Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Clash of the titans this december and next summer?

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Jan 26 2013, 11:16pm

Post #1 of 7 (943 views)
Shortcut
Clash of the titans this december and next summer? Can't Post

So Hobbit got it pretty easy last year regarding competition in cinema (read: none). But I just stumbled across the news of Mad Max: Fury Road aiming for Christmas release. They plan some pickups this spring (just like Hobbit), then CGI and 3D work for the rest of the year and December release. Not only that but apparently George Miller shot two films; other being named Mad Max: Furiosa (Furiosa is name of antagonist played by Charlize Theron) with possible summer 2014 release. That being said, what do you say: eternal story in the most magical world of all vs post-apocalyptic mega sequel of cult classic?

I say both :)

(This post was edited by ElendurTheFaithful on Jan 26 2013, 11:19pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 11:25pm

Post #2 of 7 (479 views)
Shortcut
Not really [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad Max won't set the world on fire. It's no movie one needs to fear. They can coexist.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 11:32pm

Post #3 of 7 (458 views)
Shortcut
Mad Max has a much smaller fan base than LOTR and The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus it doesn't have the wide appeal of hobbits, elves, orcs etc.

I'm sure it will be advertised as a big action movie, but I don't think it's going to hurt TH.

(This post was edited by Carne on Jan 26 2013, 11:33pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 11:39pm

Post #4 of 7 (496 views)
Shortcut
"Clash of the Titans" [In reply to] Can't Post

When I read your title I thought you menat that there were two Clash of the Titans movie sequels being planned for 2013 and 2014. Ha ha, sure glad that this is not so!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 27 2013, 8:25am

Post #5 of 7 (333 views)
Shortcut
I REAAAAALLLY doubt it. No Mel, No Tina, old news to any not in the cult following. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Everybody has heard of Thunderdome, but beyond a vague awareness, those films just aren't hugely relevant to most people under the age of 20 or so. And for most over twenty, it was great stuff from the 80s, but not the kind you can replicate. Mel Gibson isn't even in these (and even if he was, scandals of bigotry and public disruption have taken some of the shine off of his celebrity). It will not feature a Rock Legend like Tina Turner, being awesome and singing a hit tie in song. . . Charlize is great, but she is not a must see. If more goes right than wrong for this reboot, it MAY eek out a hundred million, give or take, and it will NOT take that money from The Hobbit. To do much better than the prior prediction, I think it would (barring being an AWESOME rather than just good movie) have to feature Tom Cruise, Robert Downy Jr., Sam Jackson or Johnny Depp in the old Mel role, and have Megan Fox as a mostly naked heroine or villainous. .. and I don't think any of those options are on the table.

In Reply To
So Hobbit got it pretty easy last year regarding competition in cinema (read: none). But I just stumbled across the news of Mad Max: Fury Road aiming for Christmas release. They plan some pickups this spring (just like Hobbit), then CGI and 3D work for the rest of the year and December release. Not only that but apparently George Miller shot two films; other being named Mad Max: Furiosa (Furiosa is name of antagonist played by Charlize Theron) with possible summer 2014 release. That being said, what do you say: eternal story in the most magical world of all vs post-apocalyptic mega sequel of cult classic?

I say both :)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 9:33am

Post #6 of 7 (331 views)
Shortcut
Not more of a competition... [In reply to] Can't Post

... than Les Mis and Django were 2012.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2013, 11:33am

Post #7 of 7 (357 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call the Mad Max series a "titan" [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even in the 80s. None of the films came close to the top ten in their respective years, and it's not like the public are screaming for Mad Max sequels. I think an actual Clash of the Titans sequel would be more of a threat.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.