Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If Radagast were re-thought and re-written AUJ would be a much better movie...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 1:40am

Post #76 of 89 (119 views)
Shortcut
The Music... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Extended version of "Radagast the Brown" is lovely, isn't it? I'm hoping more of the theme will be used in the next 2 movies. I even have part of it as my ringtone :)

Can I sit with you and Bomby? Blush

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 1:54am

Post #77 of 89 (125 views)
Shortcut
Loved his character [In reply to] Can't Post

Thougt it was done beautifully. I don't understand why so many people freak out over humor and lightheartedness. Loosen up!

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 21 2013, 1:55am

Post #78 of 89 (115 views)
Shortcut
oh absolutely! *makes room for AtG* [In reply to] Can't Post

*dials Aragalen the Green's number and listens rapturously to ringtone* Sly

That's such a great idea! Did you create the ringtone from an excerpt of the soundtrack yourself? Or is it available for download somewhere?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 2:03am

Post #79 of 89 (113 views)
Shortcut
My ringtone [In reply to] Can't Post

When I bought my tickets online from Fandango for my first viewing I got $2.00 credit from Amazon for music downloads. I chose "Blunt the Knives" and the extended "Radagast the Brown". Then I used a website called myxer to create a free ringtone from my downloaded music--it only lets you use about 30 seconds of the music--and then sent it to my phone. So not available for download otherwise that I know of, unless someone else has done so.

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 21 2013, 2:04am

Post #80 of 89 (120 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much for the info! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to go check out Amazon right now! Thanks for the instructions :-).

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 3:43am

Post #81 of 89 (121 views)
Shortcut
Well, there is old smouldering eyed Thorin and his saucy nephews. Lol. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear the ladies like them. And for those who really like a bad boy/tough guy. . . well, there is Azog. Anyway, I think there is plenty to draw males and females, as many are general fans of this type of film. A great romance like Arwen's and Aragorn's is deeply moving, but if that were the main thing a particular female were looking for in a movie, she would just wait around for the 50 Shades of Gray adaptation (a far less powerful tale than that of those descendants of Beren and Luthien, but all the same, lol).

In Reply To
They put a lot of design phases into his look, and I agree, it was great. This wasn't a case of write it once and forget it. Writing for performers goes through many iterations.

Also, it's dangerous to generalize, but with the absence of romance in the book, whimsy is all that's left to draw in enough female ticket holders.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 3:50am

Post #82 of 89 (110 views)
Shortcut
I generally agree. I really could have done without the bird crap, and I think the eye crossing [In reply to] Can't Post

diminished some moments that would have been really strong for him without it. The stick insect was superflous also. That mentioned, I was otherwise quite pleased. I went in with concerns that he would be portrayed as a complete buffon, but instead he was a compassionate eccentric who was also a bit of a bad ass. Those spiders CLEARLY were not trying to hang around to test him! And anyone who puts his staff squarely up the Witch-King's backside cannot be taken lightly. lol

I also think his scene in the forest and his home added greatly to the proper fairytale feel, without ever going over the top.

In Reply To
I find his eccentricity and scatterbrains fitting for a hermit who spends almost all of his time with animals. He has taken on some animal characteristics - excitability and a touch of panic when his little world is threatened. That makes him fun and funny and contributes to the film's lightheartedness.

Yes the bird poop (and the snot for that matter) are gross to us. We live in a very sanitized world and are all just a bit too squeamish. Kids were laughing. Seems appropriate for a hermit living in a tree house among birds.

I saw Sebastian as a vehicle to demonstrate Radagast's quite significant power. He drew the evil darkness out of Sebastian with the stone in his staff and sent the spiders packing. He then fought of the Ringwraith pretty easily and showed tremendous courage and pride in his bunnies by drawing off the wargs. Didn't seem buffoonish during those scenes.

I happened to love those giant Rhosgobel Rabbits and the sled. And all the creepy crawlies finding refuge up Radagast's robes (and mouth). And the smoke coming out of his ears. There is plenty of dignity and mythic grandeur elsewhere in Middle Earth - why not a little absurdity. Fun!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 4:01am

Post #83 of 89 (105 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say so. He picks up on the nature of [In reply to] Can't Post

the pestilence in his forest quickly enough.. . he heals the Hedgehog and frightens off the giant spiders simultaneously. He dares to enter Dol Guldur, wins a brief duel with The Witch-King of Angmar, and takes the weapon of his foe back as warning.

