Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Another Trilogy Tuesday...? or Thursday?

Jan 26 2013, 12:02am

Post #1 of 11 (710 views)
Another Trilogy Tuesday...? or Thursday? Can't Post

Any day really we aren't fussy. What are our odds folks? Hobbit Trilogy Thursday to open There and Back Again...
....even .Sextuplet Saturday to show them all?
Oh pleeeease!!!!!!!

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Jan 26 2013, 12:31am

Post #2 of 11 (344 views)
I think there is a chance [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially with a summer opening. Kids are out of school and adults are more likely to take the day off.

Jan 26 2013, 2:54am

Post #3 of 11 (281 views)
All six is too darn long [In reply to] Can't Post

All three LOTR EE's is hard enough to pull off, adding the Hobbit trilogy doubles that and then you also need breaks in between the films for people to get up and walk around so that nobody dies of blood clots. (This is a very real danger, some obsessive gamers have suddenly dropped dead after sitting on their butts for too long)

When you total up 6 EE movies at 3 1/2 hours apiece (except the final one which is a 3 hour theatrical cut) plus at least five 15-min breaks it comes to nearly 22 hours straight in the theater, and then these people all have to drive home sleep deprived, which can be just as bad as drunk when it comes to reaction time.

So to avoid killing off the very fans who can be counted on to return for repeat viewings, I suggest that they have two separate marathons, one for each trilogy.

...a far green country under a swift sunrise. As the ship approached the edge of the world and the undying lands came into view, Frodo could not help but wonder: "How long? How long? How long to the Point of Know Return?

Jan 26 2013, 2:47pm

Post #4 of 11 (212 views)
My sister is a theater GM... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and they did a LotR marathon the day of the midnight release...she said they only got 2 or 3 people in there for them. I think one problem is length (it really is hard to sit through them all in one sitting), and the other is the EE. I know that my sister was given the TE, and not the EE. I, for one, don't like watching the TE anymore, now that I'm so used to the EE. My husband and I rewatched LotR before The Hobbit came out, and it took us a week and a half to get through them (we do have two little ones, though, so it was obviously only after they went to bed). I think they may show the previous Hobbit films together when the last one is released, but I think it highly unlikely that they also show LotR, simply because that would take longer than the theater is open (they open in the afternoon and close at midnight, unless for a midnight showing).

Jan 26 2013, 3:49pm

Post #5 of 11 (191 views)
I went to the recent Trilogy Saturday, just prior to AUJ release [In reply to] Can't Post

There were maybe a dozen of us there. It was all three LOTR movies in EE, which was great to see them on the big screen again. There was a 45 minute break between each, which was vital. I think the small crowd had to do with it not leading up to the premiere of a new movie. When I went to Trilogy Tuesday, back when ROTK premiered, it was amazing, Sold out, lots of energy, real sense of anticipation. I think that would be a great event to have again in 2014.

Jan 26 2013, 4:55pm

Post #6 of 11 (176 views)
About the same turnout here [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole day thing just kills the idea for some people. The same theater had a summer marathon where they ran the films one a week... the theaters were pretty well packed for those.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Jan 26 2013, 5:28pm

Post #7 of 11 (165 views)
I looked at those here last summer [In reply to] Can't Post

But I actually have an easier time clearing out a full day, than trying to go several different nights. Plus, it made it more of an event (by the end of it, I had literally eaten all the major theater food groups, too).

In Reply To
The whole day thing just kills the idea for some people. The same theater had a summer marathon where they ran the films one a week... the theaters were pretty well packed for those.

Jan 26 2013, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 11 (166 views)
True....six a bit much but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Im an RN so I appreciate the blot clot and sleep deprivation issue Wink Could hand out aspirin prophylaxysis and Red bull....so I guess two days makes sense. Sigh.
I went to the original Trilogy Tuesday to open ROTK in US and it was an absolutely amazing experience.Tickets here sold out in person in about two hours. Not an empty seat, and an audience of like minded Tolkienites.The love and energy in that showing was unbelievable. The film cells I got are so great, I look at them all the time.
Would SOOOO love to do it again!
Anyone got a thrush available to carry a message to Wellington....?

True, bborchar, I would want DOS EE to run, not TE.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 26 2013, 5:46pm)

Jan 26 2013, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 11 (182 views)
Summer trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent point Elessar

Jan 26 2013, 5:53pm

Post #10 of 11 (169 views)
Summer time [In reply to] Can't Post

It just makes sense with the third hobbit movie coming out to for the to do a hobbit trilogy then.

As far as the EE marathon the recent one around here in Kansas City did really well. The theater was I'd say 75% full in their second largest theater.

I would always have separate days for any The Lord of the Rings Marathons and The Hobbit Marathons

(This post was edited by Elessar on Jan 26 2013, 5:55pm)

Jan 29 2013, 6:57pm

Post #11 of 11 (214 views)
Two days [In reply to] Can't Post

Two day split. Here's hoping.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.