Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you posted a Ringer Review of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
Poll: Have you posted a Ringer Review?
Yes, after my first viewing 4 / 11%
Yes, but I waited until I saw the film more times 8 / 22%
Yes, for other reasons 1 / 3%
No, but I plan to 2 / 6%
No, but I did post some review comments on The Hobbit Board 8 / 22%
No, writing reviews it just not my thing 8 / 22%
No, for other reasons 4 / 11%
Musnt' ask, not your business! 1 / 3%
36 total votes

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 17 2013, 1:19am

Post #1 of 23 (767 views)
Shortcut
Have you posted a Ringer Review of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey? Can't Post

And when did you post it?

Or if you didn't, why not?

Also, I just noticed that it will take about 100 or so more to get to 2,000 reviews, BTW -- which seems like a nice number.

Here's a link to where you can post your review in case you don't get to the Home Page very much!

http://www.theonering.net/reviews/

(This post was edited by weaver on Jan 17 2013, 1:21am)

Vangalad
Lorien

Jan 17 2013, 9:12am

Post #2 of 23 (257 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote a review after my 2nd viewing which was in 48fps. The first time was in standard 3D( because I was still in doubt about the HFR) and the movie left me with the impression that they had done a good job on bringing the hobbit to life, but surely I wanted to see it again to establish my complete opinion ( and get used to some aspects as well).

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 11:14am

Post #3 of 23 (298 views)
Shortcut
Nope. I don't really understand the purpose of the Ringer Reviews. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

Jan 17 2013, 4:22pm

Post #4 of 23 (250 views)
Shortcut
No, but I've read some by people I "know". [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed that you gave yourself only an 8 rank of fandom - and so did gramma!
And Bomby gave himself only 5.

I wonder were that puts me - at 2.7?

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 17 2013, 5:01pm

Post #5 of 23 (253 views)
Shortcut
No review, but [In reply to] Can't Post

who are you and what have you done with the real weaver??

Not only is there a footer, but there is an avatar in your posts! TongueLaughLaugh

Good to see you! Heart

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 5:04pm

Post #6 of 23 (343 views)
Shortcut
I wrote a review after my second viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

But I enjoyed the movie even more the third time in 2D. Should've posted it after that.

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:09am

Post #7 of 23 (219 views)
Shortcut
ha, you'll always be a "10" to me, sador! [In reply to] Can't Post

In my mind, I could not be a 10 since I've never gone to any of the Tolkien-film-fan things that onering sponsors, and have not read more than a smattering of the scholarly stuff. But I figured I could go above 5 since I've actually been to a scholarly conference and did those Encyclopedia entries and have made it to Half-Elven here!

And also I look nothing like Bo Derek! Though I could pass for Dudley Moore....

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:14am

Post #8 of 23 (234 views)
Shortcut
yes, hell did freeze over... [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie made it so darn easy even I could figure out how to do a footer!

For that avatar, well, guess what --turns out I just had my settings set in such a way that when I could never see my avatar, so every time I tried to post one I just figured I didn't do it right and deleted it. Could have had one years ago! I was just on the wrong channel, so to speak. But that is sort of the story of my life, ha! Maybe that is what my footer should say!

Hope to be back around this year -2012 was not good for my virtual life! Thanks for the welcome back Heart

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:18am

Post #9 of 23 (230 views)
Shortcut
Try thinking of it like our very own Rotten Tomatoes rating system.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Currently, AUJ has a 4.5 rating. That might be interesting to other people wanting to know how a bunch of Tolkien fans rated the film.

Though, of course, all the people who didn't like it might just not have bothered to post a review. Not scientific, but it's a bit of a read on how fans felt about the first Hobbit film.

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:20am

Post #10 of 23 (221 views)
Shortcut
I waited also... [In reply to] Can't Post

It took me awhile to get out of the LOTR mode so I could be open to the new story. It was like my book reading experience in reverse, when I read The Hobbit first and had a hard time transitioning to a story that did not have Bilbo as the central character. Helped that Gandalf was around both times, though!

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 18 2013, 5:23am

Post #11 of 23 (237 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious to see how many people waited until at least a second viewing... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and it would also be interesting to know if the people who rated it on the first viewing were different in any way than the people who waited. I suspect that folks less attached to the LOTR films -- people who only discovered them on DVD or Blu Ray, for example -- might not have had the "adjustment" period that I did, which kept me from falling in love at first sight....

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 18 2013, 2:34pm

Post #12 of 23 (222 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Magpie is the Queen of Explaining Technical Things. Laugh

Hope the new year treats you right. I missed seeing you around here. I was just yesterday looking at some of the old LOTR trivia threads you used to do. Those were fun!

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 3:25pm

Post #13 of 23 (238 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo wasn't the central character? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I know they expanded on the stuff outside of Bilbo, but I still think he was the central character.

I agree with your assessment about multiple viewings, though. My enjoyment of the film has gone up each time.

