Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DoS Prologue

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jan 22 2013, 10:33pm

Post #1 of 17 (1315 views)
Shortcut
DoS Prologue Can't Post

Here's my prediction for the prologue to the next film. I think this would set up Dol Guldur and Bolg whilst still keeping the primary focus on the Gandalf and the dwarves:

- Battle of Azanulbizar scenes showing Thrain being captured by orcs (introduce Bolg).
- Thrain held in Moria by Bolg and tortured.
- Necromancer visiting Moria (in some form) and ordering Bolg to lead a small of orcs to Dol Guldur to help him rebuild his fortress.
- Thrain being dragged to Dol Guldur by Bolg and driven mad.
- Gandalf visiting Dol Guldur Necromancer order orcs to hide in order to avoid detection.
- Gandalf encounters deranged Thrain, obtains the map and instructions to give it to Thorin.

cut to:

Gandalf, Thorin and Bilbo walking down the Carrock and discussing plans to visit Beorn.

Let me know what you think!

(This post was edited by Hamfast of Gamwich on Jan 22 2013, 10:34pm)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 22 2013, 11:32pm

Post #2 of 17 (541 views)
Shortcut
Seems too much to fit but I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2013, 11:44pm

Post #3 of 17 (541 views)
Shortcut
007 Gandy [In reply to] Can't Post

Habba habba, me likey! Wink

TheHutt
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 12:34am

Post #4 of 17 (492 views)
Shortcut
Too spoilery... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but on the other hand, it just might work.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 1:38am

Post #5 of 17 (408 views)
Shortcut
I like it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 23 2013, 2:09am

Post #6 of 17 (408 views)
Shortcut
Love it, but it's practically a movie by itself! [In reply to] Can't Post

What if someone gives a rough idea of timing on something like this?

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jan 23 2013, 4:31am

Post #7 of 17 (388 views)
Shortcut
interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I like this idea.

Here's my attempt:
"The Hobbit" title appears on the screen with a more solemn, slower rendition of the misty mountain theme score with deep, soothing brass ensemble. The camera then pans out, giving
panoramas of the moutains and forests. The misty mountain theme winds to an end and the camera swoops over a solitary, wandering figure. The new theme is something
like from the film 'the day after tomorrow' in its first 24s; the voice gives a mysterious, haunting flavor. (for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xcoXgL0mAc first seconds).
this figure is obviously thrain, but we don't know for sure as there is no narration, no dialoge. there is one closeup with the dwarf consulting a map and then looking onto the horizon.

then there is a shot with a dark ominous presence, perhaps simply a dark boot on the ground with thrain in the distant foreground. he is clearly being watched.

the next scene shows a furrowed dwarf slumped against the ruin of a wall, seemingly despairing. the camera shots are distant, and give no closeups. yet it is apparent that something has happened to the dwarf, that he's been tortured. the camera keeps it's distance from this mysterious figure. there is no score, just the rough sounds of the desolate, bereft location with the wind and the harsh silence.

the next cutaway shot is on ground level in front of the old, mad, tortured dwarf. he is slumped against the wall, nearly spent. grey boots step in front of the camera at ground level. next we a distant shot of a taller figure slumped over the succumbing dwarf figure. it's dark, can barely make out the shapes of the figures. the next shot we see a hand holding a staff, seemingly supporting the body of some character. we don't see the face of him but we all know who this is. they seem to be talking to eachother, but the audience is given no dialogue of what is being said. we do not here anything, but they are clearly talking. the next shot is finally a closeup of the old dwarf as he reaches into his side and slowly struggling brings forth the key and gives it the larger hands of the other figure. as he draws forth the map the misty mountain theme gently breaks out with no instrument but just the baritone hums of dwarves humming the theme. thrains hand goes limp as he hands over the key. no dialogue throughout, no explanations. we all know or will find out what went on here.

the flashback immediately ends and we're back to thorin, gandalf, and bilbo at carrock.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 5:49am

Post #8 of 17 (334 views)
Shortcut
Ah, you're back! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed this post. The music is affecting and the singing would work well. I'd certainly rather have the allusion to torture than see it. Add this in: if Thrain is that figure we saw fighting with Gandalf in an earlier cut, he has recovered enough to defend himself wildly when he thinks he is being attacked again and fights until he collapses or Gandalf convinces him he is a friend. Then finish as you suggest.

That's enough darkness.
We then cut back to Gandalf and Thorin sitting under a tree, smoking, looking thoughtful and watching the others cavorting in the old swimming hole, wargs and Azog temporarily forgotten. Dark and light. Light and dark. And so the story goes.

