her books Smile

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 1 2013, 7:07pm

Post #58 of 72 (148 views)
Shortcut
I'll second that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never met Ms. Bujold, but she is hands-down my favorite author of SF. So much fun, such interesting characters, and yet some good ideas there too about science and society. So I would heartily second that recommendation.

Not that "Foundation" is bad, I read it as a teen and liked it.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 8:06pm

Post #59 of 72 (145 views)
Shortcut
You have excellent taste, I see! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Feb 2 2013, 12:07am

Post #60 of 72 (155 views)
Shortcut
I found this [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if this will help you. I, too, looked at amazon.ca for this book, and while the actual title is out of stock, I saw this listed in the one of the descriptions: "Catriona (also known as David Balfour), a novel written in 1893 by Robert Louis Stevenson as a sequel to his earlier novel Kidnapped. It tells the further story of the central character David Balfour."

I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but if it is there's a book that is a compilation of several of R. L. Stevenson's novels, including 'David Balfour'. You can find it here. Other (full text) titles included in the book are Treasure Island, Prince Otto, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Kidnapped, The Black Arrow and The Master of Ballantrae.

The book's price isn't quite enough to qualify for free shipping, but maybe there's another novel you could add to the order, to bring it up to the qualifying price. Hope it's the book you were looking for. Smile Btw, there are only 3 left in stock.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2013, 2:49am

Post #61 of 72 (147 views)
Shortcut
I'm always trying to get people to try Bujold!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 2 2013, 8:01pm

Post #62 of 72 (135 views)
Shortcut
Another recommendation: Ender's Game [In reply to] Can't Post

by Orson Scott Card. There's a film coming out later this year but given the age of Ender has been changed (which is a key part of the book), I don't have high hopes for it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 2 2013, 8:24pm

Post #63 of 72 (130 views)
Shortcut
I actually tried to get that first before Foundation [In reply to] Can't Post

But all our copies were out and there was a request list. I suspect for the reason that there is a movie coming, but also because we don't have a lot of copies (this happened when True Grit came out--our system had one copy of the book, and it had a list of several hundred people waiting for it). I do want to read it before the movie is released, though.

They do change character ages a lot--they did that with Percy Jackson, and it changed the whole point of his character.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 2 2013, 11:55pm

Post #64 of 72 (134 views)
Shortcut
it must have been one of a Magpie with a person? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can assure you, I don't look anything like tv-Arya. Not even when I was Arya's age. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 12:04am

Post #65 of 72 (138 views)
Shortcut
I found Foundation a bit dense [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'm drawn to fantasy much more the science fiction but even among the science fiction I've read and enjoyed, I wouldn't put Foundation that high. I think it appeals to a certain personality or mind but not to mine.

Three I liked:

Dune, Childhood's End, Left Hand of Darkness,

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 1:26am

Post #66 of 72 (131 views)
Shortcut
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished reading this collection (Adventures; Memoirs; Return; Hound of the Baskervilles) after about 10 years of letting it sit on the shelf. Some of the stories are so familiar, but I still enjoy how Holmes solved cases without all the high-tech we have now.

I'm also getting ready to re-read Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles. I love this series, very "dense" and wonderfully well written. I assume I'll cry at the end (again) Blush

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 4:21am

Post #67 of 72 (239 views)
Shortcut
As a matter of fact - [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this very "Seven Novel" compilation at my local chapters a couple days ago. I'd buy it, but I'm not a huge fan of its binding and paper, and I've also already got four of the seven books on my shelf. It's just not a worthy investment for me at the moment, but it's nice to know that there is a copy of it nearby. On the other hand, though, I'm pretty positive that one of my local libraries has it (from some quick online searches), so if I should ever have a craving, I know where to snoop.

Thanks for the heads up though! Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 3 2013, 8:44pm

Post #68 of 72 (116 views)
Shortcut
Finished 'The Annotated Hobbit' the other day... [In reply to] Can't Post

New insights into Tolkien's creation process. Appendix A is comprised of the most complete version of "The Quest of Erebor" that I have seen.

I've begun Chicago Lightning by Max Allen Collins, a short-story collection of Nate Heller detective mysteries. The new Heller novel, Target Lancer (the middle book in the Kennedy Trilogy) is waiting in the wings.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

batik
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 10:25pm

Post #69 of 72 (116 views)
Shortcut
Glad you liked the GoT book :) [In reply to] Can't Post

...on to Book 2?
I got thru Books 1-5 between May and September (I think!) and what a ride that was!

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 10:36pm

Post #70 of 72 (111 views)
Shortcut
I feel some 'obligation' to read one of the dozen books I've received as gifts in the last few months [In reply to] Can't Post

My menfolk are so predictable. We talked idly of what we might want for Christmas. I said there wasn't much I wanted except maybe the next couple of books in the Dresden Files series (I've read the first two).

None of them asked me again about what I wanted. I just knew what would happen and it did. They all got me Dresden Files books. Some of them the same books. My husband had purchased in town, though, so he took his books back and exchanged them for different Dresden Files books. I think I got 7 in all.

I also received four other books from different people!

But I don't mind putting GoT on hold. I liked watching the shows first and it will be awhile before I can see season 2 (Netflix is getting it this week but I think it took me almost 6-8 months for the discs to make their way to my house. They get put on Very Long Wait almost immediately)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 3:50pm

Post #71 of 72 (104 views)
Shortcut
I like Ender's Game much better than Foundation. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 7:10pm

Post #72 of 72 (300 views)
Shortcut
some other recs [In reply to] Can't Post

Dune by Frank Herbert
Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin
any of the "Hainish" novels by Le Guin (Left Hand of Darkness, the Dispossessed, City of Illusions)
the Uplift War series by David Brin
City of Angels by Greg Bear

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.