Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thrain's key

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 12:48pm

Post #1 of 9 (803 views)
Shortcut
Thrain's key Can't Post

How come Gandalf managed to get Thrain's key in Dol Guldur ? How was Thrain able to hide it from the Necromancer ?

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 1:08pm

Post #2 of 9 (401 views)
Shortcut
Would the Necromancer want the key? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the Necromancer was not looking for the key. He took the ring off Thrain, didn't he? But something like a key had nothing to do with him, and what he desired so it may have escaped his notice or he simply wasn't interested in it.

Now, this might be explained somewhere in the books, but I cannot remember it. Maybe in the next movie we will get to see Gandalf's meeting with Thrain, when Gandalf got the key, and there will be some sort of explanation then? Would be interesting.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 1:46pm

Post #3 of 9 (379 views)
Shortcut
Use your imagination [In reply to] Can't Post

How do prisoners normally hide things on their person? Crazy

xMb
The Shire

Jan 24 2013, 4:02pm

Post #4 of 9 (299 views)
Shortcut
oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 4:15pm

Post #5 of 9 (283 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! [In reply to] Can't Post

The key's a bit LARGE for that, don't you think?

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 5:41pm

Post #6 of 9 (265 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

Has vapor hands...he wouldn't want a key he couldn't hold. It's really annoying to only be able to pick up magic rings, and every time he takes a drink of chamomile tea it just runs out all over the floor, too.

On the serious side...He was probably more interested in the Ring Thrain would have had, so he could add it to his collection, and recharge his batteries a little.

andwise
Rivendell

Jan 25 2013, 1:32pm

Post #7 of 9 (96 views)
Shortcut
we dont need to worry.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Proffesor Tolkien decided that thrain should give the key to gandalf in dol guldur so I reckon we just accept it,not even the strictest of Tolkien scholars can question this Wink

(This post was edited by andwise on Jan 25 2013, 1:33pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 25 2013, 1:56pm

Post #8 of 9 (86 views)
Shortcut
That is a funny thing anyway... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when some self-proclaimed "purists" (how I hate that word) are confronted with plot-holes or maybe "not-so-strong-passages" by the Professor (not saying that this key thing is a plot-hole, I am speaking generally). ;)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 3:54pm

Post #9 of 9 (102 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget the map... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How come Gandalf managed to get Thrain's key in Dol Guldur ? How was Thrain able to hide it from the Necromancer ?

It's pretty easy (if uncomfortable) to imagine how Thrain hid the key. I think the better question is how he concealed the map. It was written on parchment and I doubt that he was able to hide it in an orifice. More likely that it was tightly folded and sewn into a piece of clothing. Perhaps it was later transferred to a crevice within Thrain's cell (along with the key).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.