And, I guess, I thought posting a review would be more about the text of it than the number rankings. And I guess I'd rather write about my opinion on the film in a place where I can get direct feedback after I've written it.

(This post was edited by Kassandros on Jan 18 2013, 3:26pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 19 2013, 2:46pm

Post #14 of 23 (241 views)
Shortcut
I transfered some email thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

to a couple places on the boards with additional thoughts but not a 'formal' review. I just had fun reflecting on a few things.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 19 2013, 5:58pm

Post #15 of 23 (418 views)
Shortcut
Yes, welcome back, dear weaver [In reply to] Can't Post

A footer *and* and avatar, huh? What technical wonders will we see you doing next? Laugh

Awesome to hear you'll be around more. You were definitely missed! SmileHeart

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 7:19am

Post #16 of 23 (209 views)
Shortcut
thanks and just to clarify on Bilbo... [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Bilbo in The Hobbit, so had a hard time when I started reading LOTR and the focus of the story switched to Frodo. So my comment was more about Bilbo not being the central character in LOTR.

When I started LOTR, I wanted more of Bilbo, Gandalf and dwarves that I had come to know and love, I was glad to have Gandalf back, which helped. It took me awhile to warm up to Frodo, he was not as much fun as Bilbo! And I was not sure I wanted to get very attached to him or other hobbits, but they grew on me as the story went on, and I found myself not missing Bilbo at all after awhile!

Good point about the way the Ringer Reviews work versus other ways to comment on the film. Thanks for those insights!

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 7:23am

Post #17 of 23 (399 views)
Shortcut
thanks for leaving the light on for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and glad we finally have a Hobbit film to analyze to death! As well as all the other fun stuff around here!

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 6:02pm

Post #18 of 23 (185 views)
Shortcut
I did [In reply to] Can't Post

A second viewing only confirmed my opinions. I didn't have the problem I had with LOTR:FOTR where I had to see it three times to get past my disappointment with how it varied from the book and take the film on its own merits,

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2013, 6:49pm

Post #19 of 23 (221 views)
Shortcut
I waited [In reply to] Can't Post

It was not that I did not like it the first time, I did. The changes did not bother me at all, I am among those that found Radagast a positive overall, and the Thorin/Azog confrontation at the end of the film a fitting climax and promising addition to Bilbo and Thorin's three-film character arcs. I just had this ovewhelmed feeling, that maybe I had missed something despite liking it.

I believe, if I recall correctly, that I reviewed it after my third viewing (also my first in HFR). And in my second and third, I realized I had missed things. Some, reasonably important, like that Thorin overheard the conversation between Bilbo and Bofur. Some, maybe less so but raising my appreciation (I found the Goblin Town fight sequence amazing in HFR. I am not sure if it was HFR, or my growing familiarity with the characters, but I was suddenly able to pick up details and understand the action as a coherent whole at this viewing). These increased my liking for the movie.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 12:47am

Post #20 of 23 (236 views)
Shortcut
Need to see multiple times [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
..and it would also be interesting to know if the people who rated it on the first viewing were different in any way than the people who waited. I suspect that folks less attached to the LOTR films -- people who only discovered them on DVD or Blu Ray, for example -- might not have had the "adjustment" period that I did, which kept me from falling in love at first sight....

to love it. That was true for me for ROTK as well. There is just so much going on. I liked it the first time. Loved it the second and adored it the third.

imin
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 10:24am

Post #21 of 23 (225 views)
Shortcut
Waited until i saw it twice [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply because i didnt know about the reviews before then, haha.

It got better the second time. First time i just left mostly disappointed that it wasnt better. Second time i viewed it more as a film in its own rights rather than comparing it to the book or scenes i have imagined for years.

Fan level of 7 as i have not yet read through all of the HoME editions, still got the LOTR ones to go for the most part.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 3:56am

Post #22 of 23 (318 views)
Shortcut
No, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had planned to write one on my own blog site.....I had completely missed the fact that this place was collecting reviews in a way. So I will copy/reproduce whatever I write here as well. Anything to help out. I have seen it twice and am going a third time tomorrow morning (it is now late, late Friday evening, going Saturday morning). I enjoyed it more the second time....as for why, I'm not entirely sure, but have a pretty good idea...hopefully that comes across in my review. We'll see as I"m not so good at writey stuff down that mine eyes see inside.

kiwifan
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 12:58pm

Post #23 of 23 (423 views)
Shortcut
Since I've only seen it eight times so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel I'm not really prepared to write a review yet Wink

No, seriously, I did post some comments on the Hobbit boards after my first viewing but knew that I need to see a film many times before feeling qualified to judge it yet. It just takes me forever to assimilate all the details (if I ever will). Also, I've been struggling with illness pretty much ever since New Year's so just didn't have the energy. However, I'm still planning on doing so one of these days .... weeks.... months....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.