Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Are you happy that we have The Hobbit films?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 15 2013, 7:16pm

Post #51 of 64 (385 views)
Shortcut
They're amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

The way you construct them is like its own art form - the language and the words you choose fit the meaning of the words so well, they read like poetry :-).

Escapist
Gondor

Jan 15 2013, 7:59pm

Post #52 of 64 (374 views)
Shortcut
I'm happy we have AUJ and 2 more to look forward to. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I am really glad to have had all those moments of laughter with rooms full of people.
2. I now am able to remember all 13 dwarf names.
3. The many ways that TH and LOTR link together are now easier for me to remember, adding more enjoyment to these two stories for me.
4. I think that having this AUJ makes PJ's LOTR movies even better.
5. I am happy to see new advances in CGI technology being developed through these movies.
6. I'm glad it is 3 movies because I think I would have been missing items 1. through 4. above if not.
7. It is good to see a prequel done well.
8. Because of the detail in AUJ, I want to see the next 2 even more.
9. It's nice that something has been clearly set and decided because all of the old arguments about just how much and what to include and how to do all of it were getting repetitive. Now there are fresh new debates that haven't gotten old just yet.
10. Now that we have AUJ out, I hope all that star wars prequel curse nonsense can quiet down a little bit. I know the doomsayers aren't totally out of material (and never will be), but at least they have to find some new things to say because the stuff they were saying didn't come to pass quite ... and overall it's just nice to not hear so much anticipation of negativity that might not ever even happen borrowed early anyway and dwelt upon obsessively.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 15 2013, 8:32pm

Post #53 of 64 (359 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! *blush* why thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushBlush no one's ever said that about my acronym expansions before. I am humbly grateful BlushBlush

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2013, 9:23pm

Post #54 of 64 (366 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
2. I now am able to remember all 13 dwarf names.

Ditto here, Escapist. I could never remember them from reading the book, but now I can rattle them off without missing any.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 15 2013, 10:31pm

Post #55 of 64 (379 views)
Shortcut
hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

well, I said, I -have- an excuse to. I'm currently in the process of growing one. I should keep a diary of it or something Wink

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2013, 2:55am

Post #56 of 64 (351 views)
Shortcut
Oh please do. [In reply to] Can't Post

A pictorial diary would be awesome. :)

For Movember a few years back, a colleague had his kids draw on his face the kind of moustache and beard he should grow. Needless to say, they were creative. :D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Jan 16 2013, 3:12am

Post #57 of 64 (341 views)
Shortcut
The music! [In reply to] Can't Post

3 more movies worth of music from Howard Shore!

sador
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 7:35am

Post #58 of 64 (330 views)
Shortcut
Not that I've noticed. [In reply to] Can't Post

But at least Yazneg's name did apperar in the credits. I expect the other fellows' name did, too.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 2:14pm

Post #59 of 64 (330 views)
Shortcut
What's not to like? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. More Middle- Earth
2. More Shire
3. Martin Freeman as Bilbo-can't praise his performance enough
4. Thorin- love the portrayal of Thorin
5. Riddles in the Dark- how awesome was that scene?
6. Elrond in full battle gear
7. Seeing Rivendell from a different angle
8. Galadriel-does she look more beautiful than ever?

Of course not everything was perfect, but neither was the LOTR trilogy. I didn't care much for the portrayal of Radagast or the Goblin King. But, as a whole, love the movie and can hardly wait for the next two installments!

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 2:36pm

Post #60 of 64 (353 views)
Shortcut
More than happy!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just give me Middle Earth -- I'm not difficult to please Tongue

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 8:38pm

Post #61 of 64 (324 views)
Shortcut
yes for me, but no for my family, alas... [In reply to] Can't Post

My non-fantasy loving family members really enjoyed the LOTR Films, and so were disappointed when The Hobbit did not fit into the comfort zone they had developed for Middle Earth.

I think that the lack of "men" characters was the major reason for that. Too many dwarves, wizards and elves for them, without any "human" perspective in the story to balance it out.

I'm hoping that the next two films will have more appeal for them, when we have Bard and company involved.

Me, I loved Bilbo, Gandalf and the films made me like the dwarves more than I ever did in the book. I am also happy to have more Howard Shore to listen to, and for the chance to see a fresh but respectful approach to the storyline and the characters. I really think the film will become something that people like more and more over time, and for those who did not "get it" the first time, they may come around to it more after they see the next two, and can see this opening chapter in context.

Weaver

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 9:03pm

Post #62 of 64 (332 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ has definitely exceeded my expectations (and they were very high). I can honestly say, I love it just as much as LOTR.

1. AUJ has been my first visit to Middle-Earth on the big screen as I have been too young when LOTR came out and didn't appreciate it at that time.
2. More Middle-Earth.
3. Great acting.
4. Breathtaking landscapes, captured by wonderful camera-work.
5. Though I haven't been very fond of the dwarves in the book (too grumpy and greedy), AUJ has made me care for all of them, they were so wonderfully portrayed.
6. We see quite a different side of Gollum.
7. More Bag End.
8. I love Bilbo's dressing gown.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 10:18pm

Post #63 of 64 (328 views)
Shortcut
Very thoughtful i will say [In reply to] Can't Post

my dear weaver.

But then, we know the weaverbird to be intuitive.Smile

dreamflower
Lorien

Jan 16 2013, 10:53pm

Post #64 of 64 (388 views)
Shortcut
Am I happy? [In reply to] Can't Post

You bet!

1. More Bag End!
2. More Shire (if the only thing I liked in the movie was that gorgeous overhead shot of the Shire, I would be happy!)
3. Bilbo's dressing gown
4. The Misty Mountain song
5. Martin Freeman channeling Bilbo and Tookishness and Bagginses-ness (I made up new adjectives!) so beautifully.
6. Gandalf the Grey again!
7. Bofur--I love his characterization!
8. Andy Serkis as Gollum again.
9. EAGLES!
10. All my friends who had wandered away from the Tolkien fandom in the last 8 years wandering back and in a very creative fashion!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.