Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Master of Laketown

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 10:10pm

Post #1 of 14 (988 views)
Shortcut
The Master of Laketown Can't Post

Although there are some pictures of the Master online, I've yet to see him discussed-what do you think of his appearance? Are you looking forward to seeing Stephen Fry in the role? How do you think he will be portrayed?

Here is a pic of Fry as the Master for those who have not already seen:
http://www.tumblr.com/...ster%20of%20laketown

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 10:18pm

Post #2 of 14 (488 views)
Shortcut
The Master of Laketown! [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like a greasy sleazy smarmy bloated bureaucrat! Stephen Fry is absolutely fabulous, I'm really looking forward to his portrayal as the Master of Laketown. The article also mentions Alfrid (I've been wondering who that was) as his "conniving civil servant".

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 10:23pm

Post #3 of 14 (446 views)
Shortcut
I'd have to see how they scripted him [In reply to] Can't Post

He's beginning to look like the Great Goblin or Grima to me for some reason. It will be interesting to see how much he gets into the action to rabble rouse against the dwarves bringing the dragon down upon them, and how much influence he has with the elves as well. Fry certainly has the skills to be a politician in the movies remaining. I just hope he's got some kind of appeal that isn't all bad, until he really gets greedy. Hopefully he's going to have great oration skills or something, so he can sway his followers and anyone that doesn't like the dwarves.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 10:27pm

Post #4 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut
He must have some appeal [In reply to] Can't Post

otherwise he wouldn't be the Master! Maybe he got his position through bribes and blackmail. I bet he overcharges the Wood-elves.

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 10:32pm

Post #5 of 14 (407 views)
Shortcut
Depends what you mean by appeal [In reply to] Can't Post

In terms of appeal to the people of lake-town, he was probably quite a good leader when he was elected but he eventually turned into this miser type who began to only care about money and himself.

In terms of an appeal to the film audience (us) I expect a lot of that is relying on the casting of Fry himself-he's about as fascinating a person as one can imagine, I suppose. Maybe Fry will bring a gentler, more kindly nature to the guy (so that he doesn't turn into another Denethor!)

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 10:45pm

Post #6 of 14 (384 views)
Shortcut
Yes...agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant he would be viewed as wise and a leader by the people of Laketown. Certainly he has the friendship of Thranduil and the commerce routes he created. Of course, they aren't going to have time to go into broad economics and socio-political stories, but it can be inferred in a number of ways.

As for what Fry will do with the character, I have no idea. Most of the characters I've seen him as are pompous asses, in a comic sort of way.

Avnar
Lorien

Jan 23 2013, 11:20pm

Post #7 of 14 (385 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he will be another one of those characters that PJ goes overboard with!

Even his "look" is stupid... You could have just used Fry as he is.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 1:04am

Post #8 of 14 (305 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Similarly, I could never understand why Theoden would have kept an obvious slimeball like Grima around (even before Theoden's takeover by Saruman). As conceived by PJ, Grima was really grotesque. I know you have to telegraph that to the audience, but it can get a bit obvious.

I always pictured the Master of Laketown as just a fat cat type, someone who had been in politics too long.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2013, 1:27am

Post #9 of 14 (302 views)
Shortcut
I'd much rather have him look like he does rather than Fry in a fat suit and nothing else // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 4:38am

Post #10 of 14 (272 views)
Shortcut
Master of Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks awesome! I cannot wait to see Fry's performance! His design is very nice, he looks like a nasty sleazy politician!!!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 6:07am

Post #11 of 14 (259 views)
Shortcut
Master of Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with everyone who said that he looks like a sleazy bureaucrat. I find it actually quite an interesting look, but I have to wait to see how he acts before I can form a real opinion. But I do love Stephen Fry, so I'm looking forward to his part in the story.

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 8:00am

Post #12 of 14 (248 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping... [In reply to] Can't Post

that he would look a bit subtler, and more 'sophisticated', so the audience won't know what to think when they first meet him.

And to be honest, he isn't THAT evil -- at least he should look a little bit respectable, IMO.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 5:43pm

Post #13 of 14 (137 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have politicians in the US that look very much like him. Fat, puffy faced types that never work for anyone but themselves. I'd say he's not so far from Mitch McConnell, he just dresses differently.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Jan 26 2013, 10:32am

Post #14 of 14 (105 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit disapponted (but not surprised) they went the direction of full-blown caricature.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.