Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
REALLY annoyed that HFR screenings have been pulled
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 12 2013, 5:31pm

Post #26 of 43 (203 views)
Shortcut
There are two multi-screen dealies in these parts - [In reply to] Can't Post

At the one it's only been available in HFR 3D and IMAX 3D for sometime now. In fact, that theatre was only recently built in order to open in tandem with TH:AUJ -- it literally opened the day TH went wide.

At the other place, where it was being shown in regular 2D and UltraAVX 3D all along (neither are HFR afaik), it is now only showing in UltraAVX 3D .

So in the 30th day of its run locally, on the 3 screens it is still showing, it is only available in HFR, IMAX and UltraAVX 3D.

Not sure this is a great strategy, to remove the 2D/cheaper ticket option in the final days of its run. On the other hand, if it's only repeat viewers and uber fans left wanting to see it at this late date, chances are they will see it in whatever format is available, and at any price.

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 6:47pm

Post #27 of 43 (175 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I've had plenty of fun with 2D subtitled versions [In reply to] Can't Post

and found one 3D subtitled non-HFR screening that has already been pulled, it's just that I can't contribute to the HFR discussion, as much as I'd love to.

They keep orcish and elvish but with the local actors' voices - most of them are renowned stage actors, but they can't pull this off. The WORST part is they dub the Misty Mountains song. Half the meaning and magic is lost just because of that.

I might very well be naive, I don't understand the distribution politics and such, but if movie fans start associating HFR with dubbed copies, that will be unfortunate.

Pimmiko
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 6:58pm

Post #28 of 43 (183 views)
Shortcut
Strange. Even in Finland [In reply to] Can't Post

where I live they are still showing it in HFR 3D. 4 weeks number one!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 7:01pm

Post #29 of 43 (179 views)
Shortcut
Have Cineworld pulled it from every cinema? [In reply to] Can't Post

They've removed their HFR page (with times and screens)!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 12 2013, 7:01pm)

Azog
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 7:19pm

Post #30 of 43 (177 views)
Shortcut
i went today [In reply to] Can't Post

And the guy I spoke to said Tuesday will be the last HFR Showings,at my local cineworld at least

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 7:19pm

Post #31 of 43 (166 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

You raise an important point - it's actually quite diffcult to read subtitles while watching 3D. That's generally one of the drawbacks with 3D.

Still, as you're saying, I insist that the loss from losing the original voices - especially in a movie like TH - is far greater than any gain from the new visual format.

Anyway, not to be too much off topic, I will definitely try and catch a 3D HFR screening of DoS abroad next year.

In Reply To
I wish they wouldn't dub anything at all. You cannot get the tone, the feel, the gist of the movie if it's dubbed! You need the sound of the original actors' voices! I think subtitles would be much better. Of course, I've noticed myself that with subtitles I'm busy reading rather than watching, so maybe that's why they do it. But really, I think what is lost by dubbing far outweighs what is lost by reading subtitles! (I remember watching some old Clint Eastwood westerns while I was in Germany...dubbed in German. It was laughable!)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 8:34pm

Post #32 of 43 (161 views)
Shortcut
They DUB the Misty Mountains song??!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and found one 3D subtitled non-HFR screening that has already been pulled, it's just that I can't contribute to the HFR discussion, as much as I'd love to.

They keep orcish and elvish but with the local actors' voices - most of them are renowned stage actors, but they can't pull this off. The WORST part is they dub the Misty Mountains song. Half the meaning and magic is lost just because of that.

I might very well be naive, I don't understand the distribution politics and such, but if movie fans start associating HFR with dubbed copies, that will be unfortunate.

Well that's just.....criminal!!!!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 12 2013, 8:55pm

Post #33 of 43 (147 views)
Shortcut
In all seriousness, it is. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kirly
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 9:20pm

Post #34 of 43 (153 views)
Shortcut
Looks like AMC Theatres is still showing the HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

here in Arizona (http://www.amctheatres.com/...-frame-rate-theatres).

But, I couldn't find it at www.HarkinsTheatres.com (only the IMAX 3D) which is my prefered theatre (home grown business, i like the seats better ,and it's all stadium seating).

3D doesn't matter for me since I don't believe I can see it. I can never see those 3D images and due to a couple of eye problems, don't really have the necessary stereo vision for 3D.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 9:40pm

Post #35 of 43 (136 views)
Shortcut
What made it worth it for me were two scenes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all of it, but two scenes just blew me away. Where Gandalf uses his staff in goblin town, and the riddles in the dark. The caves (which had looked so CG and flat in 2D) were so deep, and the goblins looked so real. And Gollum's cave- I really felt like I was standing there with them, looking out over the water. I'm going to see it again tomorrow night so that I can see it at least one more time before it's gone.

/yes, I would actually buy a 3D tv for this movie :)

belfalas
Bree

Jan 12 2013, 9:49pm

Post #36 of 43 (128 views)
Shortcut
Right, off to sell my grandmother... [In reply to] Can't Post

'cos I now need a 3D projector :-)
Now, where to snaffle a 48fps copy of the movie from...?

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 12 2013, 10:16pm

Post #37 of 43 (122 views)
Shortcut
"I think I'm quite ready for another..." [In reply to] Can't Post

TV :-).

Same here. I've been making do with the one we've got for a while now, but if there are going to be TVs capable of viewing HFR (maybe they're already out there?) then it's time for an upgrade!

hutch
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 12:32am

Post #38 of 43 (109 views)
Shortcut
So true [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people have blindsided themselves by prejudging to the point of no return.
Just to be safe I pleaded with my mom not to see the HFR her first time just to be safe and as it is they did. And they loved it. They had no idea what HFR was, what the arguments were. Nothing. It was the only 3-D version option for them, so they went and afterwards they were like "What were you jabbering about all this time?"
Boy, was I embarrassed. Blush

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 12:34am

Post #39 of 43 (109 views)
Shortcut
Coraline [In reply to] Can't Post

Best 3-D so far. Cool

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 12:36am

Post #40 of 43 (107 views)
Shortcut
'Tis a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if more people had seen Coraline in 3-D they would've known #-D could be done right. Alas...

Azog
Bree

Jan 13 2013, 1:33am

Post #41 of 43 (101 views)
Shortcut
im looking for a 3D TV [In reply to] Can't Post

After seeing it in 3D today,2D just doesn't compare imo

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 4:56am

Post #42 of 43 (88 views)
Shortcut
Regal Cinemas still showing 48 fps [In reply to] Can't Post

I went again tonight, afraid it would be gone soon. Theatre was almost 3/4 full, which was amazing at this point. No idea how much longer it will hang on.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 13 2013, 10:22am

Post #43 of 43 (102 views)
Shortcut
Coraline was the best animated/stop-motion 3D film ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But, the best film of all time in 3D has to be Avatar. Regardless of the quality of the storyline, no films has ever come close to that greatness in 3D. Most films just jump on the 3D bandwagon these days (and fail).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.