Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Can we have a new forum for people to post all the things they hate about The Hobbit movies?

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 7:58pm

Post #1 of 14 (471 views)
Shortcut
Can we have a new forum for people to post all the things they hate about The Hobbit movies? Can't Post

It feels like half the threads in AUJ are getting drowned in people complaining about things that may or may not be related to the original post. And that's not counting all the threads that are started specifically to discuss something the poster disliked, often something that has been discussed again and again.

Ya know, it's ok not to like the movie, or not to like certain aspects of it. But the constant beating of dead horses and lack of civility in the discussion seems to be making The Hobbit forum pretty tiresome. Also seems to be driving some people away. So maybe if we had a separate forum for complaining about the movie, the regular one might be improved? Probably not, but ah well. Had to vent.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 17 2013, 8:36pm

Post #2 of 14 (235 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree with you more [In reply to] Can't Post

If I got a penny for each negative post I've seen about, say, Radagast, or Azog for that matter, then I'd currently be writing this post from my holiday home in Bermuda. Laugh

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2013, 9:02pm

Post #3 of 14 (274 views)
Shortcut
All viewpoints are welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

if they are put across with civility and thought. I would encourage everyone to read the sticky thread on courtesy on the hobbit board.

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 12:12am

Post #4 of 14 (248 views)
Shortcut
I daresay some people have stayed away from THE HOBBIT forum for the opposite reason. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because they don't like the film and expect to get piled on for saying so. When the LOTR films were fresh, the same sort of contradictory perceptions were common: some people felt that there were too many complaints about the movies' flaws, while other felt that any dissent from the Jackson-praise was quickly and roundly attacked.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 3:06am

Post #5 of 14 (216 views)
Shortcut
Deja-vu all over again. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe we should revive the drinking game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2013, 3:50am

Post #6 of 14 (203 views)
Shortcut
The more things change... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the more they stay the same. LaughWink

A certain degree of disagreement and defensiveness was a given from day one. People who weren't 100% impressed with AUJ get aggravated with 'favorite this-and-that' threads just as people who loved the movie despair that every thread is negative when one person starts one 'what could have been better' thread.

However, from many, many (many) years of experience with these kinds of things, I think the Hobbit board participants are currently getting along quite well. There's the odd head-butting here and there, but the vast majority of posts and replies are civil and respectful of others' opinions and/or 'like' minded people tend to gravitate together. That shouldn't aggravate or dishearten anyone.

Conversely, when someone repeatedly posts comments that are only meant to cause dissention, no matter how many 'fake' winky, smiley icons are used, that's just poor sportsmanship bordering on spamming and trolling. It get tiresome and, when done enough times, is against the Terms of Service; specifically the two items in the sticky at the top of the Hobbit board: 7. Do not stalk your opposite and 8. Do not try to "compensate" for other peoples' opinions.

Luckily, those types of posts are in the minority. As I said, based on past experience, those who currently frequent the Hobbit board are uncommonly well-behaved and courteous towards each other. Pretty typical of TORn members overall, I'd say. We're an uncommonly civilized and friendly buch. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 4:44am

Post #7 of 14 (244 views)
Shortcut
*sneaks up and pulls [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira's pony-tail and runs*

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 3:17pm

Post #8 of 14 (215 views)
Shortcut
I don't really have any problem with criticism... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the tone. The anger directed against Howard Shore and Peter Jackson. It's not that someone disagrees with a decision they made or doesn't like how something turned out, it's that they're lazy and have no respect for fans. Everything someone doesn't like is a travesty. At least it starts to feel that way.

I mean, Doug Adams had to shut his site down it seems and knowledgable people here are staying out of the discussion. On some topics, you can't really have a proper discussion.

All I can say is that The Hobbit board seems to have changed massively since the release of the movie. And not for the better, in my opinion.

I mean, other than on soundtrack matters and all things Radagast, I quite frankly agree with many of the criticisms being leveled. I would have preferred a version of the story sticking much closer to Tolkien's mythology, as much as it scares me to sound like a purist. But the way in which these arguments are presented completely turns me off.

