Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
well, they do seem pretty sharp!

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 8:52pm

Views: 104
Shortcut
well, they do seem pretty sharp! [In reply to] Can't Post

(sorry, but someone had to say it!)

In the world of the films, they made the Ring a character, that carried out actions on its own - "it abandoned Gollum", etc. It even talks on occasion. I wouldn't put the film swords in that same category though -- I see them more as more extensions of the characters who carry them, or touchstones for the cultures and heritage they represent.

In the books, I don't see the swords as having any kind of will or intelligence though, except for Turin's. And in that case, Turin is really at his wit's end by then -- the sword-dialogue to me seems more like a manifestation of his thoughts, or a projection. Or a way to externalize his thoughts for the reader, perhaps.

And now you have me thinking of Stormbringer in the Elric saga -- which is like a very, very bad boss I once worked for!

Weaver

Subject User Time
Are the swords sentient beings? Danielos Send a private message to Danielos Jan 11 2013, 6:18pm
    You can read that Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 11 2013, 6:29pm
    Glaurung was 100% sentient! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 11 2013, 6:30pm
        Ooops... Danielos Send a private message to Danielos Jan 11 2013, 6:35pm
        Independent or not? Danielos Send a private message to Danielos Jan 11 2013, 6:36pm
            Maybe it was like The One Ring? Rane Send a private message to Rane Jan 11 2013, 6:47pm
                like a horcrux? as bad as that is to say elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Jan 11 2013, 6:55pm
        LOL ok Daniel, we know you dig the purse :P :P XD // Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb Jan 12 2013, 2:01am
            I had to slip it in there somewhere ;-) / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 12 2013, 10:32am
                Talking purses Danielos Send a private message to Danielos Jan 12 2013, 11:19am
                    If they can do talking refrigerators and cars, why not?? sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Jan 12 2013, 4:44pm
                    I see a business opportunity here Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 16 2013, 5:06pm
    interesting elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Jan 11 2013, 6:43pm
    It's a pretty multi-faceted issue. Lightice Send a private message to Lightice Jan 11 2013, 6:54pm
    It could be that Eöl had the lore to put in Anglachel Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Jan 12 2013, 1:13am
    well, they do seem pretty sharp! weaver Send a private message to weaver Jan 16 2013, 8:52pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.