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Jan 23 2013, 10:47am

Post #9 of 17 (297 views)
Shortcut
My take: [In reply to] Can't Post

Prologue: Gandalf skulking around Dol Guldur. He finds Thrain who gives him the map and key, then dies.

Cut to the Company descending the Carrock. The come to Beorn's house, but find no one is home. Gandalf leads them inside, and explains who and what Beorn is. At that, Beorn enters, carrying Thorin's oakenshield. Initially outraged at finding intruders, he is calmed by Gandalf who explains their situation. Beorn believes them due to Thorin exaplaining that the shield is his and he lost it in battle with the orcs on the cliff. Beorn shares his dislike for orcs, and we are treated to a flashback of him being tortured by Bolg.

Back to the present day. Beorn makes an excuse to leave but tells the Company to make themselves at home (he is off to the Carrock, to transform). A short while later, there are sounds of commotion outside. Thorin goes out to find Azog and his company riding up to Beorn's house. The Company come out to join him, and battle is joined once again. Thorin is unable to get to Azog due to his warg, and is thrown a round a bit. At that, Beorn in bear form charges out of the trees and tackles into the White Warg.

Azog, now unhorsed, is forced to face Thorin 1 on 1. By now the rest of the Company and Gandalf have slain the other orcs and wargs, just as Beorn kills the White Warg. They surround Azog, but Thorin tells them to back off - Azog is his. They duel, and after a tense battle, Thorin finally slays the Pale Orc.

We are then treated to Beorn transforming back into human form. He then sticks Azog's and the other orc's heads on spikes outside his house, as a warning to other orcs.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 11:25am

Post #10 of 17 (271 views)
Shortcut
Not gonna happen... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"The Hobbit" title appears on the screen with a more solemn, slower rendition of the misty mountain theme score with deep, soothing brass ensemble.

Not gonna happen. It will be the same Shire theme as in the first one, probably in a different arrangement.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

nhui06
Rivendell

Jan 23 2013, 6:08pm

Post #11 of 17 (221 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Opening shot after the Hobbit title will be camera panning over Mirkwood and reveal Dol Guldur (like the shot in Trailer 2). Cut into the fortress where a pack of orcs drag a beaten up dwarf onto a table. We then see Bolg, who tortures the dwarf asking for information about his son Thorin while a giant white orc is in the back (Azo) watching. The dwarf (Thrain) shouts out something (maybe 'Erebor') when suddenly a white flash occurs, and a battle ensues. The orces are essentially chased away and we see Gandalf tending to Thrain, who with us last breath tells Gandalf to give the key and map to his son Thorin before the dies. Cut back to current time with title Desolation of Smaug and the dwarves heading to Beorn's house

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jan 23 2013, 6:37pm

Post #12 of 17 (196 views)
Shortcut
Some really exciting ideas in this thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

My idea for the prologue isn't really any longer than the FOTR prologue, although now I think maybe it'd be better if it ended with Thrain being taken to Dol Guldur.

Gandalf could tell the story of his visit to Dol Guldur in discussions with Beorn. I also had the idea that Gandalf doesn't tell Thorin where he got the map from as he doesn't want Thorin to be distracted from dealing with Smaug by seeking revenge on the forces in Dol Guldur for what they did to his father.

peace1993
Bree

Jan 23 2013, 7:47pm

Post #13 of 17 (182 views)
Shortcut
This is the perfect prologue. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 23 2013, 8:01pm

Post #14 of 17 (178 views)
Shortcut
prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there is a lot of ideas about dol guldur and beorn and stuff by why not start it by foreshadowing Smaug somehow. Then the title "Desolation of Smaug could pop up. It would work just like "An Unexpected Journey" did.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jan 23 2013, 11:57pm

Post #15 of 17 (132 views)
Shortcut
He's already been foreshadowed though hasn't he [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the audience know what to expect from Smaug.

What could they show to foreshadow him that hasn't already been seen?

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 4:15am

Post #16 of 17 (115 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the audience know what to expect from Smaug.

What could they show to foreshadow him that hasn't already been seen?

I think it would make sense with the title n what not....as for what to show....anything really, maybe an origin story? They will most likely add new Smaug scenes that aren't in the book anyways.

nhui06
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 2:53pm

Post #17 of 17 (122 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a bit tacky but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes my Prologue can transition into the title screen of the Desolation of Smaug very well. When a dying Thrain gives Gandalf the map and key, the last shot of the scene can be Gandalf opening the map and seeing Erebor and the picture of the dragon, then in comes the title 'Desolation of Smaug'.

I was thinking though if Thrain is actually in the movie during the current timeline, then he cannot die in the prologue, so this may not work... unless the orcs flee with Thrain (in a cage or something), and Thrain drops the map and key for Gandalf to find. I don't know.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.