Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
i agree with your hubby on almost every account

Arthael
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 10:58pm

Views: 129
Shortcut
i agree with your hubby on almost every account [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a strange breed. I'm an "adaption"-firster. I started with the Hobbit cartoon at 6 and became obsessed. When I was 7 my uncle gave me the Mind's Eye radio production, which made me even more obsessed. I read the hobbit in 5th grade I believe. Then saw Fellowship when I was 13. Again, obsessed. Read the trilogy before TTT came out. I've always been fond of the adaptations, and in some ways I think they improve upon their source material. Granted, more often than not, Tolkien got it right the first thing, but there are moments in the Hobbit cartoon and in the LotR films that I believe were handled better than the books.

My reactions to his comments:

1. Absolutely 100% agree. The spiritual undertones of LotR, both film and book, give it a whole deeper layer than the Hobbit never really touches. This is something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, and it didn't even hit me until you mentioned it. Fate, death, courage, love for one's neighbor, the afterlife, hope.....these might be mentioned by name in the Hobbit, but I'd hardly call them themes. But for me personally, RotK is a deeply spiritual film (although it is not in any way "religious").

2. you skipped 2 ;)

3. Freeman's "jerky" acting gets on my nerves more than it does for most people. I still like him, but I would have preferred more of the subtle Arther Dent/John Watson- Freeman. I've heard a lot of his over-the-top performance was requested by Jackson.

4. Most of my favorite parts were the LotR-inspired ones. Although the Dwarves song was marvelous and easily a highlight. While being firmly rooted in The Hobbit, it does share the gravity of a LotR moment.

5. That's because it is. Tolkien wrote a story for children, and then basically re-wrote it with his larger legendarium in mind. This is painfully obvious in the first chapter (AUJ vs. Fellowship) but as far as plot points go this reaction should diminish as the story progresses. it's very true that Tolkien's books follow the same physical path across the map for the first leg of the journey.

6. I'll disagree there, I enjoyed the Dwarves a lot. Although that's probably because I'm already familiar with them.

7. Borimir's death is an emotional pinnacle of the film trilogy, but there's nothing to compare to it until the end of The Hobbit. The aftermath of the Bo5A will hopefully pluck those same heartstrings. Nothing Jackson can really do about it til then!

8. I enjoyed the goblin king, but I thought Radagast's comedy was not just over the top, but totally forced. However, his "serious" moment telling Gandalf about the darkness of Dol Guldur was pretty fantastic IMO and "rescued" my interpretation of his character. I can't wait to see more of him!

9. Eh, can't really fault him for thinking the Dwarves don't stand out. They don't when compared to a normal movie, but compared to Tolkien's writing they're full on celebrities. Again, if I wasn't already familiar with the book and the characters I'd prob feel the same way.

10. Eh, i thought it was comically naive, but i understand why it could be annoying.

11. To each his own ;)

As for the eagles: Tolkien wrote us all in a corner there. Same Deus Ex Machina every darn time! If I wasn't so dedicated to the source material, I'd be bored as all-get-out with them by now. I will say, however, that their appearance in AUJ was probably the "coolest" and most striking visually.

In the end, they're just different things. As much as I wanted "Before LotR" I'm still happy with "The Hobbit" overall. I realize that it's a children's story, and while I like that Jackson has darkened it some, I appreciate that it has a lighter tone. And when I eventually watch them in order, it'll be a nice transition across 6 films where (hopefully) it gets better with every installment! LotR will always be the epic, gritty sequel!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Subject User Time
A fan and a non-book-reader walk into a movie... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jan 21 2013, 7:14am
    Totally fell for the post title Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 7:40am
        and one more thing... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 21 2013, 8:14am
    Hobbit swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 21 2013, 8:09am
    my partner hasn't read the books and she loved it lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Jan 21 2013, 10:11am
    I went... The Mitch King Send a private message to The Mitch King Jan 21 2013, 10:16am
    Went with my gf first time then friend second time imin Send a private message to imin Jan 21 2013, 12:01pm
    My second viewing Rosie-with-the-ribbons Send a private message to Rosie-with-the-ribbons Jan 21 2013, 12:52pm
        Reason for quest arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jan 21 2013, 3:02pm
            Probably coming from the friend Rosie-with-the-ribbons Send a private message to Rosie-with-the-ribbons Jan 21 2013, 3:33pm
    Non-book reader reaction arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jan 21 2013, 2:50pm
    The non-readers had a different experience Gelir Send a private message to Gelir Jan 21 2013, 2:57pm
    I have the exact same experience Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Jan 21 2013, 3:25pm
        The problem is: macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Jan 21 2013, 3:29pm
            I dont think its because LOTR came first Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Jan 21 2013, 3:56pm
                Agree with you sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Jan 21 2013, 4:33pm
            This is why we can't have nice things Rane Send a private message to Rane Jan 21 2013, 6:45pm
                I disagree LordMaximus Send a private message to LordMaximus Jan 21 2013, 8:20pm
    I saw the movie with a friend the other day... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 21 2013, 3:38pm
    Very interesting! Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Jan 21 2013, 3:41pm
    Let me have a go... BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Jan 21 2013, 4:20pm
    Interesting Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jan 21 2013, 6:39pm
    Interesting comparisons. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 21 2013, 7:15pm
    First of all... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jan 21 2013, 7:59pm
        Oh dear. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 21 2013, 8:14pm
            She already said there are too many of them to have them all survive :))) Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jan 21 2013, 8:31pm
    Here's my take Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 21 2013, 8:32pm
        About Freeman Jax_Teller Send a private message to Jax_Teller Jan 21 2013, 9:38pm
    i agree with your hubby on almost every account Arthael Send a private message to Arthael Jan 21 2013, 10:58pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.