So, I would say rather that parts of both Saruman's and Gandalf's assesments are made accurate by the movie.

In Reply To

It just seems like they took every little description of him and ran with it for cheap laughs which ultimately stumps his characterization meaning he becomes the figure of ridicule that saruman talks about rather than the eccentric but still powerful wizard that gandalf mentions.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 12:40pm

Post #84 of 89 (99 views)
Shortcut
You've misread or misconstrued my original post [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't understand why so many people freak out over humor and lightheartedness. Loosen up!

We don't freak out over humour per se, just infantile, nonsensical attempts at it that demean the character.

That's all Wink

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 4:08pm

Post #85 of 89 (81 views)
Shortcut
Too many post lawyers // [In reply to] Can't Post

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 4:14pm

Post #86 of 89 (71 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

It took me a while to catch-on to who was male and who female for those of you with androgenous names.

BTW - Thanks for all your work on the music of LOTR. Heart

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 4:47pm

Post #87 of 89 (68 views)
Shortcut
Cute// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jan 21 2013, 6:14pm

Post #88 of 89 (75 views)
Shortcut
Call him RadaJar or JarGast [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson's more juvenile side overwhelms the knowledge of Radagast as an Istari and does not respect it. Were the Istari real, the portrayal would be insulting to all, including Radagast. Jackson's Radagast was an extreme mischaracterization for the laugh. Radagast was a Three Stooges act, crossing eyes and blowing smoke out his ears. My thought during this and the rabbit chase was "Just how juvenile can Peter Jackson get?" It felt mean to laugh at him, like laughing at a sad, tragic clown forced to wear the paint. Like the feeling you get when you laugh at someone only to realize with some guilt that you are laughing at their misfortune and at their expense. I'm not going to try to rationalize what was done to Radagast. It's Jackson at his worst. It wasn't funny for me, but as I have said, I did enjoy the movie - Radagast notwithstanding.

I would like to have seen Radagast in a way that is just as respectful of the Istari as Gandalf. He should have been someone like Jane Goodall, intellectually devoted to an area of interest. But in Radagast's case the interest is nature. He is unconcerned with other matters except where they intrude on his small world. He should be also like Tom Bombadil - powerful, smart and comfortable with his own small area. Radagast would have been much better played as a dedicated, single-minded wizard with a keen intellect and self-purpose who will NOT be distracted from his own interests. Instead, he is a daft drug addict from Alice In Wonderland who is happy to wear excrement and is entirely distractible with diminished mental faculties. Really? An Istari? He should have been less Sylvester McCoy, who enjoys playing the fool, and more Russell Crowe who can bring a single-minded, powerful presence to a role.

Jackson did a Lucas here. I wanted to see another Istari as a peer of Saruman and Gandalf. So I feel sad for Radagast who has been demoted from Istari to clown.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 7:59pm

Post #89 of 89 (155 views)
Shortcut
Demoted, indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Jackson's more juvenile side overwhelms the knowledge of Radagast as an Istari and does not respect it...Jackson's Radagast was an extreme mischaracterization for the laugh...It's Jackson at his worst. It wasn't funny for me...

I would like to have seen Radagast in a way that is just as respectful of the Istari as Gandalf...He should be also like Tom Bombadil - powerful, smart and comfortable with his own small area. Radagast would have been much better played as a dedicated, single-minded wizard with a keen intellect and self-purpose...I wanted to see another Istari as a peer of Saruman and Gandalf. So I feel sad for Radagast who has been demoted from Istari to clown.

Whilst I think some of the more laboured comparisons elsewhere between Radagast and Binks are a little tiresome, I think you're right here; the portrayal did demote him. A Radagast more like the one you describe here (whilst still eccentric enough to be endearing) would have been infinitely more suiting.

Oh well Unsure Here's hoping DoS and TaBA see him "promoted"!

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.