Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It starts with Azog...it comes to fruition with Radagast....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 22 2013, 8:59pm

Post #26 of 31 (117 views)
Shortcut
My argument is not a circle...for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Because these are problems I have with the film.

I said I find it ironic that the film probably would have been better off sticking closer to the book, because I really didn't care if it did or not. I wanted it to succeed as a film above anything. In my mind, it fell flat as a film IRONICALLY because of all the things added to it, which in this film, didn't have a complete arc or resolution.

Savy?

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 22 2013, 9:28pm

Post #27 of 31 (108 views)
Shortcut
The things added to this film... [In reply to] Can't Post

...weren't supposed to have a complete arc or resolution yet...that's the point. It's building up over the three films. Not saying you had to like them, but you can't argue they should have been resolved when the whole point is to carry the storyline of the necromancer through the next two films.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 22 2013, 10:20pm

Post #28 of 31 (103 views)
Shortcut
Love This Thread [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many interesting ideas floating around this thread that it is a real joy to read.
Some Questions that Need Answering:
1. If as a film-maker you are sure to have an EE of your film might it make you less careful in editing the theatrical release ("It will all become clear in the EE")?

2. Of the 4 movies so far which is the most faithful to the text?

3. Is AUJ the first movie that is asking you to wait until the third installment until you have a complete picture?

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 22 2013, 10:36pm

Post #29 of 31 (88 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Absolutely not...the theatrical release is where you will make 95% of the money...you want it to be as perfect as possible. Director's cuts are for the fans.

2. AUJ, by a long shot. LotR cut out so much text, moved it around, changed characters and got rid of many of them completely. That's why I don't understand why people think AUJ isn't faithful to the text...you could follow along at any point in the book (or appendices) and find 95% of the material.

3. Nope, the previous movies asked you to do it, too. FotR, for example...you got glimpses of Gollum throughout, but didn't see him in full until TTT. And in TTT, you only get part of Faramir's story- you don't get all of it until RotK. But I don't know why everything has to be wrapped up...that kind of defeats the purpose of breaking it up into three films. Not everything has to be episodic. And the necromancer plot is definitely in the background, although it will more than likely show up in full force in the next movie.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 22 2013, 10:55pm

Post #30 of 31 (85 views)
Shortcut
Good Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

1. You should definitely cut the theatrical release as best you can. The EE's simply add to the story, they shouldn't detract from the theatrical version.

2. AUJ is the most faithfull to the text for sure. Whether or not it's faithful to the spirit is a different story. This is entirley a matter of opinion for everyone, since we all have different versions of the book in our head. I just feel LOTR was more faithfull to the spirit, and atmosphere of the book, rather than the actual text.

3. It seems to me like you will need TDOS and TABA to complete AUJ in a way that wasn't as forced in the LOTR trilogy. Yes, you need the next to film to complete the story, but character arcs and story beats are different. At the end of FOTR, you got a good sense of drastic change and closure. The Fellowship was broken, Boromir dead, Merry and Pippin captured etc.. But it felt like one stage of the journey was over. I didn't really get that same feeling at the end of AUJ.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 11:12pm

Post #31 of 31 (101 views)
Shortcut
The only things that bother me about Radagast are bird crap, stick insects and eye rolling. Azog is another matter [In reply to] Can't Post

They distorted too much of the powerful history of The Dwarves to accomodate Azog, and that rankles me still. Radagast and his bunny sled just fit in with the more child leaning Wondertale that The Hobbit is supposed to be. If you will, they mayhaps balaced the removal of a talking troll-purse with a Wizard's bunny sled, which is far less outrageous and silly if you think about it.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.