Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What's everyone's favorite scene?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Jan 19 2013, 12:50am

Post #51 of 71 (258 views)
Shortcut
It was the first scene that came to my mind too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf and Galadriel too, and Bilbo telling Thorin why he came back. Love Bilbo's arc.

(This post was edited by lyndomiel on Jan 19 2013, 12:57am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 19 2013, 12:51am

Post #52 of 71 (275 views)
Shortcut
Far Misty Mountains Cold song, Gandalf blowing all of the sin out of Goblin Town, [In reply to] Can't Post

SOME elements of the "Gandalf and Galadriel scene," the entire Erebor sequence, almost all of The Unexpected Party, and Balin's telling of the Moria battle EXCEPT for all the crap that didn't actually happen there Frown lol.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 19 2013, 12:57am

Post #53 of 71 (283 views)
Shortcut
YES! This is suprisingly almost up there with Erebor/Unexpected Party and Gandalf blowing away a portion of Goblintown. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved this. "You were born to the rolling hills of The Shire.. . but Home is now behind you. . . " right out of one of my favourite songs in the novles. I loved everything from there right through the first part of the Radagast introduction. "He is a gentle soul, who prefers the company of animals. . . he watches over the forests to the East. And a good thing too. . ."

In Reply To
Those are some of the very best scenes. Another scene that is one of my very favorites is Gandalf and Galadriel's scene after the dwarves leave Rivendell. Gandalf's dialogue about the small things is wonderful, and Galadriel's response in so motherly and wonderful. The music in that part is great too! A mix between the beginning of the "Breaking of the Fellowship" song and the Frodo and Sam music made that part perfect! Smile

One other thing: Middle-earth (or New Zealand) in all of it's glory with the Misty Mountains theme playing as the dwarves travel Wilderland in not one but two epic scenes! When Gandalf says "Home is now behind you, the world is ahead" and when their actually trekking "Over the Misty Mountains" themselves with the music was just awesome.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 4:44am

Post #54 of 71 (226 views)
Shortcut
this is possibly my favorite scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bilbo's scene with Bofur was key to Bilbo's arc. He begins to realize his sympathy for the Dwarves for not having a home, except the home that was stolen from them. May not have been in the book, but the scene brilliant in its pathos - Bofur's expression was heart-breaking - and both actors turned in beautiful, nuanced performances.

Not sure why... except I love these two, and it is a fine example of two terrific character actors at work.

Also, Bofur has been mostly comedic up to that point, and there is something about the subtle shift of his face in this that makes me want to hug him and say, "it's gonna be OK, you survive..."

ack... fangirly... ack... why is the guy with the Pippi Longstocking braids so darn attractive???

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 5:51am

Post #55 of 71 (239 views)
Shortcut
OK, The List... [In reply to] Can't Post

for pure emotion:

The meeting between Balin and Dwalin on the battlefield. It blew away completely my stereotyped notions of Stoic Dwarven Warriors. I just love those two.

The scene between Bilbo and Bofur right before they get sucked into the Goblin Caves. I note, in the Hobbit Chronicles book (film design), that a number of Dwarf designs ended up being "less is more", less beard, less latex... here's where you see why, you get those beautiful subtle expressions from James Nesbitt (and Martin Freeman is already a genius).

The Over Misty Mountains Cold song. Please please please do all 27 verses for the extended version.... Richard Armitage has, officially, the sexiest voice on the planet.

Eagles. Eagles. Eagles. I think one of the best bits of CG ever. (I worked with birds of prey, and these looked awesome). I love the way they swooped in and nabbed things with their talons; very predatory when they grabbed wargs. Still awesomely powerful when grabbing Dwarves, still felt like a Force of Nature.

Yeah, that hug. And Thorin's face as he looks to the Mountain.

For fun:

The entire Dwarves Crash Bilbo's Party Palace scene. We are introduced to each character neatly, they fulfill the "Messenger" part of The Hero Journey, they deflate Bilbo's fussy Comfort Zone. It's hilarious. I love "chip the dishes and crack the plates". I'm inviting all of them over... Fili walking on the table.... Laugh

"Think, furnace, with wings." Someone did a set of memes that took off from that, and I followed suit... Klingons, think Dwarves with warp drive... Tiger; think kitten you pet from the inside...

