Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come with me, into the wild...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 8:42pm

Post #51 of 59 (78 views)
Shortcut
thnderhead [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe the character of 'The Albino' was an inspiration for Azog. Cool

I know I read that somewhere back in the day....LaughLaughLaugh

Go outside and play...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 8:51pm

Post #52 of 59 (79 views)
Shortcut
I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

" Middle-earth is where you find it, and I can find it almost anywhere I go! =) "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 9:37pm

Post #53 of 59 (69 views)
Shortcut
A ferndingle! [In reply to] Can't Post

RighteousSmile I do love ferms, the way they smell, the way they feel as i walk my way though them and of course their gracious lines.

Thanks Ata:)

I wish we had some of those fantails.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 10:29pm

Post #54 of 59 (63 views)
Shortcut
YIKES! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked Geez, that down hill mountain trek sounded crazy....Something i'd do LOL. What happened at the bottom, did you find a fix-it place? Did the emergency brake exist in some working order?

That field of canola plants is pretty, reminds me of sunflowers.

That was a trip to read. Really injoyable. Boy, if the 4 of us sat down we would end up talking for hours. You sparked a host of memories from our trip. Gad, i would not know where to start......{{{lightbulb}}}......How about a map for starters? We have this back hall with swinging, overlapping sheets of paneling holding all kinds of maps, some 30+ years old, like this route map i did for fun when i got back. It were dusty when i swung that open *sneeeZe* Laugh

One thing we missed is riding up Pike's Peak. I missed knowing there was actually a road up thereUnsure.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2013, 10:41pm

Post #55 of 59 (66 views)
Shortcut
you would enjoy all the fixing the transmission on the picnic table stories [In reply to] Can't Post

And we seemed to have plenty of those.

We had to get down the mountain to find what we needed to repair the car. I can't remember if we got it repaired or just bought the parts and repaired it in the parts place parking lot (which we did a lot). And I can't remember what the deal was with the parking brake.

I wish we had kept better journals. We had a US atlas where each page was one state. On the multi-state, multi-month trip, we outlined the route we took in marker. We later got rid of the atlas but I think I ripped out the pages for keeping. I have no idea where they are now.

For a few trips, I would buy postcards in the places we visited and write little notes on the back about out experience there. But really, 95% of our traveling we just traveled and kept no notes other than what photos (or slides) we snapped.

Was the route on that map all one trip?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 12:33am

Post #56 of 59 (58 views)
Shortcut
The red line is. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was clock-wise we went. I had fold out maps that i put folded per the area at the time in the plastic top of the tank bag i used.

Each night at the picnic table (if there was one-usually was) by the fire, little kerosene lantern and flashlight, i would take our Rand Mcnally campground book that had campgrounds per state and 'dotted cross graphs' (access to all possible features of a particular campsite) and i would plot possibles for the next night generally knowing about what i wanted to do the next day.

I always wanted a lake access for a swim and it worked out pretty well most of the time. I preferred the primitive sites too looking for usually state or national parks.

We were self-contained and just preferred the 'luxury' of a picnic table. We used these really short aluminum lawn chairs i brought (that fitted nice around the sissy bar over the multi-pocketed nylon saddle bags used for 'wetables') to sit by the fire at night.

I had an over all general game plan pretty close to what the map shows. I also had an atlas and i would each night take a pen and trace the route we traveled that day. I still got it, somewhere.

Sometimes though we would just take a road for the halibut:) and take a side adventure and around 3PM see wheredaheckwewere on the map and grab the camp book and see what we got near enough.

My Yamaha XS-1100 was a great bike. I had no mechanical problems. I picked times to change oil and tires. I would find a dealer and in the lot take the required wheel off (can't do that with the huge Valkerie i have now- no center stand to start) have them mount and balance a new tire on it, and just put it back on the bike with my tool kit and off we went. I did the rear tire twice and the front once (we traveled 16,000 miles total). We were out for 10 weeks also. Too short.Unsure

I am glad that ray was so handy. He probably just spiced a piece of line in unless it was simple enough to replace the whole thing. Transmissions! Yous gotta be kiddingUnimpressed. MORE aspects of adventureLaugh

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 3:13am

Post #57 of 59 (44 views)
Shortcut
Wow! So many beautiful pictures of such breathtaking places! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2013, 3:11pm

Post #58 of 59 (53 views)
Shortcut
GORGEOUS! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm very late... but here are a few links to past posts about my favourite local haunt and some visits there :) I've got to do one of my 2 other fav places. I think you and I have a lot in common, Starling ;)

Quest to Pentwater
Michigan map of Pentwater
Here's a bunch o' pics.

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 8:34pm

Post #59 of 59 (66 views)
Shortcut
Into the wild indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Gramma. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.