Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The big showdown
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 11 2013, 6:14pm

Post #26 of 31 (110 views)
Shortcut
by the way.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that remind me that, being a movie firster, when I watched FOTR I didn't remember any of the names, except Frodo and Gandalf, but that only made it more complex and interesting, and besides that I just LOVED it ! I loved it what I feel, how real this fantasy felt, how different, and how beautifully emotional. I watched it again the next day, then again after three days, and so on until I had watched it 8 times.

By the 8th I had no doubt of who was who. And of course loved even more since then.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Jan 11 2013, 6:17pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 6:24pm

Post #27 of 31 (105 views)
Shortcut
Imagine what that's like for first time Hobbit viewers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying to keep track of the dwarves when you are coming from a blank slate would be impossible.

In Reply To
that remind me that, being a movie firster, when I watched FOTR I didn't remember any of the names, except Frodo and Gandalf, but that only made it more complex and interesting, and besides that I just LOVED it ! I loved it what I feel, how real this fantasy felt, how different, and how beautifully emotional. I watched it again the next day, then again after three days, and so on until I had watched it 8 times.

By the 8th I had no doubt of who was who. And of course loved even more since then.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 11 2013, 6:38pm

Post #28 of 31 (98 views)
Shortcut
yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know. But I guess that shouldn't prevent of loving it, as LOTR didn't prevent me of it. For me it added even more of what I love. So in the end it may be matter of taste, anyway. Besides, as with LOTR, there's the whole visual aspect of the movie, which help you to keep track if you can't memorize the names yet, at least with the main elements of the story.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Jan 11 2013, 6:41pm)

Plurmo
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 11:55pm

Post #29 of 31 (83 views)
Shortcut
FOTR is full of lyricism. AUJ is almost devoid of it.// [In reply to] Can't Post

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 12 2013, 3:50am

Post #30 of 31 (61 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And has now moved on to the LOTR trilogy. That's great news. I fear not everyone does that though ... I can imagine some people coming out of the cinema being beyond confused, and not bothering with TH or LOTR ever again. Crazy

And it's entirely possible there were people who watched LOTR were confused/didn't like it and so didn't bother with TH. That's just how it is. I honestly didn't find anything confusing about The Hobbit and more importantly neither did my mom and I don't think she's ever watched LOTR.

The way I look at if my mom, who tends to answer questions like "What are you watching on tv?" with "Oh I don't know, some show" could follow it and is interested in what happens next then no one who pays a fair amount of attention should be confused. LOL

Any movie or show you watch introduces you to characters you don't know yet(well not all of them but you get the idea:)) - lots of stories start with someone "telling a story" of what's happened in the past, in other words, we don't know them yet, we'll get to know them..

Most people do "get" that storytelling device and are not really going to question who Bilbo and Frodo are - figuring they are going to find out over the course of the story and Frodo is clearly introduced as a young relative of the storyteller, Bilbo so they know he's really just sort of an excuse to get the story going.

Seriously what is confusing? All the necessary information is practically spoon fed to us. They go through more trouble to explain things to us and show us the context than most action/fantasy/comic book films do.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 10:29am

Post #31 of 31 (117 views)
Shortcut
Ignoring the Dol Guldur sub-plot [In reply to] Can't Post

The story of The Hobbit (the Quest of Erebor) is incredibly easy to understand. It flows lovely in the films, and your right, there's nothing to be confused about.

If you asked someone who was Galadriel, what the point of the White Council is, what a Ringwraith is etc., they wouldn't have a clue. Now, this isn't a problem. After all, it's the first film of a trilogy, and there are the books and the LOTR films to read and watch. So if people are confused, they can read up about it.

But there will be people that come out and have no idea what happened. It always happens.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.