Radagast's Rhosgobel Racing Rabbit Ride. I mush a few huskies now and again (I blogged about the bunnysled elsewhere here) and thought this was hilarious, and well thought out, mostly (there was only one moment where I felt the CG might have been better). Also: bird poop, bird nests, and Raddy in general. I grin every time I see the beginning of the bunnysled scenes. I love him running to catch up with his sled as the rabbits start without him (sooooooooo true! Been there, done that!).

Kili's thousand mile stare when Bilbo asks what's up (missing ponies, trolls). Kili in general. He could have been just another pretty face... but nooooo, he's hilarious! (And wiping his boots on the glory box, and spinning his sword and yelling, ferociously "DROP HIM!").

Fili's Dwarfy jolly stride and grin as he comes into Bag End. Perfect.

"That will be the door..."

Anything Martin Freeman does with his face.

Pocket handkerchief (here, use this!).

Troll snot. Bilbo's reaction to troll butt. Parasites the size of my arms. My inner 12 year old is howling.

The awful knowledge that the confrontation between Bilbo and Smaug will be a Sherlock and Watson moment... please don't let me laugh, please don't let me laugh...

The entire running battle through the goblin caves (DVD, slow mo, can't wait)... wait, who's doing what, wait, did Dwalin just create a battering ram out of a railing, who's that with the spinning polearm? Kili catching orc arrows, Bombur infested with goblins, the Indiana Jones moment (big rolling rock), what, who... CRASH! "That could have been worse..."

Andy Serkis; there is only one.

Majestic:

Thorin. Anything he does. Especially if it involves burning trees.

Backstory Pose. I shall have to practice mine.

New Zealand. All of it. Even the green screen bits.

Eagles.

Elrond's horse.

Galadriel and the Corkscrew Turn.

Gandalf. Sir Ian McKellan.

In a class by itself: Riddles in the Dark.

I see why it isn't as dark as the book suggests. We would lose not only the great CG work here, but the terrific acting of Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis.

Go outside and play...

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Jan 19 2013, 7:43am

Post #56 of 71 (206 views)
Shortcut
Once I start doing smth [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hate not finishing it up; no matter how disgraceful and horrible that thing is. And The Hobbit certainly was these things and many more.

Vangalad
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 9:28pm

Post #57 of 71 (182 views)
Shortcut
If there had to be just one choice [In reply to] Can't Post

...then - through hard competition- it would be the 'Mercy of Bilbo' scene for me.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Neaniver

Jan 19 2013, 11:39pm

Post #58 of 71 (159 views)
Shortcut
The Trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my favorite scene was the trolls, because it was quite funny how they made them talk like "wiv a spwinkle of sayge" and "are there any more of you little fellas 'iding where you shouldnT?" and also the battle scene, I found this all very close to the book.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 12:38am

Post #59 of 71 (168 views)
Shortcut
Gollum and Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. That's the one.

julia0925
The Shire

Jan 21 2013, 8:47pm

Post #60 of 71 (146 views)
Shortcut
An obscure moment [In reply to] Can't Post

Realizing the entire movie will probably be referred to here at some point, I'm going to pick something no one's mentioned as of yet.

When Kili and Fili are separated during the thunder battle. The look on Kili's face, i still can't describe it. Horror? Gets me every time, though.

Or maybe the look on Kili's face when Thorin is picked up by the eagle.

Or how about when Fili and Kili are teasing Bilbo about orcs?

Ok, I really have to stop now or I'll be the one listing the entire movie.

-----
Lotr: You know it's been a bad day when even the elf is smudged.
TH: when the going gets tough, the tough call the eagles.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 9:00pm

Post #61 of 71 (128 views)
Shortcut
I take it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you like Fili and Kili? ;) lol

I really enjoyed the way the three of them interacted with each other, it really felt like a family dynamic.

elostirion74
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 9:06pm

Post #62 of 71 (141 views)
Shortcut
hmm, I think Iīll divide the favourite scenes into sub-categories [In reply to] Can't Post

There are far too many favourites to choose just one.

