Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
No Free Access to Doug Adams Blog musicoflotr.com anymore?

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 15 2013, 1:30pm

Post #1 of 14 (436 views)
Shortcut
No Free Access to Doug Adams Blog musicoflotr.com anymore? Can't Post

no access without google account?
www.musicoflotr.com

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2013, 2:04pm

Post #2 of 14 (186 views)
Shortcut
It's happened at least once before to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think someone messes up with the blog settings and causes access to be denied to everyone.

The last time it happened I did email Doug, but he didn't respond and in the meantime, it got fixed.

So I wouldn't worry about it Smile

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 15 2013, 3:48pm

Post #3 of 14 (154 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

will try tomorrow again. i want to know what these bonus tracks on the special edition are about.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 15 2013, 5:27pm

Post #4 of 14 (156 views)
Shortcut
Regarding the bonus tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug has so far not been forthcoming about it - he says things along the lines of "the significance of the bonus tracks will become apparent later"...Unimpressed

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 15 2013, 7:28pm

Post #5 of 14 (168 views)
Shortcut
a little more info [In reply to] Can't Post

first, you're right that access is denied to everyone. It's not a matter of having a google account. I have one and I can't get in.

Second, the last time it happened it was deliberately done when one or more people apparently got very worked up over issues they took with the music - what we can hear in the CD and what we can hear in the movie and what music from LOTR is used and where - and they got aggressive, hostile, and demanding.

Some forums will let anyone post anything. Some forums try to get people to play nice. Doug just shut his down to let people cool off.

It was down for four days and when it came back online, he was having someone moderate comments. Here's what he wrote:

...as some of you have noticed, I have asked someone to step in and moderate comments. It is always ok to question things. However, accusations, demands, assumptions, and expressions of entitlement can get pretty unattractive. I've said before that I consider my work on these projects to essentially be a musical performance. I'm not a writer, I'm a musician. I just happen to be performing on a laptop, but it's still a form of musical expression as far as I'm concerned. I need to come at that process from a positive place, so I've asked someone to temporarily keep house so that shouting doesn't crowd out my headspace. I know, what a diva, huh? :) This will not be a permanent change. Let's just all take a deep breath, ok? Spoilers for The Hobbit: AUJ are now officially permitted. Unpleasantness still isn't.

That quote was retrieved from my RSS Reader and was made on Dec 16.

I wonder if there was a resurgence of ill will due to the pod cast he made. I posted a link here on the Hobbit boards to the podcast and got an almost immediate negative response. To be honest, I'm getting a bit weary of what Doug called this sense of 'entitlement'. Doug isn't giving me the answers I want so I declare what he gives us a 'load of nothing.' Doug doesn't have to give us anything. He tries to give us what he can. He tries to explain, within the parameters of what he can say, 'why' he can't say anything right now. He tries to reassure us that answers will come. He has a good track record of providing information (for LOTR - a whole freakin' book). But it's just not good enough for some people.

I have hung out at imdb's LOTR movie boards for years. I've met some good people over there. But I would never try to publicly encourage any of them to come to TORn - back in the day - where intelligent, witty, and civil conversations were the norm. If I wanted to recruit them (and I did a couple), I did it privately. Why? Because I was afraid that posting a link to TORn on imdb's boards would just bring the trolls over.

It's getting so I don't want to post links to Doug's blog here - at least on the Hobbit board. I know there are good people who love to discuss and ponder and can do it will good hearts and civil tongues. But it only takes one or two to sour the mood. When I got the sour response for my last post, I immediately regretted posting that link because I was afraid that sour attitude would migrate over to his blog. I don't know if it did or not. I wasn't following comments closely enough. And if there were sour attitudes, whose to say it followed the link I provided here on the message board or the one in the Home Page article that was posted. But I'm starting to think that anyone who cares about the music is probably already following Doug and those that aren't are on their own. If I think someone is keen to know more and might not know about it, I'll probably PM them a link.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2013, 6:50am

Post #6 of 14 (126 views)
Shortcut
Ah thanks Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read that post on Doug's blog but had no idea it was connected to the inaccessibility of the blog. It all makes sense now.

