Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 2:47pm

Post #1 of 24 (212 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 4:28pm

Post #2 of 24 (141 views)
Shortcut
Young Sherlock Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend of mine (who loves this movie) brought it over last night for us to watch. I hadn't seen it before, though I very much wanted to (always down for more Sherlock Holmes). I really enjoyed it! I had always thought that it was going to revolve around a much younger Sherlock Holmes (which was a bit of a fear for me), but I was glad that it was more teenage-centric. It goes right alongside movies like The Goonies and The Lost Boys for me. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the romance element, I could forgive it purely out of what they aimed for. I'll assuredly be picking this one up somewhere down the line.

Oh yeah, and it had superb visual effects, too! Cool

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 24 (139 views)
Shortcut
Looper [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be from other reviews I'd read. Solid work all around - Joseph Gordon-Levitt is firmly on my Can Do No Wrong list - and the premise is executed very well. I'm just tired of post-apocalyptic movies about the future and movies in which the best that can be hoped for as an outcome is that the hero or heroine survives in a world where every hand is turned against him or her.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 6:13pm

Post #4 of 24 (121 views)
Shortcut
Life of Pi [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow!

I was first a bit hesitant if I wanted to see the movie. Here it was promoted big time as something spiritual, looking for God. And I just wasn't sure I wanted to go see it in the theater or just wait for a DVD. So I decided to first read the book (had a bit spare time during Christmas holiday). Didn't think the book was too much on the spiritual part. So after reading the book, which I loved (different thread) and seeing the trailer again, I decided to go see it in theater. And I loved it.

The first moments with that calming music and the visuals of the zoo. It calmed me so much.
I thought the movie really sticked with the book. Of course some changes, but the most important parts were in it.
And the visuals!!! Wow, just stunning. I wish my imagination could even think of such wonderful things. Richard Parker looked amazing, I was wondering at times if they used a real tiger or cgi.
The scene where they both look into the water, you see the stars and they turn into visions from the past, wow! Absolutely loved that one.

I can very much see the movie winning the Visual Effects Oscar.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 7:02pm

Post #5 of 24 (108 views)
Shortcut
Yes, "solid" was my feeling also. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I too found the movie unpleasant for long while, though I thought the ending belatedly but impressively redeemed it, and there is the possibility of change for the better in the climactic turn of events. In retrospect, though, the film seems less impressive than it seemed when I saw it. I'd also like to know to whom the main character is supposed to be narrating his over-explicit exposition.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 7:16pm

Post #6 of 24 (128 views)
Shortcut
Life of Pi [In reply to] Can't Post

Visually stunning, amazing work with the tiger, and an engaging performance by the lead (and frequently solo) actor. A very enjoyable experience - I'm sometimes disappointed by much-hyped movies, but certainly not in this case.

I loved the discussion of "truth" and "story" regarding what really happened.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2013, 7:36pm

Post #7 of 24 (109 views)
Shortcut
My wife and daughter insisted that my son and I watch Pitch Perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

.....it was a nice, humorous movie. My son gave it a grudging "it was ok".

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 14 2013, 7:37pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 8:07pm

Post #8 of 24 (91 views)
Shortcut
What did you think of the young boy? [In reply to] Can't Post

At one point when he was in a field, and he looked up, and he broke my heart. Amazing acting at any age, and doubly so from one so young.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 8:53pm

Post #9 of 24 (93 views)
Shortcut
I'm in love with Richard Parker [In reply to] Can't Post

Like some others here, I saw Life of Pi.
For me, the mark of a satisfying film experience is when I am still thinking about it long afterwards.
There is so much in this story about love, and loss, joy and sorrow, and letting go, and facing (or not facing) terrible events, and going on. I rather like the idea that there are two parallel stories which each exist as part of a whole.

Ang Lee has already made two of my favourite films. Now he's got three on my list. Heart

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 15 2013, 3:07am

Post #10 of 24 (91 views)
Shortcut
yes, amazing // [In reply to] Can't Post

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 15 2013, 4:15am

Post #11 of 24 (91 views)
Shortcut
The Three Investigators in The Secret of Skeleton Island [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the Three Investigators books as a kid, so when I saw this DVD on a thrift store shelf I had to get it. It was much better than I expected. The acting was pretty good for kids, and the South African setting was lovely.

Apparently there's also a Three Investigators in The Secret of Terror Castle, which I'd love to see (I think that was the first book of the series that my fifth-grade teacher read to those of us who had finished our homework, thus setting a life-long habit of doing my homework early.) But unfortunately it's not available yet in Region I. I'm hoping it comes out eventually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15 2013, 4:31am

Post #12 of 24 (101 views)
Shortcut
Contact. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoy seeing science and faith walking the same path at the end - and let's face it, the way that contact is made is really cool.

Jodie Foster is great as Doctor Arraway, and she and Matthew McConaghey play beautifully the tensions of their characters' relationship.

I think that Contact has one of the best opening sequences in film.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2013, 5:20am

Post #13 of 24 (139 views)
Shortcut
"I'm going to need a bigger antenna" [In reply to] Can't Post

We got that on DVD recently. It was a delight to watch it again.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 15 2013, 1:02pm

Post #14 of 24 (74 views)
Shortcut
I watched Contact, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big fan of Carl Sagan. I watched it for the second time on Wednesday at my regular documentary night, because it started as a Cosmos night, then I watched it a third time today just because there are so many good parts.

