Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the post-holiday reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 6:21pm

Post #26 of 37 (50 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit [In reply to] Can't Post

that there's a part of me that's really narcissistic. I try to keep it i check in public, but that part of me enjoyed the Black-Hole-Sue aspect of the story (a term I got from tvtropes)

The only stylistic thing that's bothering me about Carriger's book is that she sometimes has her characters use words that have changed meaning since the time the story happens, and they use the modern meaning. Like "mad" or "nice'. It always jars me. But other than that I'm loving it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 6:23pm

Post #27 of 37 (47 views)
Shortcut
Any time a Pratchett fan says someone reminds them of him, I pay attention [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahh - this is the Parasol Protectorate series that's been mentioned here a lot.

*Marks it in Goodreads as "want to read"*

Thanks -

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 6:25pm

Post #28 of 37 (75 views)
Shortcut
Elucidate, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not getting Lucy/Ethel, and I'm curious.

Yes, I love Lord Akeldama too <3

Thanks for the good wishes. I think I've turned the corner on the cold.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2013, 6:55pm

Post #29 of 37 (63 views)
Shortcut
Question... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought Carriger filled in the events from the first book sufficiently well, but there were some stylistic bits that got to be rather annoying after a while (I annoy easily---occupational hazard Unsure) and I so disliked the ending I haven't read any more in the series.

They have their charming moments, certainly, and remind me very, very much of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series.

Does the annoying style also remind you of the Amelia Peabody series? Or are you saying they are similar other than the annoying stylistic bits?

As a huge fan of Peters, I would be curious to read something similar.

I'm actually rereading "Crocodile on the Sandbank" at present, I was in the mood for something familiar and light and much-loved -by-me.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 7:34pm

Post #30 of 37 (47 views)
Shortcut
I love the Peters series, don't get me wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that Carriger's characters (there's a bit of a tongue-twister) sound very much like Amelia and Emerson with paranormal elements. So it's not that I find the Peters books annoying, it's that I feel Carriger's mimicry of them is a bit annoying, because I think she's a good enough author to have established her own voice.

If you're looking for something similar to the Peters books, then by all means, try Carriger!

IMHO, Carriger was also channeling Jane Austen's comedies-of-manners, which, also IMHO, wore a bit thin at times, in that I felt the plot was too often secondary to the manners (unlike Austen, where often the plot IS the manners, if you see what I mean Crazy )

And I repeat, I strongly disliked the ending, but YMMV, of course.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 7:35pm

Post #31 of 37 (51 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have the book on me at the moment, so I can't list any specific passages, but there's definitely a number of shifts in tense, sometimes at multiple times in a paragraph or sentence. It doesn't happen very often, but often enough to be noticed. Like I said, it mightb e the copy of it I have, or maybe it's intentional, but right now I'm having trouble discerning which. Tongue

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 7:42pm

Post #32 of 37 (43 views)
Shortcut
Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer [In reply to] Can't Post

by Fred Kaplan

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 23 2013, 8:14pm

Post #33 of 37 (37 views)
Shortcut
Well, ***spoilers*** [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been close to a year since I read the last book, and, I can't even remember the main character's name! Blush I think the Lucy/Ethel vibe is more prominent in the later books. Stop reading now if you don't want to be spoiled.

Seriously.

In one of the books, I think it's the fourth one, she finds herself inside a rampaging automaton octopus, and her pregnancy nearly to term. In another, she's up in a dirigible and somebody is dangling precariously from it. (Gosh, my memory is bad. I can't remember if it's the heroine or her friend who does the dangling! Blush)

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 8:18pm

Post #34 of 37 (39 views)
Shortcut
as you know I'm easily annoyed too [In reply to] Can't Post

Still, I made it to book four of the Parasol Protectorate before my annoyance with Carriger's self-conscious archness and my bete noir, her tendency to tell the reader what to think, got the best of me.

I noticed her tendency to use terms incorrectly as well. She seems to think a pelisse is a form of negligee, for instance. And she really, really needs someone who actually speaks French to correct hers.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2013, 9:25pm

Post #35 of 37 (28 views)
Shortcut
OK, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like it would be worth a try. Maybe not the second one with the annoying ending, to get started with... Smile

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 2:39am

Post #36 of 37 (33 views)
Shortcut
Only the Daniel Craig one// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 24 2013, 3:16pm

Post #37 of 37 (49 views)
Shortcut
You have me intrigued now [In reply to] Can't Post

I see there's a free Kindle download of Kidnapped---I'll get it for my ereader and see what I think is going on with the shifts in tense.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.