Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Full Movie Transcript!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 11:27am

Post #76 of 97 (161 views)
Shortcut
'nags' is certainly right... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom could be saying "these are best nags!" Unsure

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 11:31am

Post #77 of 97 (160 views)
Shortcut
Squirrel dung! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

[Bert:] “I’m just saying, a little appreciation would be nice. ‘Thank you very much, Bert,’ ‘Lovely stew, Bert’; how hard is that? Hmm, it just needs a sprinkle of squirrel dung.”
>>>
[Bert:] “I’m just saying, a little appreciation would be nice. ‘Thank you very much, Bert,’ ‘Lovely stew, Bert’; how hard is that? Hmm, it just needs a sprinkle of squirrel gut [?].”

I heard it as squirrel dung. Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Daniel James
The Shire

Jan 14 2013, 3:24pm

Post #78 of 97 (147 views)
Shortcut
Thanks a ton! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that was definitely a labor of love! I'm at my college right now, but when I get home in a few hours, I'll start adding the corrections you made. Thank you, and everyone else who has been helping out.

Follow me on Google+! http://plus.ly/DanielJames
Also, follow my Hobbit fanpage: http://gplus.to/TheHobbitMovies

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 4:02pm

Post #79 of 97 (152 views)
Shortcut
Not just you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also thought Bilbo's line was a bit rude, especially given that Bofur didn't even use the word "dragon". (Maybe Bilbo has heard of Smaug, so that just the name sufficed?) Acting a bit rude to his frustration with the dwarvish party and alarm at the notion of leaving his comfortable home is however in keeping with his character in the book. I still find it a bit confusing here.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 12:45am

Post #80 of 97 (133 views)
Shortcut
So you're here, as well! And under your own name, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just finished sending you the second part of my own notes on the AUJ transcript via email (you only know me by my real name), not realizing that you were here on TORn, too, nor that N.E. Brigand has done such a great job of correcting already --- some of our suggestions overlap/are identical; a lot of mine refer to spelling and grammar. And some other things as well.

That should teach me to check out the Hobbit boards on TORn more often ... would have saved me the trouble of getting on google plus and establishing a gmail account about which, incidentally, I'm not happy at all. Could've reached you much more easily via TORn. Oh well, that's life.

At any rate, I hope that our combined efforts will make the end product absolutely marvellous Smile
(that is, even more marvellous than it already is).

Quarter to two in the morning, absolutely have to go to bed now or I'll never shake that cold.

Have fun incorporating all the suggestions! Wink

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 12:52am

Post #81 of 97 (139 views)
Shortcut
I thought 'nag' was a colloquialism for 'horse' in general?// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Gelir
Bree

Jan 15 2013, 5:28am

Post #82 of 97 (131 views)
Shortcut
Leathery! [In reply to] Can't Post

[Bert:] “Well, it’s better than the little old farmer. All skin and bone, he was. I’m still picking bits of him out of me teeth.”
>>>
[Bert:] “Well, it’s better than [indistinguishable] old farmer. All skin and bone, he was. I’m still picking bits of him out of me teeth.”
I DON’T THINK THE PHRASE IS “little old”

I think it's "leathery old farmer." :)

Gelir
Bree

Jan 15 2013, 5:38am

Post #83 of 97 (138 views)
Shortcut
Actually I think it makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you could say that Bilbo was being impolite, but after the night he was having, who could blame him? :)

I think the stuff Bofur was saying is probably common knowledge about dragons. "Airborne fire-breather" and "extremely fond of precious metals" was probably all he needed to know . Instead of just coming out and saying it was a dragon, Bofur described it like that, and Bilbo was already out of sorts.

I think it would be similar to someone saying to me "you know, it has wings, chirps, builds nests in trees..." And it wouldn't be out of line for me to respond "yes, I know what a bird is."

Gelir
Bree

Jan 15 2013, 5:43am

Post #84 of 97 (130 views)
Shortcut
Wrath it is :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is pronounced "wroth" where I come from!!!

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/...h/data/d0083068.html

That's a useful site! :) I wasn't expecting wrath to be pronounced like it woud be in the U.S., but I didn't know about the "rawth" pronunciation. Ian Holm says it that way (making it sounding like moth). Good to know. :)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 15 2013, 5:45am

Post #85 of 97 (134 views)
Shortcut
Ah, good thought! // [In reply to] Can't Post

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 9:12am

Post #86 of 97 (127 views)
Shortcut
1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I believe it is Kili who says "we had sixteen" and Fili says "Now there's fourteen."

It is. Kili says "We had sixteen."

