Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Similar Lines

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 5:37pm

Post #1 of 23 (571 views)
Shortcut
Similar Lines Can't Post

I didn't notice it at first when seeing the movie but as I was reading the transcript I noticed a line by Thorin which was similar to Theoden

THORIN: Help? When the dragon attacked Erebor, what help came from the Elves? Orcs plundered Moria, desecrated our sacred halls. The Elves looked on and did nothing. You would ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather and betrayed my father?

THEODEN: Gondor? Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us? Where was Gon… – No, my lord Aragorn, we are alone

there is another in fact

THORIN: It's the legacy of my people it's mine to protect

DENETHOR: The rule of Gondor is Mine and no others

I've thought about how Thorin has traits of the leaders of men from LOTR he's an exiled king like Aragorn he's bitter and proud like Theoden is at times and will possibly catch the dragon sickness and go mad with power like Denethor did.just thought I'd throw that out there. anyone else know any linesor any character traits similar to ones in LOTR?

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 5:42pm

Post #2 of 23 (318 views)
Shortcut
Good catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does this mean we'll see Thorin slobber all over himself while tearing apart a chicken on top of his pile of gold? Tongue

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 5:48pm

Post #3 of 23 (314 views)
Shortcut
Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum's "mustn’t ask, not its business" (something like that) when Bilbo asks what Gollum has lost and to Frodo in TTT when asked about his name.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 5:48pm

Post #4 of 23 (292 views)
Shortcut
Do you think it's deliberate? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or do you think it's just the result of having the same screenwriters for both sets of films? I noticed it, but just assumed it was the latter (not that it bothered me).

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 5:49pm

Post #5 of 23 (301 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes while Bilbo sings his autobiographic song "Te Ballad Of Bilbo Bagins" ala Leonard Nimoy lol

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 23 (278 views)
Shortcut
Weeeelll, PJ HAS been including more songs... ;-P // [In reply to] Can't Post

'I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 5:55pm

Post #7 of 23 (273 views)
Shortcut
TORn users! They always see patterns in things that aren't there. ;-P / [In reply to] Can't Post

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 6:02pm

Post #8 of 23 (275 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that too [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a lot of simalarities betwenn the Riddles scene and the Marshes scene I think. Gollum recites a poem in both scenes.

The Hobbit

the cold hard lands
they bites our hands
they gnaws our feet
rocks and stones
are like old bones
all bare of meat
cold as death
without no breath
it's good to eat.

The Two Towers
Cold be heart and hand and bone. Cold be travellers far from home.
They do not see what lies ahead, when sun has failed and moon is dead.

and its like the first time Frodo and Bilbo meet Gollum/Smeagol too technically if that makes sense

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 6:05pm

Post #9 of 23 (269 views)
Shortcut
Like Sam's cousin Hal [In reply to] Can't Post

he's alwys saying he sees things and sometimes he sees things that ain't there

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 6:07pm

Post #10 of 23 (269 views)
Shortcut
Which is also actually part of one of Gollum's riddles in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 13 2013, 6:08pm)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 6:11pm

Post #11 of 23 (249 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

so technically they got one more riddle in there then people thought

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 6:36pm

Post #12 of 23 (251 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for this visual!!! You just made my day!!LaughTongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 6:41pm

Post #13 of 23 (276 views)
Shortcut
Somehow I still can't see Richard Armitage... [In reply to] Can't Post

...being unattractive ever, even whilst stuffing chicken in his gob. Laugh

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 7:03pm

Post #14 of 23 (216 views)
Shortcut
well, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed the similarity while watching it the second time, too!

(This post was edited by Valandil ed Imladris on Jan 13 2013, 7:03pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 7:18pm

Post #15 of 23 (210 views)
Shortcut
Similarities can be there and not be deliberate... [In reply to] Can't Post

or relevant.

But I'm not sure we are seeing things that aren't there.

When I see similarities in folk tales from across the globe, does it mean that the stories were passed from place to place or that people in different places tapped into similar ideas all on their own?

We don't have to know that to see the similarities.

You are choosing to call it 'patterns' which might codify things more strictly. But the rest of us are just finding similarities. And they are there ... at least for those of us that see them. And what's the harm in seeing them? Are we being foolish? Misled?

I have spent my life noticing similarities in things. Sometimes those things resolve into established connections (like thematic music or the movement of people across continents). Sometimes they remain a mystery as to why they are similar. But I did it long before LOTR and long before TORn.

We can take these similarities and work out if they derive from Tolkien... and let us see the books in a different way. Or maybe they don't ... maybe they are all on the part of the filmmakers. In that case, we might understand them a little better. Or maybe we just understand ourselves better by taking note about what perks to the top of our awareness. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 7:34pm

Post #16 of 23 (190 views)
Shortcut
When I read the original message... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I read the original message, I couldn't help but be reminded by a (famous) line in Doctor Who:

I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

I couldn't help post it, in the hope someone knew what I meant. Cool

In relation to the actual post, there is a similarity but I don't think it's deliberate. Perhaps I think that because I hadn't noticed it until today. If I had thought of it myself, I'd probably think it was deliberate.

Radagast_The_Cool
The Shire

Jan 13 2013, 11:02pm

Post #17 of 23 (142 views)
Shortcut
Another similar line.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In bag-end, Gandalf to Frodo: "Bilbo's ring.........It is yours now."
In bag-end, Gandalf to Thorin: "I got it (key) from your father Thrain. It is yours now."

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 3:24am

Post #18 of 23 (117 views)
Shortcut
But I bet RA would be thrilled if they asked him to do it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...being unattractive ever, even whilst stuffing chicken in his gob. Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 10:32am

Post #19 of 23 (80 views)
Shortcut
And another: [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum, Riddles in the Dark:

Up, up it goes, And yet never grows

Gollum, The Two Towers:

Up, up, up, up the stairs we go . . . until we come to, the tunnel.

Calenheniel
Bree

Jan 14 2013, 10:45am

Post #20 of 23 (72 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

He always tries to make himself look uglier, doesn't he? Laugh

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 14 2013, 4:35pm

Post #21 of 23 (70 views)
Shortcut
Elf-Dwarf issue [In reply to] Can't Post

It bothered me in the film that Thorin was ignorant of Dwarf history. Why would he blame the actions of Thranduil on all the elves? Obviously the Sindar had some issues and Thranduil had some relations so the refusal was seen as a betrayal on his part but what of Eregion.

Thorin is of the line of Durin, therefore his people are part of Moria. We all know the great relationship between the Noldor of Eregion and the Dwarves of Moria. Shouldn't he have known that Imladris was what was left of Eregion? He should know having been raised in a regal setting the events of history. Elrond and the Noldor of Eregion had no problems with Durin's folk and they were an interconnected society.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 14 2013, 4:36pm

Post #22 of 23 (56 views)
Shortcut
There's only so many ways to say things [In reply to] Can't Post

Even Shakespeare has many similar lines from play to play.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14 2013, 11:49pm

Post #23 of 23 (47 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.