I find Palmer to be a pretty annoying character, but I really enjoy everything else about the movie, including her relationship with him. I really love how staunch she is about her beliefs, even when the panel of selectors asks her about her spirituality, and she knows that her answer will make or break their decision, she doesn't just pander to them. Jodie Foster is incredible!

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 3:31pm

Post #15 of 24 (55 views)
Shortcut
Dredd & Frankenweenie [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked Dredd. Karl Urban ( Eomer ) did a great job portraying MegaCity's ruthless law enforcer. Lots of blood and slow motion bulets flying through criminals. Watching this, I was wishing I had seen it in 3D ( or had a 3D television ) as most of the reviews have been kind to how the movie employs the effect. My only criticism really is the hallways of the building where most of the movie takes place, looks like a bunch of generic 80's movie sets.

I am a huge Tim Burton fan, and it was great to see Tim expand on one of his first short films. Cute and creepy are on full display here, brought to life through the magic of stop-motion animation. Sparky the dog is adorable, and the 'supporting cast' of characters are great fun. I love that it's in black and white, and it was cool to learn that the artists created all the puppets and sets in black,white, and grey before filming, and didn't just switch the picture to black and white in post production. Voice talents provided by Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara, and others. I wish Mr. Burton would make all his movies via stop motion....i'm growing tired of seeing Johnny Depp in all of his films : )

Delrond
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 4:25pm

Post #16 of 24 (55 views)
Shortcut
Shutter Island [In reply to] Can't Post

Two Federal Marshals are dispatched to the Shutter Island Mental Hospital to investigate the apparent disappearance of one of the patients.

I am amazed at how well the misdirection in this film is pulled off. Even in the lighthouse scene, I still wasn't sure who was telling the truth. Until the definitive flashback by Leonardo's character.

Love this film!

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

imin
Valinor

Jan 16 2013, 1:38am

Post #17 of 24 (40 views)
Shortcut
Dredd in 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really liked Dredd. Karl Urban ( Eomer ) did a great job portraying MegaCity's ruthless law enforcer. Lots of blood and slow motion bulets flying through criminals. Watching this, I was wishing I had seen it in 3D ( or had a 3D television ) as most of the reviews have been kind to how the movie employs the effect. My only criticism really is the hallways of the building where most of the movie takes place, looks like a bunch of generic 80's movie sets.

I went to the cinema when this was released and watched it in 3D. It was awesome with some of the best usage of 3D i have seen, really worked well for the slow motion scenes which i think might look a little boring/flat in 2D. In 3D though glorious.

I also think Karl Urban was brilliant as Dredd, perfect for the role. The way he said his lines just sent shivers down my spine - you know you are in trouble when you hear him say his coming for you!

Sometimes you just want to see someone kick some a** and this is the perfect movie for that. Wish i had a 3D tv just to watch this film.

imin
Valinor

Jan 16 2013, 1:44am

Post #18 of 24 (42 views)
Shortcut
Utopia [In reply to] Can't Post

This is not a film but the first in a six part series on Channel 4 (UK), its a thriller and oh my gosh i was not expecting it to get so intense from the get go.

Really hope someone else on here has watched it, i am really intrigued to see where this will go. In terms of intensity it reminds me of the charlie brooker tv series (3 episodes), the first one which is a classic now.

Shutter Island - didnt watch it last weekend but thought i would comment anyway as i think its a great film. i had not read the book at the time the movie came out but from watching it i decided to read it. I used to (a few years ago now), not like DiCaprio but i have come to like him and his role choices. I think he is a great actor and all round a good movie which had twists in that i didnt see coming (though that doesnt take much, haha).

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 16 2013, 3:34am

Post #19 of 24 (33 views)
Shortcut
ah Jupiter Jones [In reply to] Can't Post

and the wonderful junkyard clubhouse. Rated right up there with Trixie Belden.

I will have to be more diligent in my searching of thrift store DVDs.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 16 2013, 3:36am

Post #20 of 24 (36 views)
Shortcut
I'm still not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

who it telling the truth.... or maybe it's just hoping that it was one more bit of misdirection and Leonardo's character was not crazy.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2013, 3:41am

Post #21 of 24 (36 views)
Shortcut
I love The Three Investigators too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea they'd made any of them into movies. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Silverlode

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 4:00am

Post #22 of 24 (36 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree more : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

I also think Karl Urban was brilliant as Dredd, perfect for the role. The way he said his lines just sent shivers down my spine - you know you are in trouble when you hear him say his coming for you!

Especially when he announces to everyone over a loudspeaker he's coming for you !

This is also well said imin....and I agree entirely !

Sometimes you just want to see someone kick some a** and this is the perfect movie for that. Wish i had a 3D tv just to watch this film.

I hope we see a couple more Dredd movies with Karl in the future....seems they left an opening with the Judge Anderson storyline...

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 16 2013, 9:48am

Post #23 of 24 (35 views)
Shortcut
Utopia - I thought the beginning was kind of slow [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't planned on watching it, it was on while I was frantically packing! I've recorded it so I'll watch it properly when I get back.

I thought Shutter Island was a great film as well. Slightly predictable, but great nonetheless.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 1:36pm

Post #24 of 24 (45 views)
Shortcut
Jupiter in the movie didn't quite fit my mental image. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted him to be more pudgy, and have more gravitas, though the boy that played him did a very good job. Pete and Bob were great, and the girl they met in South Africa was marvelous.

I loved that in the movie's epilogue, Jupiter is entering the contest to win the Rolls Royce :-)

I really, really want to see Terror Castle. I hope it comes out in Region I soon.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.