Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Little Details (aka, Ro's been thinking again)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 4:23pm

Post #51 of 69 (414 views)
Shortcut
I did really like N&S... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the ending is a little corny, but it works :) I'm really interested in seeing Black Sky...I can't imagine what Armitage will be like with an american accent.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2013, 6:03pm

Post #52 of 69 (399 views)
Shortcut
And who knows? Maybe having the extra light from the table [In reply to] Can't Post

would help those of 'a certain age' read those runes more easily...

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2013, 6:08pm

Post #53 of 69 (399 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
would help those of 'a certain age' read those runes more easily...

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Go outside and play...

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2013, 6:18pm

Post #54 of 69 (414 views)
Shortcut
The Dwarves' music [In reply to] Can't Post

in Bag End, the shift in mood between "Blunt the knives" and "Far over the Misty Mountains", is so well-drawn, musically, in the movie. It really brings the shift in the book to life.

I also appreciate the presentation of movie-Thranduil. I've never thought of him as 'nice' or 'kind' in my readings of TH, and it's going to be interesting watching how his character plays out in the movies.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 6:36pm

Post #55 of 69 (476 views)
Shortcut
The flute player [In reply to] Can't Post

gave me the creeps too Tongue She seemed like she was seriously trying to annoy the Dwarves rather than entertain them.

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Tintallë
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 7:00pm

Post #56 of 69 (397 views)
Shortcut
Correction: "Can you read them?" [In reply to] Can't Post

The printed words are so inadequate.

That deep, deliberate, gorgeous voice. And what an effort it must have taken Thorin to ask that of Elrond. . .

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 7:11pm

Post #57 of 69 (405 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf teasing [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe that was the real reason why Oin stuffed that cloth into his ear-trumpet Wink.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 24 2013, 8:38pm

Post #58 of 69 (381 views)
Shortcut
Lucas North [In reply to] Can't Post

After watching EVERY episode of MI-5 with RA in it, I am even more convinced that he is perfect for the role of Thorin.
His character, Lucas North, has a similar arc. A rise then a fall from grace that is heart-breaking to witness. He had me experiencing such a range of emotions towards the end of MI-5 that it makes me dread the final film.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2013, 9:54pm

Post #59 of 69 (375 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and Elrond and Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

At first, I found TH-movie-Elrond a bit too jolly. Now, it occurs to me that his move in the direction of 'Tralalally" is consistent with the book. Who knows, maybe dealing with a teenaged Aragorn soured his mood for LOTR...

And a crossover connection with LOTR was Gandalf telling Bilbo that "Home is behind you; the world ahead." It was cool to have that reference not only to one of Bilbo's poems, but to the LOTR movies as well.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 1:07am

Post #60 of 69 (360 views)
Shortcut
Good catch. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And a crossover connection with LOTR was Gandalf telling Bilbo that "Home is behind you; the world ahead." It was cool to have that reference not only to one of Bilbo's poems, but to the LOTR movies as well.

I finally noticed that reference last night (ok, it was because Mr. Ro poked me). Yes, that was a neat double-reference. I do, however, have trouble thinking of that line without thinking of Pippin singing it!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 10:36am

Post #61 of 69 (336 views)
Shortcut
I know it's been said before... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I could listen to RA reading the telephone book, or tax codes, or bank statements, or anything else he chooses, all day long...provided it's in his deep Thorin-register. I'll agree with you here: "Can you read them?" might be his best-sounding line in the movie. Well, except for the singing, of course. Not quite as manly, but I also love the way he says "long gone" when he's talking about Bilbo near the end: "He is long-gone."

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 26 2013, 12:28am

Post #62 of 69 (325 views)
Shortcut
Describing Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

"...a firedrake from the North...". Right out of the Silmarillion. Perfect.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Gelir
Bree

Jan 26 2013, 4:12am

Post #63 of 69 (308 views)
Shortcut
Re: Details [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Have you gone back to re-read The Hobbit since you first saw the movie? If so, has your appreciation of the book changed at all?

Yes, and *maybe* a little. I've always loved the book and that hasn't changed. But maybe I'm even more impressed with it from the standpoint of seeing how it inspired such a great movie, and such great attention to detail in the movie.

Also, I liked picturing the dwarves from the movie while reading the book, and of course having the songs in mind was very nice as well.

I re-read the appendix dealing with the quest too and really felt that the Thorin of the appendix is captured very well in the movie.

2. Have you been particularly struck by any little details in the book (or other source material) that you think were nicely depicted in the movie?

Yes, quite a bit! I should have written it down however, because I've probably already forgotten some of it. :) Having Oin and Gloin start the fire in the movie was a great touch - I remembered that before re-reading the book. (Also it was Gloin, not Oin, who wanted to start the fire in the cave).

