Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
SARUMANNNNN

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 7:20pm

Post #1 of 13 (1065 views)
Shortcut
SARUMANNNNN Can't Post

How much more do you think we'll see him?? I know he is in the first two but i'm worried he won't be in action scenes. What kind of scenes do you think he will get and can PJ actually resist having the wizards all fight together? Oh and how much of his villainous side might we see in your opinions?

Arandir
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 7:23pm

Post #2 of 13 (546 views)
Shortcut
Considering [In reply to] Can't Post

the advancements in technology, I don't see why we shouldn't get some Saruman in the action Cool. Using digital doubles and careful use of camera angles, I think it should be pretty do-able.

Considering the "villainous side", I don't think we'll see much of it as it is dealt mainly in LOTR. However, we might get some small hints here and there that he is changing. We've already seen his constant rejections at Gandalf's claims during the White Council - which just keeps on reinforcing the eventual change in nature.

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 7:44pm

Post #3 of 13 (509 views)
Shortcut
I'm assuming he will play a part in action scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

John Bach (Madril in LOTR) is Saruman's body double in the films, so I'm guessing he will stand in during the action scenes for The Battle of Dol Guldur. In terms of his villainous nature, I've already stated in other posts that I felt that he came across as too evil in AUJ (Surely Galadriel's mind-reading would have seen through him), so I'm hoping this will be underplayed in the subsequent films.

However, I think that we may at some point discover that Saruman is actually searching for the Ring (Can't remember off the top of my head whether that's mentioned in the appendices, if it's mentioned elsewhere in Tolkien's guarded works then PJ obviously can't use it). At the least I would hope that it would make a nice EE scene.

Nevertheless, what I really hope to see (although possibly unlikely) is Saruman as the real hero in The Battle of Dol Guldur-We know that Gandalf may be knocked out of the battle and Galadriel carries him away, which would take her out of the action. I can't see Elrond saving the day, so maybe we'll finally be able to establish the fact that Saruman really was a good, noble being and that the positive traits of the good Curumo of Aule are still winning out (for now).

More likely however is that PJ will choose the Galadriel route, and have her cast down the walls of Dol Guldur at the climax of the battle (Which, I have to say, I would quite like to see even though it didn't happen at this point in time). Though it would still be disappointing if the limelight was taken away from old Sharkey. After all, Gandalf specifically states that Saruman's "devices" were instrumental in the Council's plans of confronting the Necromancer.

Sorry for the length of that, thanks to anyone who read all of it!Laugh

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 7:45pm

Post #4 of 13 (452 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

i think well see some double crossing/reluctance to help from saruman, not him using any major power against sauron, makes sense

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 26 2013, 8:04pm

Post #5 of 13 (446 views)
Shortcut
He has a body double? That's interesting news. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
John Bach (Madril in LOTR) is Saruman's body double in the films, so I'm guessing he will stand in during the action scenes for The Battle of Dol Guldur.

Though I thought it was clear that if he will play an action part it would be done with a body double, I hadn't heard any confirmation that he had one for The Hobbit. This is interesting to hear. But I still think that his role in the assault on Dol Guldur will mostly be supportive; I'm thinking something in the vein of summoning a rain to purge evil miasma surrounding the fortress or possessing orcs to attack each other.

In terms of his villainous nature, I've already stated in other posts that I felt that he came across as too evil in AUJ (Surely Galadriel's mind-reading would have seen through him), so I'm hoping this will be underplayed in the subsequent films.

I don't know about that. Saruman was portrayed a lot more mellow and benign than he appears in the White Council meeting described in The Unfinished Tales, where he is pretty much a sneering bastard all the way through. In AUJ he simply appears a bit full of himself and unwilling to admit that his reasoning might be flawed. I think that this is the extent of "evil" that we see with him in The Hobbit-films; he'll be often contrarian, slow to react and doubtful of Gandalf's discoveries, but his exact motivations for this behaviour will be left to the audience's imagination.

deskp
Lorien

Jan 26 2013, 8:12pm

Post #6 of 13 (424 views)
Shortcut
angles [In reply to] Can't Post

Well they surely used a body double in the council scene when they shot him from the back, right?

Having a body double doesen't nessecarily mean a similar thing to "stuntman"

totoro
Lorien

Jan 26 2013, 9:42pm

Post #7 of 13 (357 views)
Shortcut
When I saw the title of this thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I imagined Thorin yelling like Kirk did to KAAAAAHN. I suppose I should have imagined Gandalf doing it.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Jan 26 2013, 10:02pm

Post #8 of 13 (357 views)
Shortcut
about 5 to 10 minutes in the next two films together [In reply to] Can't Post

with doubles and CGI, we might even see him in action.But I don't think so: Saruman is resistent and PJ and co want to show his change to an evil bastard.. So I guess we will see him in another white council Gandallf initiates because of his visit to Dol Guldur. Maybe some other villanious/Sauron-connection-stuff, but don't nail me to it.

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Jan 26 2013, 10:30pm

Post #9 of 13 (341 views)
Shortcut
I would like to see this... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i think well see some double crossing/reluctance to help from saruman, not him using any major power against sauron, makes sense

in the battle of Dol Guldur.

Perhaps Radagast is rematching the Witch-King, and Saruman notices but chooses not to intervene, allowing Radagast to be killed.

This could explain why Gandalf has Radagast's staff in the LotR movies.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 10:38pm

Post #10 of 13 (302 views)
Shortcut
I would love that! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

in the battle of Dol Guldur.

Perhaps Radagast is rematching the Witch-King, and Saruman notices but chooses not to intervene, allowing Radagast to be killed.

This could explain why Gandalf has Radagast's staff in the LotR movies.

Everyone would hate Saruman so bad after this!!! haha it would also work perfectly because we already know Saruman doesn't like him...man that would be emotionally perfect! Laugh

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 11:28pm

Post #11 of 13 (282 views)
Shortcut
I would hate that! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least turn Radagast into a moth...Tongue

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 6:28pm

Post #12 of 13 (175 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee only shot for 2 days [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I hold out hope for as much Saruman as possible. Digital/body doubles and ADR from Christopher Lee were already used in the White Council scene, if you pay close attention...;)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 4:05pm

Post #13 of 13 (145 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, Lurtz did something like that already didn't he?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.