But, I'm just one person. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 7:14pm

Post #9 of 14 (184 views)
Shortcut
I've been scarce there lately [In reply to] Can't Post

for the exact opposite reason. It's no secret that I didn't like the film. And I've found that that seems to rile people up a lot. I've basically gotten tired of defending my opinion from people who just don't want to hear it.

Oh well. Maybe it'll mellow out in the next few months.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 7:54pm

Post #10 of 14 (166 views)
Shortcut
I've never had a problem with your posts. [In reply to] Can't Post

You express your disappointment with the movies without constantly yelling about one or two issues and declaring that PJ is the greatest evil in the world, or what not.

On the other hand, I imagine if I was completely disappointed in the movies, I'd have no desire at all to look at The Hobbit forum. I've found the Dark Knight trilogy to be pretty meh, but that's why I'm not going around visiting a Dark Knight fansite.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 8:09pm

Post #11 of 14 (237 views)
Shortcut
For myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am still here because I was here long before the movie came out, and to leave simply because I didn't enjoy the film would be ridiculous, IMO. There are still two more films after all, and it's possible I may love one or both of them. And there are still aspects of AUJ that I enjoy - the early Shire scenes being #1.

One of the greatest parts of being on this forum in the past years has been all the fun speculation and the posters I've gotten to know because of it. It's been a fun ride even if all the anticipation led to a dud of a climax for me.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

imin
Valinor

Jan 19 2013, 12:04pm

Post #12 of 14 (178 views)
Shortcut
The speculation was the best part for me to [In reply to] Can't Post

I really feel that was the best thing - when no one knew anything other than what a few photos would show and everyone was trying to come up with some plan, was great.

I dont mind it too much now though, i dont think anyone is saying they hate PJ, thats a massive over reaction. Some are critical of some of his decisions but that's about it.

if anything the boards have improved in tone since the film and the level of 'negativity' was greater back then when people were worried the movie was going in the wrong direction. Also those people who are not on the board, were not on the board during the speculation before the movie was released, so nothing has changed in that respect either.

Its like the admin have said - some people loved it and so it is annoying to see people say bad things about something you like and vice versa if you dont like it then it can be frustrating for them when others dont see how it could have been better/such and such scene was bad.

Go on any board about films and you will find people of opposing views - ultimately it says forged by and for fans of JRR Tolkien, who are a very varied group of people of all ages and different life experiences and so approach the novel and the films in (sometimes) polar opposite ways.

just think if everyone agreed, the threads would be dull even now, just two months after release - variety is the spice of life!

Oh and in time (probably the time that DOS is released) people will be saying this film was great and why couldnt DOS be like that, lol.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 20 2013, 6:59pm

Post #13 of 14 (166 views)
Shortcut
Beating a dead horse and forcing your reality [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care if someone disliked the film when I did. Its cool that's their right to feel that way. My issue is when someone who didn't like it, feels it flopped at the BO, etc try to force those my way (either directed at me or how I feel) about The Hobbit. I don't do that to you and wouldn't do that to you so please be respectful when typing out your opinion to not tell me I'm wrong for feeling the way I feel. Especially when I try to do the same.

PS: I will say it does get really old really fast when they repeat the same stance over and over.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Jan 20 2013, 7:00pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 2:56am

Post #14 of 14 (293 views)
Shortcut
The trouble with such a forum [In reply to] Can't Post

is that communal expression have a catch 22. One wants to express themselves forthrightly from the heart but in the end it may act to disturb others that do the same, and visa versa.

I take it as fact that we all are 'wired' perceptually different. Each of us is an expression of perception and these different 'wirings' have difficulty finding a central 'platform' many times on which to share 'realities'

I think it the best outcome for each one of us is to just center on what nourishes life by nurthering it within and sharing that with others as best one can and then moving on undisturbed at times know one is still intact and whole within.

The good news is that TORn has the best 'consolidation' of positive, contemplative thought combined with deep innate caring for others. And that is an a wholesome life embracing thought.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.