Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Heard any good music lately ?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 8:22am

Post #26 of 37 (110 views)
Shortcut
D'oh! *smacks forehead* How could I have forgotten Chrissie Hynde? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great voice, and she really knows her way around a song.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 8:34am

Post #27 of 37 (110 views)
Shortcut
Oops! I meant Kate Nash [In reply to] Can't Post

I got it right in the body of my post but wrong with the video. Blush But glad you liked the song Smile It's sort of deceptively simple, I think.

You've got some great choices there, but I'd have to say I'm partial to the Wilson sisters and Debby Harry; they really rock!

imin
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 8:41am

Post #28 of 37 (111 views)
Shortcut
Male or female voices [In reply to] Can't Post

For me i think it depends on the genre of music to a certain extent.

If listening to rock/metal it pretty much has to be a male voice - for rock it just works better - feel the emotion/pain and intensity, the anger more.

One song i have been hearing a lot recently and heard lots of people discussing it is the song for the latest John Lewis Christmas advert - the power of love covered by Gabrielle Aplin but originally by Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

I feel Gabrielle's version is sung better and her voice is nicer to hear but i dont buy it, something about it just doesnt seem right. Where as when Holly Johnson sings it, you can feel his emotion and sincerity coming through the song - he has lived a life with the pain and heartache of love and he knows what he is singing about - so for me its the better version. Many people i have spoken to feel the same which i was kinda surprised by but secretly happy, lol.

So ultimately i guess i go to womens voices when i want to hear something sensual, more relaxing or beautiful, i turn to mens voices more when i want to feel some raw emotion and pain. This is just a generalisation though as there is so much cross over its really hard to say - love both!

As for songs i have listened to this week
1. Random songs from the extended hobbit sound track

2. ludovico einaudi - specifically
una mattina,
resta con me,
le onde,
i giorni,
nuvole bianche
dietro casa.
(i would link them if i could, sorry guys, they are beautiful pieces of music though which if you havent heard are brilliant to relax to).

3. This next song reminds me of graduating so much and forever will - it was the first song i heard after i got my results and its such an upbeat song - Not Givin' In by Rudimental - the videos this guy does are also brilliant, lots of thought has clearly gone into them, like mini movies.

imin
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 8:43am

Post #29 of 37 (119 views)
Shortcut
Oh and thanks to An Idiot Abroad [In reply to] Can't Post

I am listening to - Just Cant Get Enough by Depeche Mode - absolute classic!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 9:03am

Post #30 of 37 (112 views)
Shortcut
First of all [In reply to] Can't Post

Wild Hoes and Garden Butts...hilarious! Laugh

And yes, that M.I.A. song is really good. At first it just seems like a catchy little tune, but when you listen closely, the lyrics are very clever. It's nice to hear a song with an edge to it. And weren't those guys towards the end from the Beastie Boys?

I didn't have Rickie Lee Jones in my list, but linked to her video, "Chuck E's in Love". Like the name of that album says, she's The Duchess of Coolsville Smile

imin
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 9:08am

Post #31 of 37 (105 views)
Shortcut
Love this song to :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And yes, that M.I.A. song is really good. At first it just seems like a catchy little tune, but when you listen closely, the lyrics are very clever. It's nice to hear a song with an edge to it. And weren't those guys towards the end from the Beastie Boys?

Though for me its forever linked to Pineapple Express the movie with Seth Rogen, lol. Though for me the lyrics are kinda obvious from the get go.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 18 2013, 2:40pm

Post #32 of 37 (101 views)
Shortcut
It turns out that I had originally heard Paper Planes in Slumdog Millionaire [In reply to] Can't Post

which is why it seemed slightly familiar when I heard it again.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 18 2013, 2:43pm

Post #33 of 37 (103 views)
Shortcut
Beastie Boys [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't know on my own but when in doubt, wikipedia comes through: among those stopping by the cart are Mike D and Ad-Rock of the Beastie Boys

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 18 2013, 3:06pm

Post #34 of 37 (103 views)
Shortcut
conversations in the thread got me thinking about one of my all time favorite CDs [In reply to] Can't Post

Although to qualify the music as 'a CD' is not quite accurate. It was originally a stage production of a story told in song and dance with the music released on CD.

It's Ruth Mackenzie's Dream of the Salmon Maiden - a tale from the Kalevala. Ruth is from the Twin Cities and I saw the production when it was first staged some 10 years ago or so. I liked it well enough but a friend had the CD and when she played it during a sewing party, the music just grabbed hold of me. I spent many years listening to this music almost obsessively. There was a 10 year anniversary concert of the music only (no staging, costumes or dancing) I took a friend to and when it was over, she just turned to me and said, "Thank you so much... this was the most incredible thing ever!"

I've purchased a lot of the CDs when I come across them to give to online friends as a memento from my part of the woods... although it taps into the Nordic roots that runs deep in Minnesota. The music is now available on YouTube. I don't know that this is the artist's channel (meaning, it might be a copyright violation) but if you like it, buy the CD. Ruth is a bloke like the rest of us and makes her living as a working artist. (side note: When I worked in the public schools, there was going to be a jazz workshop for the kids. I was invited to come and I declined since jazz isn't really my thing. Then I found out the jazz singer was Ruth and I was there in a flash. I had a truly geeky moment with her later when I gushed about how much I loved Dream of a Salmon Maiden!)

Go here to access the music tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/...t=PL69B2948CBE2951B5

And go here to follow the story being sung:
http://www.omniumrecords.com/...ala/kalev_story.html

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 3:45am

Post #35 of 37 (94 views)
Shortcut
The White Album Unplugged... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now available on bootleg are the legendary "Esher" or "Kinfaun" Sessions from 1968 (Kinfaun was George Harrison's estate in Esher, Surrey). The resulting recordings of John, Paul and George playing acoustic guitars made up the bulk of what eventually became The Beatles (or The White Album). For a home recording from the late 60's, the sound is excellent (The Beatles, being quite wealthy, had a 24 track laying around).

For all you Beatles fans, here's the whole recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIOyKUs31CE

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 3:37am

Post #36 of 37 (76 views)
Shortcut
oooh nice, thankye for that :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 3:44am

Post #37 of 37 (131 views)
Shortcut
nice to re-discover stuff :D Sig ar tyr and Heliocentrics both sound cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's some more awesome Pekka Pohjola I've been listening to:

The Sighting

this awesome jazz-rock-prog song :D : Sampoliini

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.