Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 22 2013, 9:47am

Post #26 of 41 (130 views)
Shortcut
Same here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just not my type of movies at all. I tried watching Kill Bill because of all the hype and couldn't even finish it. It was mean-spirited and I felt it was irresponsible violence.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 22 2013, 2:33pm

Post #27 of 41 (132 views)
Shortcut
Puberty video for sixth graders [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

Yesterday parents were given the opportunity to view a video that the school shows the kids, in conjunction with their "Worth the Wait" sex ed. curriculum. Very, very mild, if a bit dated in the look of it. (It was made in the 90s, but is still accurate. I guess some things don't really change.)

*sniffle* I can't believe my baby darling is old enough for this stuff! But when he brought home his permission slip last week, he announced that they were finally going to learn "the secrets of the Universe!" LaughCrazy

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 4:30pm

Post #28 of 41 (101 views)
Shortcut
that's my other objection to Tarantino [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually tried to watch "Inglourious Basterds" but oh, those LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG scenes that are painfully drawn out to milk every last bit of emotion backfired on me and made me fast-forward after a while. Made me feel that the director is every bit as sadistic as Waltz's character was supposed to be. I can handle how Spielberg and Jackson and Cameron indulge their own foibles; I'm bored by how Lucas and Bay do it; but I have no desire to see any more examples of Tarantino's love of cruelty.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2013, 5:48pm

Post #29 of 41 (85 views)
Shortcut
I didn't find anything wrong with her, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can completely understand what makes her off-putting. Tongue

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 22 2013, 6:23pm

Post #30 of 41 (104 views)
Shortcut
He does seem stuck... [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost like Malick is stuck on his trees, or Mel Gibson is into self-punishment...

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 6:54pm

Post #31 of 41 (108 views)
Shortcut
Well I hope you were paying attention [In reply to] Can't Post

Now you will be able to share the *secrets of the Universe* with the rest of us...Cool

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Jan 22 2013, 8:57pm

Post #32 of 41 (97 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally saw it for the first time! As soon as I heard the hobbit/Shire music I got all giddy. Overall, I really liked it (not as much as the book though). I felt as if some of the scenes did not smoothly transition...

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've been away for awhile... Does anyone know if there's going to be an extended edition, like LotR?

Ah! like gold fall the leaves in the wind,
Long years numberless as the wings of trees!
The long years have passed like swift draughts
Of the sweet mead in lofty halls
Beyond the West, beneath the blue vaults of Varda
Wherein the stars tremble
In the voice of her song, holy and queenly...

-Namárië

fellowship

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 9:40pm

Post #33 of 41 (91 views)
Shortcut
"I'm just trying to be a better person"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so I decided to be Earl -- he seems like a pretty good guy to be! :)

Thanks for helping me straighten out my identity crisis! Still laughing here about your comment..and the show, which I am glad to hear you like as well!

Weaver

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2013, 10:34pm

Post #34 of 41 (89 views)
Shortcut
Bourne Legacy and Taken 2 - action weekend I guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both were fine as rentals.

Taken 2....pretty much the same as Taken 1 but satisfyingly simple...good guys, bad guys with a vendetta twist.

Bourne Legacy...hmm, ok....good idea but something was missing. My wife and I were shocked at Rachel Weisz look...for someone publicly against plastic surgery she looked VERY different than when she was younger.

Both are weekend rental quality....they are what they are and they deliver what you expect.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2013, 11:28pm

Post #35 of 41 (92 views)
Shortcut
I am quite sure there will be....$$$$ [In reply to] Can't Post

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Jan 23 2013, 12:38am

Post #36 of 41 (102 views)
Shortcut
The Lost World (1925) and The Mist [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost impossible to watch The Lost World without the lenses of Spielberg's Jurassic Park trilogy, the Walking With franchise and current scientific knowledge of dinosaurs, but it was cutting edge at the time it was made, and surprisingly it still holds up as a really fun movie. It's also actually a great movie for kids who are old enough to read the dialogue (it's silent, after all) but not old enough for the intensity of JP yet. There's plenty of Allosaurus and T-Rex chomping action, the Triceratops Mom and Juvenile are the cutest dang dinos I've seen on screen, and the Brontosaurus' (Apatosaurus) rampage through London obviously influenced many Dino movies after it, up to and including Jurassic Park - The Lost World. I was happy to return to the days when I was still a little girl, Dinosaurus was one of my favorite movies, and the Anatotitans in my beloved American Museum of Natural History were still Trachodons and the Apatosaurus was still Brontosaurus, if only for an hour and a half.

In contrast, I also watched The Mist, which was typical Stephen King horror - until the last five minutes, which involved what might arguably be the bleakest, most soul-crushing ending I've ever seen in a movie that wasn't based on real-life war crimes. I'm still trying to decide if the conclusion was gutsy or simply sadistic.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 23 2013, 2:53am

Post #37 of 41 (87 views)
Shortcut
The Mist was made into a movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

That short story scared the living daylights out of me. Was the ending the same as in the story? (The man and a couple of others got in a jeep and decided to drive away from the supermarket, hoping to find a place where the mist didn't reach.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Jan 23 2013, 3:10am

Post #38 of 41 (60 views)
Shortcut
The ending was changed. [In reply to] Can't Post

The novella in Skeleton Crew left the fate of the characters in the jeep up in the air. The movie gave it a horrific twist that I don't really want to give away. I'll just say that it's extremely shocking and you should find out what it is upon first viewing rather than having read it beforehand if you're interested. I warn you though - you might want to have a comedy movie or sitcom episode ready afterwards to improve your mood - it's that bleak.

All of the creatures that came out of the mist were pretty darn scary.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 3:21am

Post #39 of 41 (65 views)
Shortcut
The ending is on one hand horrible; yet [In reply to] Can't Post

on the other... it does make you stop and think. Or scream at the screen. IMHO it was an improvement on the ambivalence of the book ending.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 4:59pm

Post #40 of 41 (51 views)
Shortcut
oh yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Gibson lost me with "Braveheart."

I've advocated elsewhere for why all authors need editors, but directors need them too!

At the very least they need to heed Annie Dillard's dictum that you must take out the bits you love the most. I think Stephen King said something similar.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 23 2013, 5:00pm)

willowing
Lorien

Jan 25 2013, 8:20am

Post #41 of 41 (73 views)
Shortcut
Jack Reacher [In reply to] Can't Post

With much hesitancy I decided to go and see Jack Reacher.

This film has never being short of criticism especially about a certain actor playing the main character from the book.

Having never read any of the books in this series I just felt that Tom put on a really good debut, with a strong supporting cast performances.

There are some hilarious and disturbing moments.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.