Another nice little detail was pine cone scene: the dwarves cheering when Gandalf started the pine cone fires, the wolves (wargs) being afraid of fire and running off, but the goblins (orcs) not being afraid of fire.

Also, in the book Dori was carrying Bilbo as they were running from the Goblins, but he dropped him when a goblin attacked. After they escaped, he was getting the blame for losing Bilbo. This doesn't happen in the movie, but there is a little nod to the scene - Gloin says "I thought he was with Dori" and Dori, quite frustrated, says "Don't blame me!"

I was also pleased by how much of the dialog is taken from lines in the book. Even though it's not always said by the same person, it's nice that they took so much of it.

For example, the dragon thinks "Thieves! Fire! Murder!" when he realizes someone has stolen part of the treasure. In the movie, Radagast says this as he approaches the company in the woods.

Thorin says the line about the hurricane coming from the north, whereas this is in the prologue narrated by old Bilbo in the movie.

Gelir
Bree

Jan 26 2013, 4:28am

Post #64 of 69 (328 views)
Shortcut
Re: Arandiel's and Súlimë's comments about Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel:
I also appreciate the presentation of movie-Thranduil. I've never thought of him as 'nice' or 'kind' in my readings of TH, and it's going to be interesting watching how his character plays out in the movies.

I never liked Thranduil in the book. At all. It never really affected by opinion of other elves, but I disliked Thranduil quite a bit. The prologue only gave me another reason not to like him. I too am very curious to see what they'll do with his character. I suspect he'll be likeable by the very end - whether or not I can bring myself to like him will be another story.

Súlimë:
Now I can't wait for Thorin and Thranduil's confrontation in DOS. Even without the established enmity in the book, the scene still sizzled. I really want to see how they handle it in the movie, and I hope they keep the 'we were starving' bit in.

So do I! I love that part of the book and really want to see it in the movie. However, something is going to have to be different because in the movie they know each other. Thranduil would have to be stupid not to know that the dwarves are up to. I'm sure they can find a way to make it work, and make it work well, but I do hope they keep some of what's in the book.

Gelir
Bree

Jan 26 2013, 4:49am

Post #65 of 69 (469 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

and I was worried a bit I sounded too harsh (the flute player really gives me the creeps for absolutely no apparent reason).
The way you describe the atmosphere immediately reminded me of Boromir in Lothlorien (probably more so in the movie version, as a few scenes in the movie particularly focus on him feeling tense and not being able to find peace in Lorien), even though I know the reasons for the tension are different. It's sad to think of how unwelcome the dwarves must have felt in Rivendell (knowing it will get even worse in Thranduil's halls!), which in turn makes the motif of the proud race looking to reclaim their lost homeland so much stronger. Who would have thought PJ would make us root for the dwarves so much (and so much more than in the book, yes, at least so far in AUJ, to make this post more on-topic).
I hope the EE will help us understand, from the movie perspective, why Bilbo fell in love with Rivendell.

I think it makes sense that Bilbo loves it so much. Rivendell is beautiful; you can see it on the screen, and Bilbo clearly has never seen anything like it. He was always in search of elves as a child, and now he's finally getting to see them. Gandalf trusts them and the warmth between him and Elrond is apparent; Bilbo trusts and respects Gandalf so he trusts the elves as well.

And, the elves are very welcoming to the whole company. It's understandable that the dwarves don't feel comfortable, but I don't think the elves are trying to make them feel that way. The feed them the food that they themselves eat, and treat them as they would any honored guests. Even the flute player... I don't think she's purposely trying to annoy them; the elves probably think that's delightful dinner music and she probably plays the same way for all of their guests.

And Elrond is pretty nice to Thorin, and very welcoming to all of the dwarves.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 2:57am

Post #66 of 69 (273 views)
Shortcut
Watch Captain America [In reply to] Can't Post

He has one in that, very briefly. All I can say is, I hope he's been practicing.

In Reply To
...the ending is a little corny, but it works :) I'm really interested in seeing Black Sky...I can't imagine what Armitage will be like with an american accent.

SmileSmile

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 3:06am

Post #67 of 69 (269 views)
Shortcut
I have watched it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think he was supposed to have an american accent for CA, was he? I thought he was supposed to be a German (character was Heinz Kruger, I'm assuming it was a play on the name Hans Kruger). I could be completely wrong, though.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Jan 29 2013, 3:09am)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 3:12am

Post #68 of 69 (265 views)
Shortcut
He was a German agent posing as an American State Dept. employee [In reply to] Can't Post

In his initial lines he is using an American accent. So I guess it could be argued that his character isn't supposed to have a good American accent. This was a case of a British actor playing a German playing an American. Kind of meta.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 3:15am

Post #69 of 69 (310 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I think we've reached zen... [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, I completely missed him both times I watched it, because I didn't know who he was XD I just assumed he was a nazi-ish spy, and nothing seemed strange enough for me to notice it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.