Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
every bit as good as 'rings'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 12:23am

Post #51 of 60 (162 views)
Shortcut
Wow is right [In reply to] Can't Post

It amazes me how almost anyone who expresses their problems with the film are seen to be insulting to people who love everything about it.

I like the movie a lot. It's a good film. In my opinion though, it's just not made as well as LOTR. And some of the action and humor certainly comes across as low brow. How you could mistake that for me calling anyone unintelligent is beyond me.

I apologize for not so readily bowing to everything Tolkien and Peter Jackson. I can like the film, and still point out all the problems I have with it.

It's also funny, that on numerous other movie forums I visit, the opinions of the film vary widely. Yet here, the majority of people seem to just be happy to get a film version of The Hobbit. And that's fine. But, I'm a movie buff, and I was expecting something a little better.

No opinion is wrong, but I just see so many BLATANT problems with the film. It just seems to me that many fans here refuse to accept the fact that this film isn't as good as any of the LOTR's films. Purely from a filmmaking standpoint, I just feel it pales in comparison. Once again, this is just my opinion for the sake of discussion.

I need to start putting warnings in my subject line whenever I'm about to critisize the film. Hopefully I won't be attacked so much,

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

imin
Valinor

Jan 30 2013, 12:54am

Post #52 of 60 (149 views)
Shortcut
How many Snow White movies have there been since 2003/4? // [In reply to] Can't Post

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 1:19am

Post #53 of 60 (142 views)
Shortcut
Too many :) [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jan 30 2013, 1:53am

Post #54 of 60 (130 views)
Shortcut
haha very true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know of two and i saw one of them last year - the one with twilight girl - was mostly bad, made worse by the fact that snow white wasnt as beautiful as the queen, lol.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 2:08am

Post #55 of 60 (138 views)
Shortcut
I get to watch the Disney version... [In reply to] Can't Post

at least several times a week, as part of the joy of having a four year old little girl :) I've never liked the story, so I just avoided the other ones.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 30 2013, 2:11am

Post #56 of 60 (129 views)
Shortcut
I find the Disney version hilarious. "She's an old witch!. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

she can turn herself invisible. . . she could be in this room with us, right now!" Lmao. I am really fond of it. And Snow White a Tale of Terror is interesting. And I found Snow White and the Huntsman to be more enjoyable and expansive than I had anticipated. I always rather liked the old story, anyway though. More or less, depending on the version.

In Reply To
at least several times a week, as part of the joy of having a four year old little girl :) I've never liked the story, so I just avoided the other ones.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 4:50am

Post #57 of 60 (117 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It amazes me how almost anyone who expresses their problems with the film are seen to be insulting to people who love everything about it.

I like the movie a lot. It's a good film. In my opinion though, it's just not made as well as LOTR. And some of the action and humor certainly comes across as low brow. How you could mistake that for me calling anyone unintelligent is beyond me.

I apologize for not so readily bowing to everything Tolkien and Peter Jackson. I can like the film, and still point out all the problems I have with it.

It's also funny, that on numerous other movie forums I visit, the opinions of the film vary widely. Yet here, the majority of people seem to just be happy to get a film version of The Hobbit. And that's fine. But, I'm a movie buff, and I was expecting something a little better.

No opinion is wrong, but I just see so many BLATANT problems with the film. It just seems to me that many fans here refuse to accept the fact that this film isn't as good as any of the LOTR's films. Purely from a filmmaking standpoint, I just feel it pales in comparison. Once again, this is just my opinion for the sake of discussion.

I need to start putting warnings in my subject line whenever I'm about to critisize the film. Hopefully I won't be attacked so much,

I suppose sometimes it's not so much what you say as the manner in which it is stated, and therefore the way in which it is received. I think one of the problems with this sort of virtual communication is that it often misses the most important aspects of a conversation, namely the tone, which usually is interpreted as intent. And yes, I suppose I did take your verbage of the term 'low brow' too personally but that is what the term means. Be that as it may, I'm glad you liked the film. I certainly did, but that doesn't mean I liked every single aspect of it. There were a lot of things I didn't particularly care for, but nevertheless I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed FOTR.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 5:04am

Post #58 of 60 (122 views)
Shortcut
"All good tales deserve embellishment" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am beginning to believe that the tale of Bilbo is heavily embellished with fantastical falls on broken bridges, and people dangling from trees.

Well, I think I quoted that right. I hope. Anyway, an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered: that this is a tale of Bilbo whereas the LOTR was a tale of Frodo. And just judging from the characters as portrayed in the films, they are two very different hobbits. I really like this Bilbo. Better, I think, than I ever liked Frodo.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 5:21am

Post #59 of 60 (129 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo was awesome... [In reply to] Can't Post

In contrast to my earlier posts, I can point out a lot that I loved about the film.

The prologue, and everything in Bag End was awesome. Bilbo running out his door, and seeing the beautiful views of Hobbiton. Howard Shores work was perfectly executed for that moment. Riddles in the Dark was pretty much perfectly adapted. It is during that scene where I truly feel I am transported back to 2003. Amazing. The Eagle rescue is pretty great as well. The scenes with them flying over the landscape, accompanied by that beautiful music was awesome.

It's the parts in between those things that disappointed me. It's still pretty good though. I would not have watched it so much unless I really like it.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

elostirion74
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 8:50pm

Post #60 of 60 (152 views)
Shortcut
a bit exaggerated, no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for replying in detail, and itīs not that AUJ is without its flaws.

There are some marked differences between AUJ and for instance FoTR, and I can understand that these differences might come off as grating or unappealing if you wanted a closer resemblance to the look of the trilogy.

I think itīs quite obvious that FoTR has its fair share of technical hoo-ha, though. What about the rather forced camera diving from the top of Orthanc, or following Legolasīarrow killing an orc in Moria just to name a couple of things. It doesnīt descend to the level of Goblin Town, but besides the script and the score I donīt find the general level of film making more impressive in FoTR than in AUJ.

I might have seen a different version of AUJ than you - I think Iīve only seen the ordinary 3D, not the HFR-version, and after that the 2D-version. I found the bright colours mostly rich and vibrant and more appropriate for a story which actually starts in May and features a greater sense of adventure and anticipation on the part of the protagonist, while Frodoīs journey from the start is fraught with fear and a sense of being forced by circumstances.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.