In terms of comedy: Bilboīs encounter with the trolls, loved both the lines and Freemanīs timing and expressions. Radagastīs bunny sled chase wasnīt far behind, though.

In terms of pure visual beauty: The Eagles soaring through the skies with the dwarves.

In terms of enchantment:
The singing of "Far over Misty Mountains cold", loved the lighting, the mood of the song, the shots of the fireplace and how the scene ends by passing up the chimney into the starry night sky.

In terms of characterization:
Extremely difficult to choose. You have Bilbo pitying Gollum and Bilboīs talk with Bofur, which are strong and emotional scenes, but in the end for me I think itīs a tie between Bilbo greeting Balin at the door of Bag End and Bilbo sitting and watching Dwalin eat his dinner.

Thereīs something about the simplicity of Bilboīs pleasantry about the fine evening and Balin taking it more literally, and I love how Balin is framed, the impression you get of him from his body language and face.

When you see Bilbo looking at Dwalin eating his dinner, you can sense the culture crash between these two characters and Bilboīs uneasiness about not knowing how to cope with the intrusion of this weird stranger. Itīs understated and at the same time extremely effective.

julia0925
The Shire

Jan 21 2013, 9:37pm

Post #63 of 71 (109 views)
Shortcut
What was your first clue? [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading the books I never thought much about the Dwarves, but now they have really come to life for me, as individuals. As my mother would say, they're "all boy". So much fun to watch.

-----
Lotr: You know it's been a bad day when even the elf is smudged.
TH: when the going gets tough, the tough call the eagles.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 9:47pm

Post #64 of 71 (127 views)
Shortcut
I sense a theme here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili's cheerful "You must be Mr. Boggins!".

Fili's little smirk as he swaggers into Bag End.

Fili starting (and Kili picking right up) the plate-tossing scene. Smile

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 10:55pm

Post #65 of 71 (139 views)
Shortcut
A little something I really enjoy [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a little background scene that I've come to enjoy. In the foreground, Gandalf is trying to talk Bilbo into going on the adventure. In the room behind them, you see Ori sitting and writing in his journal. With him are Gloin and Oin, and from the looks of it, are quietly conversing with him. I think Oin even pats him on the knee at one point. But the impression to me is that Gloin and Oin are thinking of Gimli, who's probably close to Ori in age, and therefore have a sense of home by talking with him.

*chuckles*, I'd love to be able to walk around Bag End and see what everyone is up to. ^_^

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 10:57pm

Post #66 of 71 (113 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! I'll have to pay attention next time :D

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 11:12pm

Post #67 of 71 (116 views)
Shortcut
*sheepish grin* [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to notice anything that involves Ori or Dori.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 11:15pm

Post #68 of 71 (108 views)
Shortcut
I'm the same way... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with Thorin in this movie ;)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 22 2013, 4:05am

Post #69 of 71 (109 views)
Shortcut
You mean there are others besides Thorin in this movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...with Thorin in this movie ;)

TongueEvilWink

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 2:30am

Post #70 of 71 (55 views)
Shortcut
Sorry if I'm posting this wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

Pick just ONE scene?!?!?! I'm pretty certain that's impossible!Wink

I loved the whole opening scene at Bag End!
The introduction of the Dwarves was AWESOME!
"Far Over The Misty Mountains Cold" was incredible!
I loved the Riddles in the Dark scene!
I was thrilled with the flash-backs!
It was great to see Rivendell and familiar faces(not that the new ones were unwelcome!)!
"Blunt the Knives" scene was very funny!Smile

In short, there are just too many AWESOME scenes to pick just ONE as my favorite!Sly

(This post was edited by Cuwen Maegmacil on Jan 24 2013, 2:36am)

patrickk
Rohan

Feb 1 2013, 9:58pm

Post #71 of 71 (82 views)
Shortcut
Well I think the worst of it is behind us [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo looking out with that line; just love it. Rather sweet naivity

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.