I can't list them all but here are a few:
Tied up in sacks: Thorin, Kili, Gloin, Bombur, Balin, Oin
On the spit: Bofur, Dori, Ori, Nori

I'm not sure about Fili, Bifur, or Dwalin

Fili is also tied up in a sack but he's not facing the camera(maybe they digitally turned his head around because it was the other actor?:) , however you can tell it's him if you know where to look, he's at the outer lower edge of the pile.

I believe Bifur might be on the spit, because they needed to dress him afterwards, I don't know about the guys in the sacks but all the guys on the spit were in their long underwear.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 15 2013, 10:22am

Post #87 of 97 (125 views)
Shortcut
Probably today [In reply to] Can't Post

When words have become more generalised. But I've always known a nag to be a small riding pony. Smile

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 11:28am

Post #88 of 97 (116 views)
Shortcut
Definitions I have found for nag now that you made me research it ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I think we're both right. I often came across colloquial expressions like 'putting money on the nags' in novels, not necessarily contemporary ones, either.

Chambers Concise Dictionary: nag: a horse, esp. a small one; a riding-horse, or an inferior horse (colloq.) [M.E. nagge]

Webster's Third New International Dictionary: small horse ... 1. a. (archaic) small light saddle horse; a riding pony
b. an inferior or aged and unsound horse c. slang: racehorse

www.dict.cc: (colloq.) a horse, esp. one that is old or in poor health

imin
Valinor

Jan 15 2013, 11:33am

Post #89 of 97 (115 views)
Shortcut
I thought nag was what women do :P [In reply to] Can't Post

lol jokes!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 15 2013, 12:26pm

Post #90 of 97 (109 views)
Shortcut
Ha! That is also true ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 10:47pm

Post #91 of 97 (107 views)
Shortcut
@ imin and DanielLB [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey you two male chauvinists Wink --- guess what I found (by sheer luck because I wanted to check out that Hamish MacBeth mystery series after finishing one of them just now):

http://www.amazon.de/Death-Hamish-Macbeth-Murder-Mystery/dp/1845297326/ref=sr_1_1?s=books-intl-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1358289892&sr=1-1

and in this case the nag is a man! Evil

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 11:16pm

Post #92 of 97 (117 views)
Shortcut
Something no one seems to have noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

is on page six of said transcript, and since I still haven't got the hang of copying and pasting bits in, I'll have to quote it.

At the end of the scene with Frodo and old Bilbo, with Frodo saying he's off to Eastfarthing Wood, the transcript reads (and you didn't correct it):

'As Bilbo runs off, the camera pans over the Shire. Bilbo sits on a bench outside his door, smoking his pipe...' and then turns into young Bilbo.

However, it is Frodo who runs off, not Bilbo, since the latter is sitting on his bench!

I sent this bit with two more pages of notes (in an email outside the TORn system) to Daniel James but so far no corrections of mine have appeared in the transcript yet. I do hope he gets them.

Daniel James
The Shire

Jan 16 2013, 5:31am

Post #93 of 97 (99 views)
Shortcut
Whoops! Corrected [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about that - I just fixed it. And yes, I saw your notes, but I've been super busy recently as college started back up again. But I'll be going through all the corrections as I find time, don't worry!

Follow me on Google+! http://plus.ly/DanielJames
Also, follow my Hobbit fanpage: http://gplus.to/TheHobbitMovies

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 16 2013, 11:31pm

Post #94 of 97 (93 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for letting me know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you got the notes (both part one and part two, I suppose) and will leave it all to you now. And don't worry about having other things to do --- most of us do, although this passionate involvement with the Hobbit film and Tolkien in general could well take up all my time if I let it ... to the detriment of everything else.

Oh, and could you drop me a quick line when you're done with the corrections? Then I can forward the link to the transcript to my nieces and their friend and they can find out how useful it is to learn a foreign language at school... Wink

Thanks again for taking so much trouble!

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 7:50pm

Post #95 of 97 (89 views)
Shortcut
This is GREAT [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think I'll be referring to it lots over the coming months! I had one (sadly incomplete) thing to add, having seen the film again last night. In Rivendell when we first see the Dwarves having their 'late-night party', before Bofur throws the sausage to Bombur you can hear Nori saying something like, 'It wasn't just me, you did the same thing' - I can't remember it word for word but I was pleased that Nori got another line in there Smile And I wonder if we'll find out what he's talking about in the EE.

Anyway, now it's over to someone else who's going to see it again to try and work out the whole line Tongue

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 19 2013, 7:59am

Post #96 of 97 (97 views)
Shortcut
Good ear. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though that line was cited in this list of suggestions, based on a transcript posted at the Council-of-Elrond site.

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jan 19 2013, 12:16pm

Post #97 of 97 (109 views)
Shortcut
Oh, nice :) [In reply to] Can't Post

They caught more than I did. Sorry I didn't read through the whole thread. Maybe I'll try tweeting Jed to see what Nori was talking about Smile

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.