Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug and The One Ring

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 4:44am

Post #1 of 9 (826 views)
Shortcut
Smaug and The One Ring Can't Post

First, do you think any bits or scenes will be shown/added of Smaug (maybe his origin) that are not in the book?

Second, how big of a role (emphasis wise) do you think Bilbo's ring will play in the next two movies? Will they constantly be emphasizing it in parts it shouldn't really be emphasized?

Gorgori
The Shire

Jan 24 2013, 4:56am

Post #2 of 9 (407 views)
Shortcut
Depends on ur take on when the Ring "awoke"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't have muchto say to your first question. But...

If its awakening is understood when it abandoned Golum to find a new master, then the ring could have a resonance that "attracted" evil creatures when they were in the vicinity.

If however, you interpret it to be 60 years later (like the movies seemed to portray), than no, no one should precieve the rings presence, and it should be left alone at least until it's time to setup the LOTR movies at the end.

(This post was edited by Gorgori on Jan 24 2013, 4:58am)

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 1:55pm

Post #3 of 9 (254 views)
Shortcut
no backstory, please [In reply to] Can't Post

First, do you think any bits or scenes will be shown/added of Smaug (maybe his origin) that are not in the book?

Doubt it, unless PJ wants backlash. Anytime he branches away from what Tolkien wrote it causes problems.

Second, how big of a role (emphasis wise) do you think Bilbo's ring will play in the next two movies? Will they constantly be emphasizing it in parts it shouldn't really be emphasized?

I hope not, but wouldn't be surprised if he does.

julia0925
The Shire

Jan 24 2013, 5:41pm

Post #4 of 9 (190 views)
Shortcut
the role of the ring [In reply to] Can't Post

I seriously doubt any of Smaug's backstory will be in the next movies.

As for the ring, in the book Bilbo uses it quite a bit--to the point where he has to admit to the dwarves that he has it. If PJ keeps to the book, as he typically does, it may seem like there's some over-emphasis on the ring, but it's not any more than was there to begin with.

-----
Lotr: You know it's been a bad day when even the elf is smudged.
TH: when the going gets tough, the tough call the eagles.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 6:02pm

Post #5 of 9 (184 views)
Shortcut
Not just a backstory [In reply to] Can't Post

What about any scenes with Samug that aren't in the book? Not necessarily his origin. Could they add any Smaug parts anywhere? I'm just worried we won't get to appreciate him enough!

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 7:17pm

Post #6 of 9 (184 views)
Shortcut
You may find this amusing: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/...meo-creature-design/

He talks about Smaug about 2-3 minutes into that video.

Jackson loves his creatures and monsters, so I daresay we'll see pleny of Smaug - enough to be both thrilled and horrified.

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 24 2013, 10:06pm

Post #7 of 9 (122 views)
Shortcut
Don't mix quantity with quality. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What about any scenes with Samug that aren't in the book? Not necessarily his origin. Could they add any Smaug parts anywhere? I'm just worried we won't get to appreciate him enough!

One of the main reasons why Smaug is so effective is that we see so little of him. Each extra appearance would simply dilute that effect. We shouldn't see Smaug doing anything twice, to ensure that the power of his presence remains strong. Once asleep, once riddling with Bilbo, once attacking the mountainside and finally going all out to destroy Laketown. Beyond that there's little that can be added. There's only one extra thing that I can think of that PJ might consider putting in, and that could be Bilbo eavesdropping the Necromancer himself trying to recruit Smaug into his service, just as Gandalf fears.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 11:59pm

Post #8 of 9 (114 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

from a geeky point of view, the sauron /smaug relationship is interesting, i guess they are sort of equals?

long lost gang from morgoths days, how old is smaug? would he have been around in the first age!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 3:47pm

Post #9 of 9 (107 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's age [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
from a geeky point of view, the sauron /smaug relationship is interesting, i guess they are sort of equals?

long lost gang from morgoths days, how old is smaug? would he have been around in the first age!

I think that it is impossible to be certain of Smaug's age one way or the other; however, Gandalf does speak of him as a young(ish) dragon when he attacked and occupied Erebor. That does imply that Tolkien's dragons are capable of reproducing and that Smaug was hatched in the mid-to-late Third Age.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.