Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ebert not reviewing the Hobbit?

dawei_bilbo

Jan 13 2013, 7:44pm

Post #1 of 12 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Ebert not reviewing the Hobbit? Can't Post

I know that he has had health problems, so a late review was expected, but he has done several other reviews since the Hobbit was released, including Gangster Squad.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 7:50pm

Post #2 of 12 (747 views)
Shortcut
He may not do it [In reply to] Can't Post

if he's on twitter or something, ask him

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2013, 7:52pm

Post #3 of 12 (687 views)
Shortcut
Good, one negative review less. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 13 2013, 8:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (662 views)
Shortcut
He reviews too many films as it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

He'd be a better critic if he wasn't reviewing more than 200 every year (for about 40 years). The best critics over the years have had a schedule of half that much work, or less.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 11:52pm

Post #5 of 12 (498 views)
Shortcut
LOTR is the point where [In reply to] Can't Post

I stopped listening to Ebert. Keep him away. :)

I do wonder though why not all the positive reviews I've read are on Rotten Tomatoes? For example, I don't see any of the reviews from Aint It Cool News on there. That was like 4 positive reviews right there that could have raised the tomatometer a bit.

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 12:28am

Post #6 of 12 (529 views)
Shortcut
It is doubly disappointing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because Ebert was the single biggest champion of a 48 FPS projection process called Maxivision, which he called revolutionary. (That was analog, not digital.) Ebert fractured his hip, which is really serious business, and I hope he gets better. Yet I'd like to know if he saw the HFR and what he thought, even, as some cynics will insist for their own personal cynical amusement, that he hated it.

GhostofMacbeth
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 3:40am

Post #7 of 12 (402 views)
Shortcut
Past the point of interest [In reply to] Can't Post

A movie review is good for a couple weeks before a movie comes out 'til a couple of weeks after a movie comes out. That is the shelf life for a reviewer. I think he was ill for that and then there was little interest.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 3:43am

Post #8 of 12 (429 views)
Shortcut
Ebert is completely overrated [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Ebert:

Mad Max: Beyond The Thunderdome:
4 stars

Unforgiven
2.5 stars

Clockwork Orange
2 stars

Anaconda
3.5 stars

Gladiator
2 stars

Full Metal Jacket
2.5 stars

Speed 2
3 stars

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
2.5 stars

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
3 stars

He doesn't recognize great movies, and then he goes and gives mindless films 3+ stars.

Beren0nehanded
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 1:08pm

Post #9 of 12 (304 views)
Shortcut
This . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He doesn't recognize great movies, and then he goes and gives mindless films 3+ stars.

This is why I do not understand why people give so much credence to Ebert, RottenTomatos, or the Oscars . . . All you are doing is listening to other people's opinions about a piece of artwork! Some people may be experts about certain forms of art, but in the end, art is subjective!

Yes it is fun to discuss and debate with people about art, but when we live or die by other's opinions, we've lost our own will and way. Wink

Don't be hasty.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 1:50pm

Post #10 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
Bomby will say this once more time! [In reply to] Can't Post

People who can make movies, do
People who can't,..become critics.

Roger Ebert made 1 movie once.
He admitted that it
wasn't very good....

carrioncrow
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 2:33pm

Post #11 of 12 (279 views)
Shortcut
explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

He doesn't review all movies. He has reduced his schedule somewhat.

He has a new article up discussing the 2013 Oscar Nominations. In the article he says the only Best Picture nominee he disagrees with is LES MISERABLES (another major release for which he has not published reviewed). He makes it clear that he has seen LES MIS, did not like it at all, but was dealing with a hip fracture that prevented him from focusing on writing a full review for publication. He begrudgingly states that, since LES MIS has secured a best picture nod, he now feels duty bound to publish a full review. THE HOBBIT release may have fallen during the same window of Ebert's period of recovery/low productivity. He may have even seen THE HOBBIT, but giving its lack of award season buzz, he may have no interest, at this point, in "catching up" with a film that is old news. We may eventually get his abreviated take somewhere down the road, via a new edition of his movie guide..or upon release of the DVD.

(This post was edited by carrioncrow on Jan 14 2013, 2:36pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 3:54pm

Post #12 of 12 (282 views)
Shortcut
It got two votes as one of the ten best movies of its decade. [In reply to] Can't Post

In a poll conducted for Take One magazine in 1977. Not enough to make the cumulative top ten, but still.

Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, that is, for which Ebert wrote the screenplay.

But Ebert's former television partner, Gene Siskel, panned it in his role as Chicago Tribune critic.
(And then did so again 20 years later, in Entertainment Weekly, as I recall.)

As for the old saw about critics being failed creative artists, plenty of people do both. George Bernard Shaw is the preeminent example. But even Tolkien wrote some criticism! And in film, there have been plenty of critics who went on to become successful directors. Think especially of the French nouvelle vague, hugely influential both as critics and filmmakers.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

(This post was edited by N.E. Brigand on Jan 14 2013, 3:55pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.