Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Help needed!? What to book!?

josophette

Jan 24 2013, 8:13pm

Post #1 of 16 (188 views)
Shortcut
Help needed!? What to book!? Can't Post

Hey Guys,

I'm unsure if this has been posted recently but Ive not got the time to search through endless posts!! So I'm off to New Zealand in November for three weeks and i'm wanted to spend most of that doing a full LOTR tour. Its got to include the Weta Cave, Hobbiton and as many filming locations as possible! I'm guessing many people have done something similar but with so many companies out there is there any one anyone has used and could recommend? Any info would be awesome!

Thanks

Soph

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2013, 8:32pm

Post #2 of 16 (119 views)
Shortcut
What options do you have? [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, welcome to TheOneRing! Indeed, a lot of folks have been on tours in NZ here.

I know Red Carpet is still offering tours and they are very good (what I heard of, haven't been on one)
When I went I booked with The Haan, but I think they quit their LOTR tour because they didn't get too many travelers between ROTK and The Hobbit.
I don't know any other touring companies

A lot of the bigger sites you can visit with local tour operators.
There are day trips from Auckland to Matamata/Hobbiton, which is very doable in a day.
In Wellington you have Wellington Rover who offer tours to the locations in and near Wellington. They also visit the Weta Cave. But you can also go on your own to the Cave. It is open for general public.
From Christchurch you can visit Mt Sunday/Edoras.
And in Queenstown you have Nomad Safaris (if I remember the name correctly) who offer tours of the locations there.

NZ has great visitor centres (iSites) in every city. And they are all trying to get tourists for LOTR/Hobbit. You will find enough tours.

And don't forget to also look at the beauty of NZ it is an absolutely stunning country.

(This post was edited by Rosie-with-the-ribbons on Jan 24 2013, 8:35pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 24 2013, 10:11pm

Post #3 of 16 (116 views)
Shortcut
I've dealt with Red Carpet more than once [In reply to] Can't Post

And can highly, highly recommend them. These people not only cater to fans, they are fans themselves and have "ins" with Kiwis who've been involved with the films. One of their tours is very worthwhile.

Rosie's advice is very good, too.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 10:25pm

Post #4 of 16 (105 views)
Shortcut
I'm also hoping to visit NZ, but in June/July (yes I know it's winter then!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll probably be on quite a tight budget though. Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to see some "essential" bits? Obviously we will be visiting Hobbiton, but what other bits are really worth seeing? We'll be trying to see plenty of the rest of the country too Smile

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 24 2013, 10:56pm

Post #5 of 16 (111 views)
Shortcut
I can second the Nomad Safaris recommendation. [In reply to] Can't Post

They have half-day and full-day tours around Queenstown, taking in not only LOTR sites but general Queenstown sites as well. (We did a bit of gold-panning along the way.) Their jeeps have number plates with LOTR names - I got taken around by Pippin. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 24 2013, 11:05pm

Post #6 of 16 (136 views)
Shortcut
Get a copy of Ian Brodie's LOTR guide [In reply to] Can't Post

where has explicit directions (and possibly GPS coordinates?) of LOTR film sites, and hire a car in a couple of places for a day to get to as many of them as possible.

If you hire a car in Wellington you'll be able to include a half-day trip to the Putangirua Pinnacles, where the Dimholt Road section was filmed. They really do need to be seen to be believed. You can then tour around sites in Wellington city, such as the 'get off the road' site, Weta Cave/Park Road Post/Weta Workshop (all on the same road but only Weta Cave is open to the public), and the site where Dale was filmed - there will be others as well.

Queenstown is a great place to hire a car for the day as there are so many locations in a reasonably small area. However if you want to get to Mount Sunday (Edoras), I believe you need to be on a tour.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 25 2013, 1:09am

Post #7 of 16 (126 views)
Shortcut
Also have a look at this: [In reply to] Can't Post

Eledhwen's excellent tips while travelling in NZ.

Ataahua's stories

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2013, 7:53am

Post #8 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
How long are you going for? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's any length of time - at least a fortnight - as in the post Ataahua's put below I'd highly recommend BBH hostels. They have this ranking system which helps you pick a good hostel and I stayed in some exceptional places for relatively little money, helped by their discount card. The website's down this morning for me but it's www.bbh.co.nz. If you're travelling with a friend/partner many hostels have very reasonably-priced twin/double rooms which get you out of the dorms!! And don't worry about doing all the tours. You can see an awful lot of LOTR stuff if you have a vehicle and a guidebook - about all you'd need to book a tour for is Hobbiton and Edoras, really, as Edoras needs a 4WD (and is private land) and Hobbiton's private land.

Storm clouds

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 25 2013, 4:18pm

Post #9 of 16 (74 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tips Smile

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 25 2013, 4:20pm

Post #10 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
The post that Ataahua linked to is phenomenal [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSmileSmile Thankyou!

The plan is to spend about 3 weeks there. Thanks for all the tips Cool

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2013, 6:38pm

Post #11 of 16 (72 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And enjoy. Cool

Storm clouds

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 8:28pm

Post #12 of 16 (66 views)
Shortcut
For anyone planning to come to NZ, [In reply to] Can't Post

please note number 6 on this list. Don't forget about us!
Eledhwen's travel list is brilliant, but I must speak up about one thing. Golden kiwifruit are just about the most revolting fruit I have ever eaten (apart from feijoas). Laugh

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 9:09pm

Post #13 of 16 (59 views)
Shortcut
That's a great list! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually been to Montreal, Hobart, and Hyderabad in the last few years, and San Francisco in my childhood---I hope to get there again soon. You'll remember that we skipped Christchurch for Edoras---sorry about that. If we make it back to NZ, I promise to get there and have that long-delayed cup of coffee with you. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 10:01pm

Post #14 of 16 (72 views)
Shortcut
I shall look forward to it. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 4:25am

Post #15 of 16 (59 views)
Shortcut
I just returned from 3+ weeks in NZ! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was my second visit, and I look forward to a third, though probably not for a couple of years!

Eledhwen's list that Ataahua posted is great, although I've only done a fraction of the things on it. For my recent trip, I used Ian Brodie's book to find locations, and highly recommend it if you can't do the Red Carpet tour (which I've not done, but it's highly recommended).

For getting to Edoras, I highly recommend Hasslefree Tours. They have a close relationship with the owner of the property in question, and can drive you almost to the top. Also, their guides (mine was Rex) are incredibly knowledgeable. They are based in Christchurch, so you can take Starling's excellent advice. Mt. Sunday (Edoras) is hours away from anything at all and on private property, so it's really not practical to try and go on your own.

Hobbiton is awesome! Here are my photos! I recommend booking your visit early in the day. By late morning, busloads are arriving every few minutes, and it's really crowded.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jan 27 2013, 4:30am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 27 2013, 4:50am

Post #16 of 16 (91 views)
Shortcut
You're home! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your Hobbiton photos. And I second Hassle-Free tours - the day we had with them was just wonderful. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.