Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Important reveal from interviews about DOS? SPOILER
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 7:21pm

Post #26 of 31 (1213 views)
Shortcut
There's also Thorin and the dragon sickness [In reply to] Can't Post

That only leaves a lot of exposition if you kill off the dragon completely in film 2. PJ isn't into long Jane Austen conversations amongst the dwarves, elves and men of the lake. He'll need more action.

I think it was Andy Serkis who said in an interview that "it's all about the characters". And they did spend some good screentime in AUJ on character moments. From that perspective, they could use the time to show the dragon sickness affecting Thorin and the effects that has on Bilbo and the other dwarves. He can't just go from normal to crazy really quickly - even if his prideful side starts showing up again well before, if they're going to go the dragon sickness route (and from interviews it sounds like they are), that can't start until they get to Erebor and near the gold. So in that scenario they'd have to spend a fair amount of time in Erebor so they can show Thorin getting increasingly sick and also showing the effect it has on Bilbo and the others. Just tossing my speculation hat into the Ring here (ha ha no pun intended :-)) ... Smaug could be killed at the end of DOS, but that 'upbeat' scene could then be followed by a final scene with Thorin in Erebor, one with a very contrasting atmosphere of dark foreboding, either of him becoming increasingly furious that he cannot find the Arkenstone, or a scene reminiscent of the Thror gold sickness scene in the Prologue with Kili and/or Fili and/or Bilbo being the troubled onlookers, or even I wouldn't rule out, something reminiscent of Gollum's freak out when he can't find the Ring, witnessed by Bilbo. Although personally I way prefer Thorin being his uber-majestic self, lol, not thrashing around in a pile of gold like a lunatic, so I hope they don't go that particular route :-).

And regarding the ending of DOS, having a somewhat upbeat 'yay-Smaug-is-dead' resolution scene followed by a final, foreboding all-is-not-well-with-Thorin scene would be in keeping with previous endings like TTT and like AUJ.

So in that scenario, that screentime in TABA could be used to explore the dragon sickness theme and its effects on all of them, especially too, Kili and Fili. One angle could be that Thorin's behavior drives a wedge between them. Oh no, that would be so sad Crazy!

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 8:46pm

Post #27 of 31 (417 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's true... [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be a transition period, like you described.

There will be some amount of time where the dwarves are effectively besieged in the mountain, while Thorin keeps looking for the Arkenstone, etc. There's even some amount of dissatisfaction because they are hungry, cold, etc. and more than one wants to simply give up some of the treasure. A lot of this sickness will be noticed by Balin, who is in the best position to judge his prince and comrade for a long time. He has also lived long enough to see the same problem arise with Thror. Bilbo and Balin will be the eyes through which we see this, that's my belief.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 9:44pm

Post #28 of 31 (406 views)
Shortcut
They have a lot of latitude with this [In reply to] Can't Post

There isn't really any discussion in the book among the full dwarf company about Thorin's decline, and it will be interesting to see how the filmmakers handle their acceptance of how Thorin wants to go forward. Right now they are set up as a fairly competent lot, with lots of individuality, and don't appear to me to be the types who would blindly follow someone on the train to Crazytown (then again, they have agreed to try to take back a mountain full of gold from a dragon, so I could be wrong). There was something of a foreshadowing of their own reaction to treasure in the troll cave scene, particularly the way Bofur acted when he saw all the gold. So maybe they all get a little dodgy in the presence of the gold in Erebor.

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 24 2013, 9:45pm

Post #29 of 31 (405 views)
Shortcut
That's not all, I bet. [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll probably also get events from other perspectives. I expect that we'll see Bard growing as a leader and finding the resolve to become the King of Dale. And we're likely to see Gandalf in ideological conflict with Saruman over what is the best course of action concerning the Necromancer, as well as the events of the Lonely Mountain. All and all, there's plenty to deal with. Remember that most of the Two Towers was essentially buildup for the final battle, with very few action scenes in between. I believe that this can work for There and Back Again, as well.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jan 25 2013, 7:52pm

Post #30 of 31 (357 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
smaug's death and the dol-guldur battle will both conclude DOS.

I checked the timeline. The White Council attacks Dol Guldur within the same month that Bilbo finds the ring. It is 3 or 4 months later when Smaug is killed.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 9:40pm

Post #31 of 31 (378 views)
Shortcut
i wouldn't hold PJ to those timelines [In reply to] Can't Post

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.