Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Which character changed your mind about casting?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2013, 3:27am

Post #26 of 41 (403 views)
Shortcut
Liked what I knew of the casting [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew little of the casting, but what I did know, struck me as appropriate - all the returning LotR characters played by the same actors, RA as Thorin (I felt sure RA could do it, less sure there would be much of interest *to* do), and Freeman as Bilbo. I was not familiar with Freeman, but he had a good look for Bilbo in the publicity materials I saw online (and now that I have seen him, wow, what a great choice!).

Plurmo
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 6:40am

Post #27 of 41 (359 views)
Shortcut
Except Azog, it seems.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 3:28pm

Post #28 of 41 (317 views)
Shortcut
Since 90% [In reply to] Can't Post

Of them were unknown to me, I had no pre-dispositions towards any of them. They do their jobs well. Now, I haven't seen Evangeline Lilly as an elf yet, and I know she can look the part. It depends on whether they give her much to do, and how cliche/D&D the female archer bowman is. The fact that she was TV actress and hasn't done much else weighs against her in my book, but of course, I'm sure she will be good.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 5:46pm

Post #29 of 41 (301 views)
Shortcut
I've loved PJ's choices in casting in general [In reply to] Can't Post

He tends to cast actors less well-known in the Hollywood scene, which is just peachy with me, and usually chooses actors who can really...well...act. Aside from Martin Freeman, who I already thought was the perfect choice, having seen him as Dr. Watson in BBC's Sherlock series (and I was positively ecstatic when I heard Benedict Cumberbatch would be Smaug and the Necromancer), I wasn't familiar with any of the actors who played the dwarves, although I met several of them (Brophy, Hambleton and Kircher) briefly in New Zealand. (BTW they were all very wonderful and friendly to the fans.)

Wait. I take that back. I knew of Aiden Turner, since I loved the BBC series Being Human wherein he plays the vampire Mitchell. In fact, seeing the photos of the dwarves before the movie came out, I was a bit apprehensive about how he looked....so very Aiden (young and handsome) and he didn't seem very dwarvish to me. Then I realized that I had all these stereotypical images in my mind of how a dwarf should look. You know the program: short, fat, lots of hair, long beard, jolly etc. I am SO glad PJ didn't cast this nor keep this stereotypical look to the dwarves! It would have been a Disneyesque film. Instead, we get a wide range of different dwarf types (and why shouldn't there be handsome dwarves?), with an equally wide range of characteristics and personalities. Hey. Just like real people. Imagine that!

So In general (and in answer to your question), I think they all turned out so much better than I expected, especially Kili and Thorin as characters (although I already thought both actors were more than up to the job, given their past works).

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

The Red Avenger
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 6:47pm

Post #30 of 41 (282 views)
Shortcut
Jimmy Nesbitt - Bofur [In reply to] Can't Post

The one that surprised and delighted me the most was Jimmy Nesbitt as Bofur. I just didn't see him as a dwarf. But I warmed to him and by the one on one with Bilbo where Bilbo inadvertently insults him by saing "you have no home" his acting shone through. His playfulness was also a delight - the joke with the tiny sausage on Bombur and the way he rolls around laughing afterwards was great (they obvously channeled Mr Creosote from Monty Python here "a wafer theen meent"). Yep, definitely the one I would say surprised me the most after the strangeness of the casting.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 6:53pm

Post #31 of 41 (273 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

He tends to cast actors less well-known in the Hollywood scene

Which is a real advantage in many ways. We get to see new people; we don't have the jarring effect of seeing Tom Cruise (extreme example, I know) as a dwarf and try to forget he's Tom Cruise; he can employ more local actors which is good for NZ, Perhaps most importantly, he can make up a schedule of shooting that's easier than working around the crazy schedules of the better known actors.

R11
Lorien

Jan 29 2013, 12:14am

Post #32 of 41 (242 views)
Shortcut
Silenced all the doubters? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing like a bit of blatant homerism huh? That is a huge overstatement and no where near correct. He looks nothing like a dwarf and is therefore completely unbelievable from a physical standpoint. I kept seeing Mel Gibson playing his pretty boy William Wallace evey time "Thorin" (dis)graced the screen. That William Wallace character was also a prime bit of excessive Hollywood sheen, but at least he wasn't supposed to be an old dwarf.

ron

hutch
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 3:08am

Post #33 of 41 (202 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking forward to Saoirse Ronan in TH as an elf (if they had to invent a female character.)

