Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Villains!!!

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 2:43am

Post #1 of 24 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Villains!!! Can't Post

Which villain's development are you most looking forward to in DOS and TABA?

Kirly
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 2:45am

Post #2 of 24 (470 views)
Shortcut
Smaug! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Takepo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 2:46am

Post #3 of 24 (510 views)
Shortcut
Let me see.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes--Smaug! I suppose an obvious choice :)

I'm dying to hear what theme music Howard Shore will dream up for Smaug the Golden!

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 2:48am

Post #4 of 24 (481 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

have to with Smaug on this one. Looking forward to the whole conversation with Bilbo. ^_^

malla
Bree

Jan 21 2013, 3:13am

Post #5 of 24 (498 views)
Shortcut
Villian development [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 3:22am

Post #6 of 24 (435 views)
Shortcut
Yes, good one :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

tupps

Jan 21 2013, 3:27am

Post #7 of 24 (450 views)
Shortcut
ZING! [In reply to] Can't Post

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 7:01am

Post #8 of 24 (370 views)
Shortcut
Saruman for sure.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Saruman

Could not agree more. I feel he's the one letting AZOG or even the Necromancer know of Gandalf's involvement in the Thorin's quest...

A snake all the way!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 7:04am

Post #9 of 24 (386 views)
Shortcut
Smaug the ... what color??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course we get just glimpses of the Mighty Smaug in AUJ, saving the Big Reveal for DOS!

I'm trying to figure out what color he really is. The first bit of snout we see is blue, then it's reddish, and blueish. Maybe he changes color as he warms up.

It'll be interesting!

Go outside and play...

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 21 2013, 7:57am

Post #10 of 24 (382 views)
Shortcut
Bifur! [In reply to] Can't Post

But seriously, I will go hard against the stream and say AZOG and/or BOLG Smile

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Jan 21 2013, 7:58am)

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 9:48am

Post #11 of 24 (343 views)
Shortcut
We know what the main ones will play out [In reply to] Can't Post

but Azog is completely in the air SO I'm interested whether they will kill him off or not.

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 12:33pm

Post #12 of 24 (327 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a villain after all in DoS

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 2:08pm

Post #13 of 24 (286 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

Wil he remain just like in AUJ or will we see another form of his presence. Really excited about that.

Arthael
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 3:54pm

Post #14 of 24 (256 views)
Shortcut
I really wanna see how they handle the Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

and the Ringwraiths!!! I hope they don't all look the like Video Game Witch King....

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 4:01pm

Post #15 of 24 (257 views)
Shortcut
One for each movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug in the next one, obviously.

And Thorin in the last one. Seriously. As much as I dread it, I'm really looking forward to his fall from grace, and his redemption at the end. It will definitely be the most interesting character development arc.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 5:44pm

Post #16 of 24 (241 views)
Shortcut
Thorin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Namely the parts where he picks up Bilbo to murder him and calls him a descendant of rats.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:05pm

Post #17 of 24 (245 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil a villain? [In reply to] Can't Post

I see the Elvenking as less a villain than an obstacle in the company's way. He had good reasons to distrust strangers in his Realm given the darkening of the Greenwood into Mirkwood Forest. Even after the demise of Smaug, once King Thranduil discovers that the dwarves are still alive, he proves reluctant to go to war over treasure alone.

I expect Thorin's fall to be handled in an almost Shakespearean manner, much as how Tolkien himself treated it.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 7:25pm

Post #18 of 24 (217 views)
Shortcut
Sure, why not [In reply to] Can't Post

-He locked the dwarves in prison for over a month.
-He was willing to kill them over the treasure after Smaug died
-Not only did he not help fight Smaug, he didn't even help the injured survivors nor did he help the survivors find a new home.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 7:57pm

Post #19 of 24 (214 views)
Shortcut
Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm assuming he'll show up somewhere (he's been cast?), and if so he'll be the main villain in the Battle of Five Armies. Maybe he'll be introduced in DoS, then be fleshed out in TaBA.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 9:06pm

Post #20 of 24 (198 views)
Shortcut
A correction... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
-He locked the dwarves in prison for over a month.
-He was willing to kill them over the treasure after Smaug died
-Not only did he not help fight Smaug, he didn't even help the injured survivors nor did he help the survivors find a new home.

In point of fact, Thranduil had assumed that Smaug had already killed Thorin and his followers. When he learned of their survival he expressed reluctance to press an attack for treasure alone.

Thranduil does imprison the dwarves, but he as good reasons to be suspicious as they would give no account of themselves and he treats them fairly decently.

Realisticly, Thranduil could not have brought a force to bear against Smaug until well after the dwarves had been driven out of Erebor or eaten. Yes, he could have shown more sympathy for the survivors, but at least he didn't attack them in turn. Apparently, he blamed King Thror for bringing the dragon down upon himself and the region. Thranduil's palace was underground, but many other communities of the Greenwood Elves were not. Smaug presumably raided a few of them as well.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 9:28pm

Post #21 of 24 (191 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

When he learned of their survival he expressed reluctance to press an attack for treasure alone.

He didn't leave though. I'm sure he would be reluctant to lose some of his men in a fight for treasure, but he was willing to do it.

Thranduil does imprison the dwarves, but he as good reasons to be suspicious as they would give no account of themselves and he treats them fairly decently.

"Take him away and keep him safe, until he feels inclined to tell the truth, even if he waits a hundred years." Sounds like a cruel punishment to me, but I guess he has the right since it's his land. One could also argue that the trolls weren't villains, just hungry and out looking for food. It's not as if every lion that kills a gazelle is a villain...really just depends on what side you're on.

Since we are following the dwarves, anyone that stands in their way is technically a villain until the situation changes. Thranduil starts out a villain.

Thranduil could not have brought a force to bear against Smaug until well after the dwarves had been driven out of Erebor or eaten

I don't blame him for not fighting Smaug. That would be much too risky.

Yes, he could have shown more sympathy for the survivors, but at least he didn't attack them in turn.

He's obviously not pure evil, just not that caring. “But I expect they will all come to a bad end, and serve them right!” Was it really all the dwarves fault? Did they not deserve some help? I definitely wouldn't call him a good character in this light.

Lio
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 10:28pm

Post #22 of 24 (176 views)
Shortcut
Talking Purse [In reply to] Can't Post

...the real villain of the trilogy, manipulating Smaug, the Trolls, the Necromancer, Azog, Bolg, the Wargs, and the Goblins from behind the scenes! Laugh

On a more serious note, I do wonder how the connections between the various villains will play out. It seems that Smaug is acting independently, but Azog could possibly be connected to the Necromancer via Bolg working at Dol Guldur. (Why?) Will the Necromancer have some connection to the Battle of the Five Armies or will Bolg be acting more or less independently here? Will we see the Goblin-town Goblins again, or will the focus be on Mount Gundabad? And again, will this be connected to events at Dol Guldur?

I'm most curious to see how these elements play out because it seems like they're the ones most changed from the book. As for Smaug, I imagine his role will play out essentially as it does in the book, although I am curious as to how they portray him!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Heatherleawv
Bree

Jan 22 2013, 12:37am

Post #23 of 24 (158 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

definately can't wait to see more of Smaug, but I'm interested in seeing how Azog's story plays out.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 22 2013, 1:37am

Post #24 of 24 (177 views)
Shortcut
Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely, definitely Smaug. And the Necromancer. I'm curious as to what they will do with him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.