Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Well bless my bark, it's time to talk about this good earth
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 8:12pm

Post #51 of 64 (57 views)
Shortcut
That's got to be have, surely? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you sure that the video isn't dubbed?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 9:06pm

Post #52 of 64 (54 views)
Shortcut
He really did talk [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not 100% sure about that particular video, but I have heard a number of recordings of Woof Woof, and he really did say words, and he sounded just like the guy who looked after him - the same intonations and everything.
He's been on National Radio, so it must be true!

And here he is on TV3 news.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 9:12pm

Post #53 of 64 (71 views)
Shortcut
And not just gardening [In reply to] Can't Post

It's for any kind of nature-watching really - anything you want to talk about. Given that we have some seasonal differences, we won't all be talking about the same things at the same time anyway. Smile
You can always tell us about your dreams and plans as you await warmer weather.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 9:15pm

Post #54 of 64 (86 views)
Shortcut
What a good idea for a retirement project [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully he will start to find the clearing phase a bit more interesting soon!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 14 2013, 11:38pm

Post #55 of 64 (50 views)
Shortcut
Huh. [In reply to] Can't Post

I take it all back. What an amazing bird! I knew about Inglewood's Pizza Hut tui but hadn't heard of Woof Woof.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 15 2013, 1:40pm

Post #56 of 64 (82 views)
Shortcut
My garden this year [In reply to] Can't Post

has been a zero-effort garden. I've been renting this house with my flatmates for 6 years, and when I arrived the garden was a pile of dead plants and grass clippings. After a year, I switched bedrooms to the one that overlooks the lawn and garden so I decided to make it pretty!

For a few years I was really enthusiastic about it, planted lots of vegetables, expanded it, added new plots, but after the earthquake and going back to study, I just didn't have the energy so I let it do it's own thing. I scatter random seeds, particularly a beneficial insect blend, so this year the garden is just whatever grew itself. I help it out with a bit of weeding and watering, and it's looking beautiful. Not many veges, but I can live with that if it means I don't have to do much work in the hot sun!

There are two trees, an ake ake (which is a NZ native, it is has strong, supple wood and little crinkly, waxy leaves. Also, the Maori word for 'forever' is 'ake ake'), and a nectarine (which never bore any edible fruit). Unfortunately the nectarine got some kind of infection and basically died, so my flatmates cut it back so just the trunk and few branches remain. It's a shame because there's not much shade for the lawn, but it's also good as it allows more sunlight to the plants below.

The main flower plot, from beneath the ake ake:

Finally achieving that overgrown cottage garden look:

My dianthus, 'Raspberry Parfait':

And my beautiful sweetpeas:

I hope I got the images right! I've never inserted pics in a post before!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15 2013, 7:23pm

Post #57 of 64 (38 views)
Shortcut
Success! [In reply to] Can't Post

On both the cottage garden and posting pictures. :)

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 15 2013, 7:23pm

Post #58 of 64 (35 views)
Shortcut
Sweetpeas [In reply to] Can't Post

Aren't they just divine?
Your photos look great to me.
And borage - I bet you have heaps of bumble bees. I once had a bright blue pair of shorts, which I often wore when I was gardening. I was usually surrounded by bumble bees when I had my blue shorts on, since they are very keen on blue flowers, and obviously thought I was one!

My dog would definitely like to eat that dianthus. The other day when when we were out walking, he started scrambling up someone's garden wall. I wondered what on earth he was doing until I saw some dianthus blooming just above it. He was trying to nibble on them. I think he sniffed those ones out, since they had such a lovely, spicy scent.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 16 2013, 4:23am

Post #59 of 64 (51 views)
Shortcut
Pics didn't turn out, and I *didn't* have a camera handy when I needed it! [In reply to] Can't Post

The only garden observations I can make are these: the Utah Celery has overwintered in an astonishing way so far, and I spotted a snowdrop (Galanthus) flower in the front yard yesterday!

I had a cool experience today, just sitting on the front porch again (in Dad's spot) before the real January returns. I caught the motion of bigger wings, and saw a Sharp-shinned hawk land fairly close to me in a birch tree by the driveway. I immediately regretted not obeying the sense that I should back in for a camera five minutes earlier...then the hawk moved closer into a Japanese maple at the corner porch post several feet away, facing me! It sat there for a while, then suddenly dove between the house and garage, into the big rhododendron where small birds shelter. A short burst of noise and seconds later, a little bird came whizzing by me under the roof and straight to the other end of the porch...followed by the hawk...who came close to hitting me in the head with a wing before freaking out and veering wildly for the open yard, smacking the second porch post in the process. It kept going, so it must be okay. I was surprised, but I think he/she was more surprised. The photographer, of course, was in the house on his comfy chair!

I'd seen this hawk go under the roof at the other end once before to divebomb birds in the bushes along the front, but from inside the house and looking down. This was up close and personal. Extreme birdwatching, I haz dun it! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 7:48pm

Post #60 of 64 (29 views)
Shortcut
How far away was the eagle? [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins must of had a pretty fair zoom.

The feathers are so beautiful.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 7:59pm

Post #61 of 64 (37 views)
Shortcut
I found these images [In reply to] Can't Post

that fit i believe

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 8:06pm

Post #62 of 64 (29 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking about 40 feet. [In reply to] Can't Post

We were in the road, and the eagle was in a tree right beside the road, maybe 20 feet up. Yes, he does have a pretty good zoom,so he gets some great wildlife photos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 8:32pm

Post #63 of 64 (29 views)
Shortcut
Well i went almost as far as Daniel.... [In reply to] Can't Post

on my trip to Toadland......*clears throat, coughs* over hill and over dale ....endless days in the wilderness.......fighting bears .......traversing raging tributaries until at last, i finally arrived.
I found the fabled toadstools along with toadchairs, and toad ottomans. I waited a fortnight, through raging storms and cold nights for the evasive toad band to appear, but to no avail. Upon at last i had to traverse the return journey with consoling thoughts of returning one day.

Angelic

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2013, 9:28pm

Post #64 of 64 (71 views)
Shortcut
The gardening shows are always talking about winter interest. [In reply to] Can't Post

My interest so far is in surviving it, not planting for it.

OhioHobbit found a book on our gardening shelf called *Winter Gardens*.

They recommend heathers and something called spring heath. It is Erica carnea, Erica darleyensis and Erica retralix. They will grow in our area according to our zone map. I don't know if England uses the same thing. We are zone 5.

There is contorted hazel which is also called Harry Lauder's Walking Stick if you have that in the U.K.

Our rhododendron is green all winter and can be kept trimmed to the size that would fit. We have to keep our trimmed on top to see the bird feeding area behind it. There are holly bushes that don't get really big also. They are beautifully evergreen. We have an evergreen ground cover called vinca minor that is beautiful all year round. We also have English ivy (Thorndale Ivy) that we don't let close to the house as it is too aggressive.

There is also a plant called wintercreeper here. It is a varigated euonymus.

Good luck with restarting the vegetable garden at the allotment. It will be lots of work, but worth it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.