I don't watch television and I'm American, so I wasn't familiar with many of these actors (including Freeman), so I had no real expectations-except for:

The hot dwarves. Wasn't feelin' it then...still not feelin' it. Fili looks good though. But not enough prosthetics on Thorin or Kili. It's distracting.

Sir Ian kills it as always.

People that still have to win me over:
Thorin, Kili, Benedict (was hoping for Geroge Takei as Smaug), Tauriel, and pretty much any human character-esp. well known actors. They're gonna have to work in order for me to forget that "Oh, there's Stephen Colbert and Billy Connelly."

Overall, I like these films introducing me to new actors whose names don't overrule the characters they play.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 3:12am

Post #34 of 41 (213 views)
Shortcut
Gyahhhh! [In reply to] Can't Post

oh man. did you have to bring that up? But unfortunately I agree. Thorin is gettin' his braveheart on. Ah well...

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 3:17am

Post #35 of 41 (203 views)
Shortcut
Didn't doubt him [In reply to] Can't Post

even though I wasn't familiar with his work. But he's Irish. And that's an automatic awesome.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 3:21am

Post #36 of 41 (205 views)
Shortcut
Extreme example? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nah. PRIME example. Actors of that "esteem" would railroad these films into disaster. So many egos and demands. I shudder to even imagine it.

It's great to give roles in well known stories to lesser known actors. The story itself is so iconic that it doesn't need megastars to sell it. It's one of the few times the audience will show up because of the fame attached to the story-not the actors.

(This post was edited by hutch on Jan 29 2013, 3:21am)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 4:49am

Post #37 of 41 (211 views)
Shortcut
casting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea who any of these actors were, except that I had seen a couple of episodes of Sherlock (and loved it!).

Over the years since I read LOTR (1978), played D&D, ran around in medieval costume, perpetrated fantasy art, and wrote fantasy tales, I have developed a rather strong idea of what these archetypes look like.

Never have I been so wrong. I truly love all of these characters, and the character design is great... especially how it goes against stereotype. If I was just looking at actors' photos, the last thing I would think to cast Richard Armitage as is... a Dwarf?!?!?!?!?!? Looks like Elrond. Looks like Finrod. Like Beleg. Perhaps Aragorn.

So not a Dwarf.

Well, and there he is... Majestic as Thorin. Perfect. Yep, movie magic and a darn awesome actor.

One thing I must say about Aidan. If he was just a pretty face he'd be annoying. He is wonderfully dorky at times, funny, like a big enthusiastic puppy on his first Iditarod; skilled, but clueless. He's perfect.

Balin and Bofur are, perhaps, my favorite two Dwarves, for totally different reasons.

Go outside and play...

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 5:22am

Post #38 of 41 (204 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really know any of the actors, and I never liked the book Thorin, so I was completely blown away by RA's Thorin. He's got the right intensity and subtlety.

Bofur was surprising too. I thought his little scene with Bilbo in the cave was really well done, and he's got this innocent 'country' air about him (which I think is very hard to pull off given his limited screen time)

Ref
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 11:51pm

Post #39 of 41 (139 views)
Shortcut
RE: Rostron2 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Which is a real advantage in many ways. We get to see new people; we don't have the jarring effect of seeing Tom Cruise (extreme example, I know) as a dwarf and try to forget he's Tom Cruise

In Top Gear mode: Some say that Tom Cruise is already a dwarf. And that he is really 4 ft tall.

Laugh

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 11:54pm

Post #40 of 41 (139 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no, he played Jack Reacher, and he's well over 6 ft. tall. [In reply to] Can't Post

So Tom must be taller....right? Oh, wait, they just ignored that character point and cast a super short actor. Sorry.

In Reply To

In Reply To

Which is a real advantage in many ways. We get to see new people; we don't have the jarring effect of seeing Tom Cruise (extreme example, I know) as a dwarf and try to forget he's Tom Cruise

In Top Gear mode: Some say that Tom Cruise is already a dwarf. And that he is really 4 ft tall.

Laugh

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 1:56am

Post #41 of 41 (204 views)
Shortcut
Oh really... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
even though I wasn't familiar with his work. But he's Irish. And that's an automatic awesome.

An automatic awesome unless the person is named Aidan Turner I guess? ;)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.