Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 5:12pm

Post #1 of 16 (411 views)
Shortcut

We're off to a good start, and we'd welcome other people to take on a chapter to continue the discussion. Remember, no requirements on length, format, or scholarly expertise, just read the chapter and write down some of your observations and questions to stir up some debate.

Forthcoming list:
  • Of AulŽ and Yavanna
  • Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
  • Of Thingol and Melian
  • Of Eldamar and the Princes of the EdaliŽ
  • Of FŽanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
You can either reply with a copy of the above and put your name by the chapter, or reply to this post and put the chapter title in the subject line, as in: 'I'll take 'Of Aule and Yavanna.'//

Thanks to noWiz for handling two chapters so far. Looking forward to everyone's input!

(This post was edited by Rosie-with-the-ribbons on Jan 14 2013, 6:00pm)

sador
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 5:20pm

Post #2 of 16 (228 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for organising this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been swamped at work over the last few weeks, and frankly a bit burnt-out after the The Hobbit discussion. I still intend to catch up... but I'm afraid I can't commit to leading a chapter in the near future. Sorry.
Keep up with the good work!

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 7:51pm

Post #3 of 16 (225 views)
Shortcut
I intend to lead one! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I got swamped with going back to school and Grandma died yesterday. So it might be one of the later chapters, but I do plan to do one.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 8:47pm

Post #4 of 16 (189 views)
Shortcut
Condolences [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry for the bad news!

We'll keep you in mind for a later one. Thanks.

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Jan 14 2013, 9:58pm

Post #5 of 16 (165 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, CuriousG! // [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

VoronwŽ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 15 2013, 1:57am

Post #6 of 16 (157 views)
Shortcut
I am very sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

My deepest condolences.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Jan 15 2013, 2:10am

Post #7 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much, VoronwŽ // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jan 15 2013, 2:29am

Post #8 of 16 (146 views)
Shortcut
I am very sorry to hear this Ardamire [In reply to] Can't Post

My condolences to you and your family.

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Jan 15 2013, 2:49am

Post #9 of 16 (235 views)
Shortcut
Thanks a lot, imin // [In reply to] Can't Post

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Jan 17 2013, 9:32am

Post #10 of 16 (134 views)
Shortcut
Okay... Here's goes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I shall do "Of Thingol and Melian" -- just let me know when I'm supposed to do it. Also, please note, that it's been a while for me. *polishes armour, hones blade of sword, adjusts visor on helmet*

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2013, 9:34am

Post #11 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
That's great- font think we have diary dates for upcoming chapters, so just watch for the previous one coming to a close! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 17 2013, 1:01pm

Post #12 of 16 (132 views)
Shortcut
When you feel like it [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to your contributions, NZ. As noWiz says, we're trying an informal approach on this read-through, so we don't have a schedule, just posting anew when the previous chapter's discussion appears to be tapering off.

telain
Rohan

Jan 17 2013, 10:34pm

Post #13 of 16 (111 views)
Shortcut
I'll take "Of AulŽ and Yavanna"... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. good chapter. Nice and short.

I might aim for a post this weekend?

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 17 2013, 11:28pm

Post #14 of 16 (132 views)
Shortcut
That would be great. Thanks, Telain!// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 9:01pm

Post #15 of 16 (116 views)
Shortcut
Next chapters [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

Here's where we are with current chapter hosts. I'm taking the next one, but I want to give people more time to comment on Telain's great post before I do. Sador is gallantly trying to catch up with us, so we should wait for him, and there are others who often post (you know who you are...Smile) that I'd like to wait for also. So I'll do "Of the Coming of the Elves" mid to late next week. (Just a reminder that this is not a closed group, and people new to the Reading Room are always welcome.)

• Of AulŽ and Yavanna : Telain
  • Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor: CuriousG
  • Of Thingol and Melian: NZStrider
  • Of Eldamar and the Princes of the EldaliŽ: Weaver
  • Of FŽanor and the Unchaining of Melkor

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2013, 8:38am

Post #16 of 16 (205 views)
Shortcut
A suggestion- forging links [In reply to] Can't Post

When discussion on a new chapter starts, I suggest saying so in a comment in the discussion, with a shortcut to the new discussion.

That will alert anyone who is watching the old thread, and will help anyone coming to this discussion later.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.