Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box office update
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 4:59pm

Post #26 of 40 (349 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to tORN, Elk2013! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Hope you enjoy the movie!

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 10:03pm

Post #27 of 40 (311 views)
Shortcut
Not good enough [In reply to] Can't Post

You all need to see it at least five more times, 3-D IMAX 48fps or the most expensive ticket you can get. Stop posting, and go...NOW!

R11
Lorien

Jan 29 2013, 12:43am

Post #28 of 40 (314 views)
Shortcut
From a more representative standpoint of viewers [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ is still way behind FOTR in ticket sales (US domestic anyway... couldn't find any world wide ticket figures).

- ROTK: $61.6 million
- TTT: $57.7 million
- FOTR: $54.8 million

- AUJ: $37.7 million

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/...m?adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

AUJ would need to do about 45% more than it already has to equal the number of viewers Fellowship had in the US.

ron

(This post was edited by R11 on Jan 29 2013, 12:50am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 29 2013, 2:15am

Post #29 of 40 (293 views)
Shortcut
In excellent news, this weekends American box office was underestimated by 100, 000 [In reply to] Can't Post

dollars. The Hobbit made over A million dollars on Sunday alone, not the 920 thousand previously reported for that date. Smile Every hundred K helps. lol.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 2:52am

Post #30 of 40 (246 views)
Shortcut
Less than that [In reply to] Can't Post

Box Office Mojo takes yearly average ticket prices to calculate number of admissions but 3D skews the picture. 3D movies have a higher average ticket price than the yearly average ticket price. I'd say Hobbit sold about 33 million tickets.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 5:00am

Post #31 of 40 (226 views)
Shortcut
To be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

The increase in ticket prices, along with advances in home-theater technology, has caused a drop overall in movie attendance. If you look at that list, there are only two movies in the past 5 years in the top 50, and the highest grossing one (The Avengers) is only up to 27. There are only 5 out of the top 50 from this century. People just don't go to the movies as much anymore- that's why movies are released on DVD so quickly now. The Hobbit did extremely well, almost as well as Skyfall. As long as it is doing well (and in the black), that's all the studio really cares about, especially with so much invested upfront.

imin
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 4:39pm

Post #32 of 40 (143 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the country [In reply to] Can't Post

Some countries have been experiencing increases in ticket sales, such as China. The UK has also been experiencing growth and in 2011 was at a 6 year high.

The biggest market is still the US and it is correct that ticket sales have been falling there.

The fact the hobbit has 3D should mean it does better than Skyfall as its tickets are more expensive - also M-e is surely more popular that Bond, though for some reason this film has just made tonnes of money.

This is not about having a go at the hobbit, it has turned out to do as expected which is good after a relatively slow start (compared to what it was projected to make in the first couple of weeks).

I think people make way too much out of declining tickets sales - i thought ticket sales were falling through the floor after it being discussed on here so much, in reality this is not the case and it is actually picking up in some countries, this is with the increased ticket prices.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 4:53pm

Post #33 of 40 (136 views)
Shortcut
In countries like China... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's new for them to get western movies in theaters, so I would expect some movies to do better. My sister works as a GM at a Carmike, and it seems that even blockbuster films these days just don't do as well as they used to in movie theaters in this country. I'm not saying that The Hobbit is the best movie of the year (it's not, by a long shot)- just that the ticket sales are pretty good for the time of year (Christmas movies never do as well as summer movies- I'll be really interested to see how TaBA fares with a summer release), and in relation to the other big movies released in the past few years. I'll be interested to see how the China release fares...I'm sure, at this point, everything is pretty much in the profit stage for WB, which is really all they care about. Awards are nice, but money is better in Hollywood.

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 4:56pm

Post #34 of 40 (129 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it makes too much sense to compare it to decade-old movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of things have changed in the last 10 years and they're pretty difficult to adjust for. Changes in ticket prices. Changes in movie attendance. Different formats like IMAX and 3D.

Doesn't it make more sense to compare it to this year's movies, since they're all competing in the same environment? Obviously, non-3D movies will get a little bit more NET because they aren't as expensive to produce. But it seems much more apples-to-apples.

The Hobbit is the fourth highest grossing movie of 2012 worldwide. It'll end up a little bit behind Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall, and quite a bit behind The Avengers.

http://boxofficemojo.com/...p;yr=2012&p=.htm

By comparison, Fellowship of the Ring same in second in 2001, beaten only by Harry Potter 1, while The Two Towers and Return of the King both lead the worldwide box office in 2002 and 2003 respectively, beating out huge movies like Spider-Man, Finding Nemo, and new installments of Star Wars and Happy Potter.

The Hobbit, by comparison, doesn't seem to be in the same league relative to its pears as TTT or ROTK. The closest movie to those this year would have to be The Avengers, which is probably dominating a a fair amount more than even RotK did. AUJ's performance seems a bit more similar to how FOTR did in comparison to its peers, but maybe just a tick or two behind.

In my own opinion, I don't think it's fair to say that AUJ failed to meet expecations nor is it fair to say that it vastly exceeded them.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

imin
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 5:09pm

Post #35 of 40 (125 views)
Shortcut
It makes sense to compare it to [In reply to] Can't Post

3D movies with IMAX from this year yes. Other than that we are always going to have to adjust tickets for things.

Such as i can go see Skyfall for 5.70 - if i wanted to see the hobbit in IMAX 3D its 13.40, so about 2.5 x as expensive for just the same thing - 1 ticket.

This is not a fair comparison, just as it is not fair to compare a film from 2002 which had cheaper tickets and no 3D to one now which is in 3d, IMAX and just a general inflated ticket prices.

If one can adjust for those things then it is fair to compare.

It is one reason why i think they should say how many tickets have been sold as that would show, more went to see FOTR for example than AUJ, even though AUJ has made more money.

It is also the reason why i am more impressed by Skyfall than i am the hobbit when it comes to the BO.

Finally i didnt say it has failed to meet expectations - it did for the first two weeks, but now it is around where it was projected to end up - essentially for this film it had a slower than predicted start but maintained itself well.

It has certainly not exceeded expectations, it has just done about where they were wanting it to get to - almost every BO projection had it at making $1 billion, the fact its finally there means almost all will be happy.

imin
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 5:12pm

Post #36 of 40 (129 views)
Shortcut
It is kinda strange why they put them over xmas [In reply to] Can't Post

if they know they dont make as much money - surely you would put the film you invested the most in at the best time?

I think TABA will make loads of money - its the final film and potentially the final M-E film in a good number of peoples lives so lots of peeps will want to go see it.

I am interested to see how it does in China, i have no idea how many fans of the hobbit there are there but i cant imagine it being massive, would be good if it was though.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 5:16pm

Post #37 of 40 (122 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure they put it out at xmas... [In reply to] Can't Post

...partly because of timing (they only finished it right before they premiered it), but also because you still want something to show during the Christmas break that will make a lot of money. I have a feeling that TaBA will surpass AUJ, too. It will definitely be the most climatic of the three films, that's for sure.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 5:19pm

Post #38 of 40 (130 views)
Shortcut
Well, i would disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it has turned out to do as expected

Before the movie came out, how many would have said it'll struggle to hit $300m in NA and $1b WW? I bet not many.

imin
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 5:21pm

Post #39 of 40 (128 views)
Shortcut
literally no one did. [In reply to] Can't Post

But we are not allowed to talk about that, lol.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 5:24pm

Post #40 of 40 (182 views)
Shortcut
True :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.