Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Will PJ or MF or any of the dwarves attend the Oscars?

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 3:33pm

Post #1 of 6 (567 views)
Shortcut
Will PJ or MF or any of the dwarves attend the Oscars? Can't Post

Granted, none of them have been nominated for anything but some of their team has and as a show of solidarity, I can see at least some putting in an apppearance. The studio would be only too pleased to have the poster boys of their gobal blockbuster in the limelight again, even if it's fleeting. I can't remember who all attended for FOTR when Sir Ian was nominated along with some of the production geniuses. Perhaps PJ and the Kiwi dwarves, maybe Richard Armitage because he's based in NY. Martin a long-shot coming from London?

Also, if someone ftom the Hobbit does win, I wonder what theme from the movie will be played as the winner walks onstage? I keep hearing "Misty Mountains," but by rights it should be Bilbo's music.

I don't normally waste three hours of my life watching the ceremony, but I might if some of our heroes are present.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 6 (240 views)
Shortcut
I think, in some ways... [In reply to] Can't Post

... attending functions like this is work. I think it's written into some contracts that they will appear at press junkets, interviews, and maybe some functions.

I know we think it would be cool as heck and some people who attend probably think it's cool as heck. But for others, it would be time spent away from their families (if they had to fly) where they had to get special clothes and arrange for transportation and sit in a theater seat for hours and look attentive in case the camera caught them.

So, the right personalities might jump at the chance... but other personalities, or those with other commitments might not be so keen.

I think tickets are also at a premium. Every person nominated surely wants a few for friends and family (do they even give tickets for 'friends and family'?). And if the Academy wants people for pure eye candy, I don't think any of the stars of The Hobbit are well known enough to be in that group - except for McKellen and Freeman. Not even my beloved Armitage is *that* well known here at the moment.

Now... next year and the following year, they might be more well known. And I think Cumberbatch might qualify as eye candy (and I'm not talking just 'good looking'... I'm talking being recognizable enough so that one's presences lends cachet to an event) especially after Star Trek comes out.

Music? Misty Mountains for sure. It's the one the public knows. They need people to recognize it in 10 notes or less. And it's dramatic.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2013, 6:41pm

Post #3 of 6 (209 views)
Shortcut
Probably not [In reply to] Can't Post

You have to be invited, so unless you're a nominee, a presenter or a celebrity, it's not possible to attend. The Academy invites some celebrities who aren't actors, like sport stars, but generally the audience is directly involved in the ceremony. Studios get some tickets and there's an allocation for the nominees and their friends/family, but tickets aren't easy to get.

Like Magpie said, attending the awards ceremonies is work for people in the industry and unless the folks involved in the movies have another reason to be in LA, they probably won't make the trip.

In previous years, I remember Peter and Fran spent several weeks in LA, attending the various award ceremonies and meeting with the studios and others involved with the movie. That weeks away from home and the work they should be doing, like finishing the next movie, getting the DVD ready, etc. Since they aren't nominated as much for The Hobbit, it might be hard to justify a trip.

But like you said, someone might attend a show of solidarity, but since the awards are mostly technical, the actors are less likely to attend. More likely is either Peter or Richard Taylor.

glor
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 6:52pm

Post #4 of 6 (234 views)
Shortcut
Tickets are at a premium... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am hoping my memory serves me correctly but I do recall that when FOTR was nominated for more Oscars than AUJ, Dom, Orlando and Billy weren't actually invited to the ceremony as they weren't big enough 'stars' Laugh I think PJ did fight for them to be there in the end.

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 3:40pm

Post #5 of 6 (84 views)
Shortcut
Most of the technical achievements are awarded outside of the main programme, but design, make-up and wardrobe are fair game. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm sure that someone from Warner can be on hand in WETA's or the production crew's stead, as they'd likely be there to schmooze with others in the industry, anyways. ;) With a simple statement about the team being busy with the next film, it will pass easily with attention being paid to the talent on hand, the glitz, glamour, gossip. ;)

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 3:55pm

Post #6 of 6 (110 views)
Shortcut
Though, obviously, having someone there might influence the graces of those in attendance to consider your next film....N/T/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.