Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rivendell Cavalry

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 27 2013, 7:29pm

Post #1 of 10 (893 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell Cavalry Can't Post

Those guys were pretty cool.

So far in the LOTR we had seen elves fighting only as infantry. Legolas on horse during warg's attack was not representative.

Is that a hint that maybe BOFA will feature a company of woodelves cavalry to match the warg riders ?

Also from what I remember of the Silmarillion the elves never had massive amount of cavalry, can you confirm ?

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jan 27 2013, 8:35pm

Post #2 of 10 (444 views)
Shortcut
I imagine... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Dwarves on Boars will match the Orcs on Wargs.

The Elves showed up for battle with Smaug in the prologue on foot (except Thranduil on his stag). So I imagine that is how they will fight in the BOFA.

Will have to wait and see though!

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 27 2013, 9:50pm

Post #3 of 10 (410 views)
Shortcut
Elven Equestrian Tradition [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the Feanorians had cavalry and many of the Noldor princes. Fingolfin rides to meet Morgoth on a steed and Maedhros' gap was patrolled by horsemen.

Also weren't the Gondolin forces composed of a cavalry? The manner in which Ecthelion and Glorfindel led the army of Turgon in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears seemed dramatic and quick as if most were on horseback.

Definitely the Elves of Eregion and later Rivendell used horses for scouting and hunting orcs. Regarding organized cavalry units in war I will need to research this a bit. I will say that the Elven cavalry in the Hobbit was one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I imagine Glorfindel and the twins, Elladan and Elrohir were among the horse lords from Rivendell.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 27 2013, 10:41pm

Post #4 of 10 (400 views)
Shortcut
The Rivendell Knights were a nice surprise [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought they were really cool, and I like how they wore similar armour to Elrond and Gill-Gallad's Last Alliance elves.

Mirkwood Great Irish Elk Calvary anyone? Tongue

Yes, my username is terrible.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 3:19pm

Post #5 of 10 (232 views)
Shortcut
Please [In reply to] Can't Post

No elk cavalry. Horses are perfectly adequate.

As for elven cavalry, there almost certainly existed units of it. However as most of the First Age was a siege, they would have been doing more scouting and countering raids. The Second Age you could imagine a lot of raids and perhaps a few set piece battles where cavalry would have been used. It's a big advantage when you have it, and your opponents do not. Thranduil's people probably wouldn't have large numbers of mounted folk, owing to their home. The Noldor would probably have used it at one of the many battles before they lay siege to Mordor's various locations. Of course there were also men with cavalry, too.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 9:01pm

Post #6 of 10 (189 views)
Shortcut
horse cultures [In reply to] Can't Post

When the Native tribes of North America got the Horse (somewhere after 1492), their entire culture changed; they could go farther, carry more, make bigger lodges (which could be carried by horse, not dog). The introduction of horses made radical changes in the lives of the Plains people (Lakota etc)... but in the woodlands, not so much.

I've ridden a lot on woodland trails, and trust me, a very short horse is preferable (OW!...crap! ...*swat* *smack* "lousy low-hanging trees!")... something about 13 hands (1 hand= 4") is good... I don't see woodelves on this.

Megaloceros (Irish elk) were found across Eurasia from the early Pliocene through the early Pleistocene. Their habitat was plains and open woodlands. OPEN woodlands, not dark mirky places. Not such a good mount in tangled trees. Note Thranduil is on his (really it's a relative of the fallow deer) "elk" in a very open plain setting.

Go outside and play...

Elk2013
The Shire

Jan 29 2013, 3:35am

Post #7 of 10 (161 views)
Shortcut
cavalry of wood elves [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt there'll be a cavalry of wood elves in BOFA. if I remember correctly the elves went to Laketown by boat & on foot, and the marshes between the forest and Long Lake would be difficult for horse riding even for elves.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 30 2013, 8:22pm

Post #8 of 10 (122 views)
Shortcut
Offtopic... [In reply to] Can't Post

but do you know if the Native Americans ever tried to domesticate for example bison or moose for purposes they later used horses for...?

Oh, and btw, Megaloceros didn't get extinct in the (early) Pleistocene, it survived into the early Holocene (which, for those who don't know it, is the period we live in today).

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2013, 9:42pm

Post #9 of 10 (115 views)
Shortcut
domesticated moose [In reply to] Can't Post

...not likely.

If you go to Alaska (or parts of Canada) the most dangerous thing you will meet is not the big Brown Bear... it is the Moose.

I have read several true accounts of mushers on training runs, or on the Iditarod, who encountered moose, which stomped through their entire teams, injuring and in some cases killing dogs (and nearly humans). This is why you go armed to the teeth into the wilderness.

Bison are kept on many game farms now, and I've seen video of ones trained to ride (Native tribes never did that). I knew an Appaloosa gelding who had lived on a farm in the State College PA area... he shared a pasture with a couple of bison. You did not walk into that pasture to get the horse, the bison were too dangerous.

Cool, I thought I remembered that the Irish elk went extinct only recently.

Go outside and play...

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 7:11am

Post #10 of 10 (157 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

both moose and bison can be tamed. They are not always as dangerous as some (me thinks a bit exaggerated) hunter accounts will tell you. Some people did manage to ride moose and bison, although it clearly is less common than to use horses or cows. And of course, there must be a reason for that.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.