The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Gloin and Elrond

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 17 2013, 8:51pm

Post #1 of 7 (806 views)
Shortcut
Gloin and Elrond Can't Post

When the dwarfs arrive in Imladris, it's Gloin who speak to Elrond while Thorin keeps silence. Why ?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2013, 9:03pm

Post #2 of 7 (448 views)
Shortcut
Not at first [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond and Thorin have a brief exchange, in which Elrond welcomes Thorin by name, and Thorin is ungracious. My own take was that Thorin was initially (before Elrond dismounted and spoke to him) suspicious/alarmed enough by Elrond's warlike entry to want his company ready to fight, but that once Elrond dismounted, passed his weapons on to an Elf and welcomed Thorin, Thorin was no longer worried about this, just still resentful that Gandalf was making him visit with any Elves at all, and (worse) +seek Elrond's assistance with the map.

Elrond then invites the party to dine in Elvish (apparently, based on Gandalf's translation), and Gloin immediately takes offense. I did not find it odd that Thorin did not. While Thorin was originally seeming to escalate the situation (shouting commands I could not make out, possibly in Dwarvish, as the riders came in), I would gather that once Elrond addressed him he determined it would not be necessary to fight. And since it was Gloin (and others following his lead) who took offense at Elrond's remark, it made sense that it was Gloin that accepted Gandalf's reassurance that no insult occured.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 17 2013, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 7 (397 views)
Shortcut
I think Thorin is in super-wary mode [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of the whole map/key business.

Like Gimli, Gloin is rather outspoken. Also like the Gimli of FOTR, he has no love of Elves and is certainly not worried about revealing that fact. To be honest Elrond wasn't being very helpful when he spoke Elvish after his short exchange with Thorin...the Dwarves probably thought he was uttering some sort of magical curse directed at them (and not a bad guess given the tone of his voice).

Gloin was another Dwarf who deserved more screen time. Hopefully we'll see him fleshed out later if he still has the scene with the picture of his wife and son (in Mirkwood I believe).

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jan 17 2013, 9:09pm)

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 2:25am

Post #4 of 7 (255 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin yells "Close ranks!" as Elrond and company ride in. And that's certainly what the Dwarves all do as soon as Thorin hollers.

Even with your reasonable explanation, I still find it a little odd that Thorin would let Gloin (or anyone else) make a decision for the company right there. I don't think he lets that happen at any other point.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 4:47am

Post #5 of 7 (206 views)
Shortcut
decisions, decisions... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin yells "Close ranks!" as Elrond and company ride in. And that's certainly what the Dwarves all do as soon as Thorin hollers.

Even with your reasonable explanation, I still find it a little odd that Thorin would let Gloin (or anyone else) make a decision for the company right there. I don't think he lets that happen at any other point.

There is the moment when they have escaped the orcs on wargs by sliding into the crack that leads to Rivendell... Dwalin is at the back of the ravine shouting soething like, "Do we follow it or no?"

It is Bofur who shouts back, "Follow it of course!"

Gandalf concurs, "That would be wise."

Thorin gives no orders here. Although it is Dwalin (Thorin's trusted sidekick) who begins this, it is one of the least experienced, Bofur, who makes a decision.

Go outside and play...

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 9:25am

Post #6 of 7 (166 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, yes, I was forgetting that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I originally thought Thorin's silence was out of character there too, but now that I think about it, I think it's okay. I think Thorin knew exactly where this path was leading (he and Gandalf, after all, had been discussing the Elves out of earshot of the rest of the company, and had just had the "Where are you leading us?" exchange during the Warg chase) -- and Thorin come Mordor or high water could not bring himself to condone following the path into the land of, as he feels, the enemy. He's going along with Gandalf's plan (resentfully) but only because he has no other viable choice -- but stubbornly he's not going to actually admit they should follow the path.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 7:49pm

Post #7 of 7 (110 views)
Shortcut
ahh, that explains it! [In reply to] Can't Post

... nifty insight there, Of course, Thorin is being Dwarvishly stubborn.

Go outside and play...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.