And yeah, Doug treads a fine line, and I feel for him when people put him on the spot for "withholding information" Crazy

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 16 2013, 7:21am

Post #7 of 14 (112 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the info...why do all forums have to end this way? [In reply to] Can't Post

it's always the same problem with message boards. someone invests a lot of work and time, everybody is having a good time, and then some people destroy that all with their rude behaviour. one of my favorite bands Paradise Lost closed their forum because of such issue, a pity! i hope that Dougs blog will continue!!!

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 16 2013, 7:23am

Post #8 of 14 (111 views)
Shortcut
i hope we will get this information... [In reply to] Can't Post

i'll stay tuned. thanks.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 11:48am

Post #9 of 14 (118 views)
Shortcut
I think I know which post you are referring to here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder if there was a resurgence of ill will due to the pod cast he made. I posted a link here on the Hobbit boards to the podcast and got an almost immediate negative response. To be honest, I'm getting a bit weary of what Doug called this sense of 'entitlement'. Doug isn't giving me the answers I want so I declare what he gives us a 'load of nothing.' Doug doesn't have to give us anything. He tries to give us what he can. He tries to explain, within the parameters of what he can say, 'why' he can't say anything right now.

You are of course absolutely right to defend Doug - there is an awful lot that he can't say, but he has managed to still be very informative and helpful.

In defence of the post that called the podcast "a load of nothing" - well, there was some interesting material to it, but I can see why some might be of the view that it wasn't of great relevance or import (I enjoyed it btw). However, I think the great majority of us are aware that this isn't Doug's fault at all - we know Doug has to tread carefully, and it is as a result of that that we don't get the sort of information that he has been completely free to give about the LOTR scores in the last 10 years. I don't think the poster in question "blamed" Doug for the podcast being "a load of nothing".

I haven't personally seen any ill will towards Doug here, and I haven't seen any on Doug's blog either, though I guess that could be because of the closures and moderations. I really honestly don't think that anyone haranguing Doug has come from these parts Smile

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 16 2013, 3:33pm

Post #10 of 14 (107 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't say I even know why Doug's blog is down now, let alone whether it has anything to do with posters that came from here to there. And yes, that comment was not all that awful, but it wasn't the only one like it made on this site (there are other places to comment than on the boards) in regards to the podcast and it was ungracious... if nothing else.

My intention when posting a link to something like that podcast is to say, "Hey... here's some information" (and that podcast gave a lot of information if one was patient enough to wait for it). When a response to that is ungracious and dismissive because it's not the sort of info one hoped for, well... I don't feel a strong motivation to help out people next time. Doug providing info is, in some respects, a gift. My (or anyone else) posting links to information is, in some respects, a gift. People put themselves out to communicate because they think people are interested. If one isn't interested in the information one can just move on. Or if one is disappointed that the one piece of info one hoped for wasn't provided, they can express that disappointment. But if it's done ungraciously without any hint of appreciation for the effort extended... well, why would any of us extend ourselves further? That's life. That's life in a civil world. We can make the internet and our social life here civil. It doesn't cost anything to say: "Gee... I was so hoping for an explanation about X. I'm disappointed I didn't get it." instead of "What a load of nothing" or "A pointless waste of time that revealed nothing!"

Believe me, when one extends an effort at communication and one gets that sort of response, it is disheartening. It does not make one want to continue putting oneself out there.

If you don't think anyone haranguing Doug could have come from these parts then you must have missed the thread I caught that, frankly, so disgusted me in it's tone and accusations that I had to make myself walk away. Both to keep from jumping in with some strong words of response... and in terms of just distancing myself from what I consider a form of ugliness.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 16 2013, 4:48pm

Post #11 of 14 (111 views)
Shortcut
fwiw: Doug just tweeted... [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug Adams
@DougAdamsLOTR
http://MusicofLOTR.com  is currently offline. We will update when possible. Thanks.

And yes... I know that says next to nothing! :-)

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsLOTR

http://www.facebook.com/...ilms/129646633723585

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 16 2013, 6:03pm

Post #12 of 14 (93 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the update! [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 18 2013, 3:07am

Post #13 of 14 (64 views)
Shortcut
Doug's blog is back up // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 18 2013, 7:17am

Post #14 of 14 (140 views)
Shortcut
yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

just saw it. thanks.Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.