Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Elves and alcohol

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 17 2013, 9:23pm

Post #1 of 18 (803 views)
Shortcut
Elves and alcohol Can't Post

In the book, Bilbo manage to steal the keys because the elves are drunk.

But in the extended edition, RotK I think, there is a drinking contest between Gimli and Legolas, and Legolas do not seem to be affected by alcohol at all.

Discrepancy ?

Macfeast
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 9:29pm

Post #2 of 18 (459 views)
Shortcut
"Dorwinion wine, stronger than anything else in Middle-earth". [In reply to] Can't Post

One line, problem solved. It is actually suggested in the book that this wine is particularly potent, being able to make an elf drowsy.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jan 17 2013, 9:34pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 9:31pm

Post #3 of 18 (411 views)
Shortcut
Cheers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

tupps

Jan 17 2013, 9:32pm

Post #4 of 18 (442 views)
Shortcut
Seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the same thought the other day! I'm guessing PJ will do one of two things: forget the whole thing happened, or say "elf wine" and pretend it's special and just call it good.

Or have some needlessly cinematic escape instead.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 9:37pm

Post #5 of 18 (381 views)
Shortcut
I think you have it right [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had the same thought the other day! I'm guessing PJ will do one of two things: forget the whole thing happened, or say "elf wine" and pretend it's special and just call it good.

Or have some needlessly cinematic escape instead.

While I like your first idea, just for levity's sake, I bet that it will be something more along the latter. Especially given what we have seen in the vlogs of the barrel sequence, it looks to be action oriented.

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 17 2013, 9:40pm

Post #6 of 18 (416 views)
Shortcut
The whole concept of "elves can't get drunk" comes from this scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It specifies that how it's usually nigh-impossible to get a wood elf drunk, which undoubtedly was what inspired PJ to create the drinking contest to his LotR to begin with, but this particular wine happens to be especially strong and drunk from unusually large tankards. PJ will probably throw in a subtle reference to his earlier scene concerning elves and drunkenness as a joke for those who remember the original trilogy.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2013, 11:20pm

Post #7 of 18 (319 views)
Shortcut
How could you guys miss this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves like beer
Elves like wine?

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Jan 17 2013, 11:22pm

Post #8 of 18 (290 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Bilbo will try some when he is scavenging for food and pass out? :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 17 2013, 11:24pm

Post #9 of 18 (299 views)
Shortcut
Better yet, a dwarf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see one of the dwarves taking a sip of liquid courage before sealing himself in a barrel and dropping like a stone. That would be pretty typical PJ-brand humour.

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Jan 17 2013, 11:25pm

Post #10 of 18 (279 views)
Shortcut
Too easy to predict! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Al Carondas
The Shire

Jan 18 2013, 12:15am

Post #11 of 18 (288 views)
Shortcut
"It must be potent wine to make a wood-elf drowsy" [In reply to] Can't Post

writes Tolkien. But I wouldn't say that is "nigh impossible", Lightice. I think that PJ has inadvertently set a snare for himself with the humorous scene from RoTK. Good call, Radagast's Lead Bunny. It will be fun to see how he works out a rectification (And don't just cop out and ignore it now, PJ!)

But then again, we really don't know how much ale Legolas consumed in his contest with Gimli before he started to feel a tingle. Maybe it was only his second tankard and the son of Gloin is just really a lightweight Laugh. Or Maybe Legolas was cheating and only drinking apple cider.

"Good Morning!"

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 12:43am

Post #12 of 18 (264 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but it's an English story, so it would have to be hard cider! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Or Maybe Legolas was cheating and only drinking apple cider.

Only us wimps in the states keep our apple cider non-alcoholic.Laugh

Rane
Bree

Jan 18 2013, 1:08am

Post #13 of 18 (248 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't it mead? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, mead is just below wine but above beer on the alcohol by volume chart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_by_volume

(Yeah, I know about wiki not being reliable but if anyone else has a source be my guest)

Photobucket

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 2:23am

Post #14 of 18 (223 views)
Shortcut
It's comical exaggeration at work [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
writes Tolkien. But I wouldn't say that is "nigh impossible", Lightice.

And PJ isn't the first one to come up with that trope. Lightweight elves downing impossible amounts of liquor are practically a staple of fantasy RPGs and less than serious novels.

But then again, we really don't know how much ale Legolas consumed in his contest with Gimli before he started to feel a tingle.

That would go against the rules of the contest, which stated that each participant drinks a tankard for tankard.

In Reply To
Or Maybe Legolas was cheating and only drinking apple cider.

I'll have you know that hard ciders are stronger than any common ale and notorious for getting you dead drunk way sooner than the taste would indicate. The word, like the recipe, "cider" has been seriously diluted these days...

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 3:31am

Post #15 of 18 (225 views)
Shortcut
My guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that in the movie, Bilbo will slip some sleeping potion into the wine. Worse is that it is going to be Tauriel or Legolas who gave it to him in the first place...

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 11:21am

Post #16 of 18 (163 views)
Shortcut
My understanding [In reply to] Can't Post

from what I've seen online is that Tauriel is going to be the Captain of the Guard - so I'm assuming that means she's going to be a gender-bended version of the book's unnamed Captain. Unless they really change things around quite a bit, that means she's going to be the one who goes on a bender with her buddy, the Elvenking's Butler, and has the keys lifted off her by Bilbo. She'll also probably be somewhat friendly with the Company, as Bilbo felt a bit guilty about getting the Captain in trouble as he had treated the Dwarves decently in their captivity. Again, it remains to be seen how much these events will veer from what happened in the book and I'm working on the perhaps wrong assumption that her storyline will follow that of the book's Captain.

As for Legolas helping them out, that might be a bit inconsistent with his gradual warming to Gimli in LOTR. It makes sense that he would have been there at the time, but harder to tell what his role might be in these films.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 3:21pm

Post #17 of 18 (134 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'm hoping for the "needlessly cinematic escape" for 2 reasons. [In reply to] Can't Post

1- continiity, which should win over anything.
2- the scene in ther book is cliche' and riduculous. It would work for a 2 year old child; I forsee a great use of the character Tauriel in this.

So, I'm damn sure that scene will be radically different from the book.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 3:49pm

Post #18 of 18 (145 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for Legolas helping them out, that might be a bit inconsistent with his gradual warming to Gimli in LOTR. It makes sense that he would have been there at the time, but harder to tell what his role might be in these films.

I hope Legolas has a very small part and I hope he never actually meets Gloin! (Or things can be very awkward when he sees Gimli later)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.